Fight cards by division ALA PFL.

chrisdiaz

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Imagine having each card defined by 2 weight classes? After watching PFL, It really does make the roster easier to manage as a fan. Something like a UFC 146. Im not saying you have to have every fighter from the weight class, UFCs roster is too big for that. If you had a few top 10s for the main card and some new comers for the prelims I think that would work well though.

The other BIG benefit of this is timetables. If some top 10 guys are fighting around the same time, its easier to match the winners up of those cards. Even with injuries, fighters would be closer to recovering around the same time depending on the injury.

It really helps with the fact you dont need to know all 200+guys on the ufc roster in any given night.

EDIT: another idea might be to make the fight night cards like this and still stack the PPVs.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It works for the PFL because of the format of the tourney. But, I think just a division or two each card would get boring pretty quickly. For me at least.

I like the idea but not a fan of them putting LHW and HW together considering its arguably the two worst male divisions in terms of skill.

I like this idea and you do see it to an extent. They usually book s lot of similar weight classes on the same cards. But not usually just dedicated to one weight.

I think it'd work as a special occasion to showcase talent

But full time nah i like a buffet serving

I like this idea and you do see it to an extent. They usually book s lot of similar weight classes on the same cards. But not usually just dedicated to one weight.
I would do 2 if not possibly 3. No more than that though or your better off leaving it the way it is.

It works for the PFL because of the format of the tourney. But, I think just a division or two each card would get boring pretty quickly. For me at least.
Maybe not all the cards need to be like this, PPVs can stay stacked from all weight classes. Fight nights could use this though and with them being almost weekly, I dont think it would effect too much.

Maybe not all the cards need to be like this, PPVs can stay stacked from all weight classes. Fight nights could use this though and with them being almost weekly, I dont think it would effect too much.

That might work. I’d have to see it to know for sure. I like the PFL, but again it’s totally different. No rankings or any bullshit like there is in the UFC. You have your two guaranteed fights. No ducking no running no trying to get ideal matchups. If you have enough points you move on. Plain and simple.

I’d have to see it.

Sounds great for the deeper divisions

Flyweight?
WMMA divisions?

I'm good on having a card littered with those divisions

PFL draws 1,000 people to their events at local YMCA's, High School auditoriums...

UFC uses home town guys in other countries for big gate revenues

wont work in Australia, Brazil, etc...

Ive said this before

Answer i got was, "UFC doesnt care about establishing 'the best' fighter, they want the popular ones to stay at the top"

PFL draws 1,000 people to their events at local YMCA's, High School auditoriums...

UFC uses home town guys in other countries for big gate revenues

wont work in Australia, Brazil, etc...

Their last card was at the Nassau Coliseum. In case you didn’t know that is an NHL barn. With a capacity of about 17,000 for an event like this. Definitely not a YMCA, or school gym.

That doesn’t mesh with your statement.

Ive said this before

Answer i got was, "UFC doesnt care about establishing 'the best' fighter, they want the popular ones to stay at the top"

Which is what is cool about the current PFL tourney. Who is the best in that setting. Of course a bad stylistic match up could knock a favoured fighter out early. But, other than that. It’s about who is the best fighter in each fight. No ducking, no sitting out. It’s great for true fight fans, the ppl to whom the actual fighting will always be the most important part. And that is a very small minority in here.

The UFC doesn’t give a fuck about who is the best. Sadly most of their “fans” don’t care about that either. A good number of the fighters don’t care about being the best either. The second they get coose to TS, the ducking, and sitting out begin. And if they win a title. The ducking and searching for money fights begin. That’s the truth as I see it.

Back