Fight Camp time again! (Feb 20th)

right hand lead

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
February 20th, 2021 will be the first MMA event in our region/state since the COVID-19 pandemic. I am lucky enough to have one of my fighters on the card! It is actually a rematch of a fight that happened December 2019. So here is the lowdown on the fight

My fighter (Patrik) is a 8-1 as a pro and his opponent (Tristyn) has a pro record of 5-2. In their first bout, the first round was a back n forth battle that could have gone either way. In the second round Patrik took over and scored a TKO finish. Now, I usually am not a fan of rematches when my guys win, but this is the fight offer and we really wanted to be on the first MMA event since COVID hit. This will be the longest break from fighting my guy has had since turning pro.

Game plan is pretty simple
- Keep it standing
- strike from distance
- feints and fakes to draw out big strikes and counter
- check leg kicks

Camp starts on Friday January 22nd!

Friday January 22nd

1 round of jump rope
1 round of shadowboxing
1 round of shadow sparring

4 rounds of mitt work
4 rounds on Thai bag

main focus during the mitt session was footwork and defense. On the bag main focus was punches to set up kicks and finishing with punches after. Throughout the mitt and bag work I was calling for sprawls just to fuck with his rhythm and piss him off a little bit lol

Sunday January 24th

Strength/conditioning

Exercises included:
Bench press
kettlebell lunges
Boxjumps
Medball slams

Tuesday January 26th

Patrik skipped training today. What was scheduled for today was Nogi bjj class followed by MMA practice. Reason for skipping is unknown at this time. This kid has a record of 8-1, and is on the brink of getting to a big show and he skips practice during fight camp.... smh

Thursday Jan 28th

nogi bjj class (1 hour)

After class he finished with 5x 6min rounds rolling. Pat got absolutely thrashed and cardio isnt where it should be this far out from fight night. To Patriks credit, he was rolling with some high level guys including a UFC fighter and a Division 1 wrestler.

Last edited:
Friday Jan 29th

2 rounds jump rope
2 rounds shadowboxing

4 rounds mittwork
4 rounds thai bag

Working the same concepts as last Friday
- footwork and distance
- punches to kicks to punches
- tons of sprawls during bag and mittwork

Standup is looking good and cardio is fine there. It is the grappling where he needs more work.

Saturday January 30th

20 mins warming up (jump rope, shadowboxing, stretches)

3 rounds kickboxing sparring with a UFC vet

3 rounds boxing with a fellow fighter who is 7-1 and also on the same fight card. These 3 rounds gave me a good look on what the fight should look like since this guy is the same size as the opponent.

Sunday January 31st

@ the regular fitness gym

Bench press
Deadlift
Pullups
med ball slams

Monday Feb 1st

2 rounds jump rope
2 rounds on the aqua bag (still warming up)

3 rounds sparring with 7-1 pro mma fighter (roughly the same size as his opponent)

The gym was pretty damn cold today. Pat usually takes 5-7 mins and then hes dripping with sweat even in the winter. Pretty weird day @ the gym

Tuesday February 2nd

no gi bjj class

Usually on Tuesday, we have a wrestling practice after jits class but it was cancelled last minute

Wednesday February 3rd

Strength and conditioning sesh tonight.

So camp hasnt been going as well as i thought it would... very usual camp for both Pat and I. Our home gym closed up during covid and merged with a new gym in January. Even though camp isnt going how I planned, I still believe my guy gets the W. There is still 16 days left till fight night, plenty of time to make up

Thursday February 4th

Pat was 2 hours late to the gym today. Thursday is usually no gi class followed by mma practice or sparring.

so when Pat got to the gym he went immediately to the bags to hurry up a warm up (8ish mins).

3 rounds kickbox sparring
1 round off
2 rounds of kickbox sparring

One of the sparring partners was the same height as his opponent, in those rounds I had Pat workin on fients and pull counters. Even tho he had his moments, I’m pretty disappointed in his sparring performance. I think that he rushed his warmup might have had something to do with his performance but still no excuse he shoulda been to the gym on time.

Saturday February 6th

10 mins to warmup

5 rounds mma sparring (safety mma gloves) - all rounds done with his cousin whos a former UFC fighter.

First 3 rounds went well, last 2 rounds was a a real struggle though. First 3 rounds Pat was able to use the techniques we have been working on. Last 2 rounds Pat was gassed, his sparring partner Had To lighten up The last 2 rounds but if he wanted to he could have really pressed Pat alot harder. 2 weeks out cardio should be better.

Sunday February 7th

strength and conditioning

bench press
deadlift

med ball circuit

Monday Feb 8th

2 rounds jump rope
1 round shadowboxing

1 round mitts
4 rounds aqua tear drop bag
1 round of mitts *with fight gloves on*

Pat got off work early today and had a good lunch, so I made this workout super hard. Seems like the days he doesnt work or gets off early I get a totally different athlete.

Tuesday February 9th

no gi bjj class followed up with wrestling practice (each class 1 hour)

Cool thread. Good luck with the rest of camp and the fight.
Do you ever feel concerned that the opponent could find this log?

Wednesday February 10th

dynamic warmup (About 10 mins)

1 round jump rope
1 round Shadowboxing

circuits
Round 1
1 min row machine
1 min mittwork
1 min row machine
1 min mittwork

round 2
10x Explosive pushup
10x squat jumps
10x Med ball slams
10x meb ball push press
10x burpees to tuck jump
Repeat 2x

round 3
Repeat of round 1

round 4
15 second battle rope sprint
45 seconds of mittwork
Repeat 5x for 5 min round

Last edited:
Cool thread. Good luck with the rest of camp and the fight.
Do you ever feel concerned that the opponent could find this log?

I actually never thought of it... But at the same time I didnt put down anyones full name!

Back