Fickle Sherdog:TJs weight cut

Someone said he was 36 lbs heavier on fight night last time against Cody so, yeah he is a pretty big guy in that sense. Add to that he's super lean, which makes the weight cut even harder.
He was 157 in cage against Cody. That's 22 pounds over 135 and 2 weight classes up. I think he's an average BW. Most guys walk around in the 160s. Assuncao walks around in the 170s and looks like he was chiseled from a marble. Idk how he makes 135.

He was 157 in cage against Cody. That's 22 pounds over 135 and 2 weight classes up. I think he's an average BW. Most guys walk around in the 160s. Assuncao walks around in the 170s and looks like he was chiseled from a marble. Idk how he makes 135.

Assuncao is listed as 5'5" but is probably 5'2 or 5'3.

Really don't care no one made him he chose to do it.. was a silly idea he already needed a sandwich while making 135.

Before Saturday: Clearly not can issue. TJ isn’t even a big BW. TJ looks awesome on the scale. Was an easy weight cut.

<mma4>

After Saturday: Clearly was a big issue. TJ is a big BW. TJ looked awful on the scale. It was a difficult, bad weight cut.

<36>

What? There seemed to be a dozen threads about how awful TJ looked from his weight cut prior to the fihgt. There was no consensus on Sherdog that the weight cut to 125 was not an issue.

I did see a few people saying he was gonna cut smart and drop muscle mass. Not just tons of water weight, so he'd just be a bit leaner but otherwise the same. Fucking LOL, he came in a desert-level dehydrated glass-jaw zombie and was lucky not to have his bone-dry brain permanently destroyed because the ref saved his silly, greedy ass.

Yeah his performance changed everyones minds. Why is that hard to understand?

Before Saturday: Clearly not can issue. TJ isn’t even a big BW. TJ looks awesome on the scale. Was an easy weight cut.

<mma4>

After Saturday: Clearly was a big issue. TJ is a big BW. TJ looked awful on the scale. It was a difficult, bad weight cut.

<36>

TJ's not a big bantamweight. However, that doesn't mean that 135 isn't his best weight class and that he didn't severely compromise himself by trying to make 125 for the first time in his adult life. Some of us tried to point out what big risk he was taking before the fight:

https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148097167/
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/148097849/

well i think the smart ones here started to get worried a bit on Thursday or Friday when it was clear he was having a rough cut.

Then in the cage he got dropped over and over by shots that hes taken clean before. It looked like DURING THE FIGHT, that the cut affected his ability to absorb a shot.

Changing your stance when you get new eveidnce doesnt make you fickle. It makes you smart

Or do you remember the people like me TS that supported Might Mouse when he said T.J. should have to make weight first and fight a contender?

Sherdog has been saying TJ won't make weight since this fight was a possibility with MM. Only actual TJ supporters and MM haters thought he could easily make.

TJ, like Faber and Cruz, weighs in the 160s normally. FFS the California AC released the incage weights for the entire card for TJ vs Cody 2. TJ rehydrated to 157 pounds. That's about 36 after weigh ins. Imagine a full week of recovery what he weighs.

He rehydrated to 149.5 against Cody 2. He has consistently said that he walks around 150 give or take.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ut-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

Faber always said that he weighed 153 before his cuts at bantamweight.

Chad rehydrated to 160.5 against Volkanovski, and he is noticeably bigger then TJ and Faber.

???

Pettis was a shell of himself at FW.

I think a 170 Pettis is going to make a decent run. Better tank. More power in strikes. Better chin. More focus on a specific opponent and not making weight. I'm pumped for his fight with WB.

that was exactly my point.
DJ claims that TJ never made 125 was substantiated and proven right.
And I used Pettis atrocious Weight Cut as an example.

And yeah, I am also pumped... btu he chose a very game opponent. will be interesting to see what happens.

Back