feminist perspective on the california shooter

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by rindan***, May 31, 2014.

1. rindan***

rindan*** Blue Belt

What exactly is a man?

This is the question that has been pounding in my head since watching Elliot Rodger's chilling "Retribution" YouTube video posted right before he went on his stabbing and shooting rampage in Isla Vista, California.

I was struck by his numerous references to being a "man," his feelings of rejection by women, his frustrated desire to have sex with them. He was a man feeling absolutely powerless, enraged at being denied the gender privilege that men enjoy in a male-dominated world.

Blend that warped sense of male grievance with mental illness, America's abundance of guns, and the epidemic of violence against women and girls on our planet, and you get prime conditions for bloody scenes like that in sunny California. To simply say "he was crazy" or "gun control is the problem" is to ignore how different forces operate together, over and over, leading to horrific slaughters in places like Newtown, Columbine and now Isla Vista.

If we examine the perpetrators of American mass murders of the last 20 years, overwhelmingly they are men. Sooner rather than later we must ask ourselves when and how we are going to redefine manhood away from violence, retribution, guns and killing? When will we teach men and boys that power comes not from the barrel of a gun, that there are other ways to express or deal with pain or trauma, ways rooted in peace, love, nonviolence?

Killer's misogynist rants inspires #YesAllWomen

That Rodger spoke so bluntly about his desire to destroy women -- although several men were caught in the crossfire of his rage, too -- speaks to a terrible pattern in our society and around the world: One in four females in America have been or will be the victim of some sort of violence from an intimate partner, including sexual assault. That number is one in three across the globe. Have men been victims of some form of violence at the hands of women? Sometimes, absolutely. But the number pales in comparison to male attacks on women and girls.

It is not simply disturbed people like Elliot Rodger, either. Last week I visited a New York high school, as I often do as a community activist and speaker, to talk about issues relevant to them. A number of the young men there thought there was nothing wrong with describing women in language eerily similar to Rodger's YouTube video. Females were referred to, for example, as "thots," a term that has exploded on social media and means "that ho over there."

These young men also said that if women dressed or behaved a certain way they deserved to be mistreated or abused or worse. Does that mean these young men will go out and kill women they hate or feel dissed by? No. But it does suggest that gender violence

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. rindan***

rindan*** Blue Belt

A powerful reaction to women-hater Elliot Rodger's killing rampage Friday night has been the Twitter hashtag #YesAllWomen, where women point out how misogyny and sexism damage them and restrict their lives. It emerged in response to the common, misguided argument that "not all men" are like that.

Of course not all men are like Elliot Rodger. But he is the product of a culture that condones and in many cases endorses the belief that if you are a "nice guy" -- or a "supreme gentleman" as Rodger described himself -- you are somehow entitled to sex with women.

Rodger and others like him believe that sex is a reward to be earned, not a consensual activity between adults who respect each other, and that women are prizes to be won, not actual people with the agency to make decisions about their own bodies.

Nowhere is this mindset more obvious than in the reactions of some men who actually sympathize with Rodger. Many of these men are self-described Pick-Up Artists, or PUAs, who employ a series of strict rules in order to manipulate women into having sex with them, referring to those women as their "targets."

Rodger allegedly participated in forums on the site PUAHate, which criticizes Pick-Up Artists not because of their obviously misogynist tactics, but because those tactics didn't work for him and other PUAHate members. The site shut down Saturday morning with the message: "PUAHate is about to get a massive amount of press," according to the watchdog Southern Poverty Law Center.

After the killings, the extent of misogyny in this community was revealed in the creation of a Facebook page called "Elliot Rodger Is an American Hero," with the advice for everyone to "share your thoughts and pay your respects to Elliot Rodger here. Also, view this final message from our beloved hero," which links to his videotaped rant, with commenters expressing solidarity with his desire for revenge against women. The page has since been taken down.

The creator of the popular PUA site "Return of Kings" -- where "women and homosexuals are prohibited from commenting" -- claimed, "More people will die unless you give men sexual options." "Manosphere" sites like Return of Kings admire "alpha males," disparage "beta males," and promote hypermasculinity.

But again, most men are not members of these hate communities and not all men hold similar beliefs. That's not the point. These views are just extreme versions of very common, socially acceptable ideas about women and sex. Rodger was undoubtedly mentally unstable, but the sexist ideas in his manifesto are, unfortunately, not the invention of a madman. They're the norm.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/27/opinion/lindin-misogyny-rodger-killings/

Puts this into perspective

3. Hadron

Hadron Banned Banned

The rest of us noticed that there is differences between males and females at a much younger age. I guess she is just a little slow.

4. SovietMusic

SovietMusic Purple Belt

#victimcomplex

5. Hadron

Hadron Banned Banned

So...end of discussion?

6. Hadron

Hadron Banned Banned

And here I thought "Beauty is more than skin deep! Men are bigs because the judge us by our characters!" was a female thing...

7. rindan***

rindan*** Blue Belt

[​IMG]

the most powerful and relevant image to come from this #yesallwomen campaign imo

8. Hatestorm

Hatestorm P4P Hottest Smelling Avatar

An "epidemic of violence against women" lol

As for the #yesallwomen thing, i'm sure i'm not the only dude who's had their ass pinched, their balls grabbed, and muscles squeezed by silly whores. In my case it started when i was 11 and the girls were 15-16, and i had to put up with this crap both in and out of school and college grounds, a long with the cat calls and lewd comments.

Contrary to popular belief, i didn't actually appreciate the physical stuff, but that's what you get for being handsome and in shape.

I'm sure i'm not the only guy on this site who has experienced this. Maybe we can have our own pity party, to put this shit in perspective.

9. Hadron

Hadron Banned Banned

Why? Who has ever argued that women aren't people? Its a big strawman.

10. RumDiaries

RumDiaries Banned Banned

Meh don't care what a bunch of whiny self absorbed bitches think. Don't think I've ever met or know and women that agree with feminists or don't hold the same opinion of them. victim mentality.

11. Its Me Austin

Its Me Austin Banned Banned

I hope I'm not the only one that thought of this:

[​IMG]

12. Rusk

Rusk Black Belt

This is not a cultural or gender issue.

13. AgeofEmpires2**

AgeofEmpires2** Silver Belt

Feminists and those who employ their slogans are a big chunk of our narcissistic culture. A psycho kills twice as many men as he does women and yet the women want to make it all about themselves.

14. Rusk

Rusk Black Belt

15. AgentOrange24

AgentOrange24 Ice Cold

Good thing I got the feminist perspective on this.

Without it, I never would have figured out that crazy people do crazy things.

16. Lord_Impaler

Lord_Impaler Brown Belt

If you truly believe what you wrote why don't you spend your time and invest your resources into empowering women, instead of just making doubly sure that they know they are weak,powerless victims.

17. rindan***

rindan*** Blue Belt

lol at 'victim mentality'

what a knee jerk cop-out reaction of the lowest denomination

I suppose any issue that you care about could be construed in the same 'whining' terms?

18. ripskater

ripskater Guest

I posted this a couple weeks ago in the feminism thread. For the Elliot Rodger's of the world, Dad never reached or connected with them on how to be a real man. Maybe cause Dad wasn't a real man himself or his father didn't connect well with him. Who knows? For the feminists of the world, I imagine their dads never connected well with them. Probably never showing them how a real man treats a woman. There are a lot of factors at play. Anyway, I believe Tony Evans hits the nail on the head with respect to feminism, and too many men not doing what we're supposed to be doing. Parts 2 and 3 are excellent as well IMO.
    [YT]watch?v=gwOAmBBqaYo[/YT]

19. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

[​IMG]

20. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

This has little to do with misogyny or men's mistreatment of women. This is purely about a guy who couldn't hack it in the dating world and decided to blame women for his failings. Trying to tie to a larger point about the male-female dynamic is unfortunate because the problem was more likely ER's inability to handle male stereotypes of how he should value himself.