few thoughts on the DC-JJ fight

hfajardoe

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I believe that DC was over his head on this one. And I was really surprised to read that the majority of UFC fighters that voted pick him to beat JJ.
I don

One of the best fight IQ's out there for sure, though some may question the smartness of fighting opponents at what they are strongest at. But damn it seems to work so why not?

So you're saying your a Jon Jones fan?

I can't really tell by your post who you favour so please verify.

Jones and his camp seem to have it figured out for sure. But if you take away he reach and length would he be as effective? Obviously it a gift he is blessed with, but when he fought Gus it seem to nullify his advantage, and he did not look no where near as good as he did with shorter opponents.

1-2 are false. 3-4 are you hyping Jones.

The guy is the champ for a good reason though.

I think if DC kept it a striking match in the clinch rather than trying so hard for that takedown he could have won it... he probably expected to have the wrestling advantage and even his idiot coaches were telling him to get the takedown in the fifth, he instead needed weidmans coach telling him to put his fist through his head.

I think if DC kept it a striking match in the clinch rather than trying so hard for that takedown he could have won it...

Except that he didn't really try that hard for the takedowns once he realized he couldn't take Jones down.

Jones and his camp seem to have it figured out for sure. But if you take away he reach and length would he be as effective? Obviously it a gift he is blessed with, but when he fought Gus it seem to nullify his advantage, and he did not look no where near as good as he did with shorter opponents.

That's the problem with a lot of fans. The question of "would Jones be effective without his reach and length?" in my opinion is a moot point. Jones is the kind of guy who studies tape relentlessly, learns his opponents strengths and weaknesses, and then he sits with his coaches developing game plans on how to attack both. Only one fight out of his numerous title fights didn't go as planned...one. If Jones didn't have length and reach, I guarantee he would use whatever gifts he did have to be a champion. It's the mentality that Jon has that makes him great as well. People forget that part.

dc had a terrible gameplan. dunno what he was thinking. he woulda been better off just runing straight forwards throwing random bombs the whole time.

I incredulous Cormier'd when I saw that all the pros were picking DC.

So you're saying your a Jon Jones fan?

I can't really tell by your post who you favour so please verify.

Very ambiguous indeed. I mean, he was clearly selling jones short when he said that he dominated the fight.

That's the problem with a lot of fans. The question of "would Jones be effective without his reach and length?" in my opinion is a moot point. Jones is the kind of guy who studies tape relentlessly, learns his opponents strengths and weaknesses, and then he sits with his coaches developing game plans on how to attack both. Only one fight out of his numerous title fights didn't go as planned...one. If Jones didn't have length and reach, I guarantee he would use whatever gifts he did have to be a champion. It's the mentality that Jon has that makes him great as well. People forget that part.

I guess a rematch will tell if that is true. But no doubt love or hate him, he is a great champ.

Maybe my boxing is just awful, but the best non-instructor boxer in my gym is a 5'5 with short arms, and he wrecks me. He gets on the inside and sticks to me like glue. I have long arms, and my hooks have zero leverage at that range, my uppercuts are like t-rex arms, and if I throw a straight he ends up at a perfect angle to blast me.

people seem to forget long reach is detrimental in a phone booth fight, just like using a claymore in a hallway would be... What makes Jon maul people at any distance is that he has the best elbows in MMA, and with his freakish reach his elbows are at his opponents hook range.

for an example of what im talking about, watch tyson fight. The tall fighters can land properly with him stuck on em

DC wins in rematch

dc_zps2f4ca374.gif

I believe that DC was over his head on this one. And I was really surprised to read that the majority of UFC fighters that voted pick him to beat JJ.
I don’t understand the hate, is it envy?
What happened in UFC 182 was simple, a true champ dominate a contender. (Some haters are wondering what if the fight was even at the 3rd round…)
But also notice this:
1. DC has no punch power at all, he was hitting Jones with uppercuts but Jones didn’t even blink. Also DC world class wrestiling was a no show.
2. Did Jones choose not to finish DC in the 4 rd? was he trying to punish DC a bit extra? Is he not finishing his opponents for the extra work out? It looks like a he is teaching a seminar, the way he handles the situation always on control.
3. JJ has proven that he can beat any opponent at his own game, Sonnen at wrestling, DC grind and wrestling, Teixeira and Rua at striking…. He can mimic and adapt in an incredible way.
4. Jones is the greatest of all time by far, the competition he has faced, and the way he has solve the fights has no comparison

You sound like an SEC fan dismissing Boise State or TCU.

(1) One doesn't really know anything until the fight happens. Although it is impressive how easily JJ handled the fight.
(2) It is ALWAYS more punishing/embarassing/humbling to finish a guy
(3) JJ is impressive... even without the eyepokes.
(4) Fedor

Last edited:
Next time make the thread before the fight.

Saying everything is obvious after the fact is easy.

If it was so obvious then you should be a wealthy man.

Bones is the best fighter in the world at using his advantages. But really... His more effective strikes are kicks so he didn't really use his reach advantage for striking per se.. It's more of how he use reach is an over all mannor. And I think bones is much stronger than people realize.

3. JJ has proven that he can beat any opponent at his own game, Sonnen at wrestling, DC grind and wrestling, Teixeira and Rua at striking

Back