Females in BJJ

I changed the post, No more bashing okay =]. Unlike most people who post unbelievable stories I have my certificates for ALL my belt =]. Now please follow the new question for now on =]

I thought the point of the thread was how to minimize the impact of breasts when rolling?

I have none (that get in the way at least. :p), so I don't really know - I just think you should have left the main question of your first post when editing it. :)

The BJJ police bash everyone claiming they do BJJ without doing it with the "right guys", so just say you do jujutsu and they'll let you go. :p

Yes, that's him =]

He is an instructor in Karate jiu jitsu and judo.

But not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

There's something you have to understand about BJJ. The black belts are few enough, and their legitimacy highly valued enough, that it does not take long to verify the lineage of anyone who claims a black belt in the art. Japanese Jiu-jitsu black belts do not transfer over to BJJ. You are not a BJJ black belt and neither is your instructor. If either of you went to a BJJ school you would be required to wear a white belt.

But not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

There's something you have to understand about BJJ. The black belts are few enough, and their legitimacy highly valued enough, that it does not take long to verify the lineage of anyone who claims a black belt in the art. Japanese Jiu-jitsu black belts do not transfer over to BJJ. You are not a BJJ black belt and neither is your instructor. If either of you went to a BJJ school you would be required to wear a white belt.

at my club he would be allowed to wear his BB... but all teh blues & purples would rape him mercilessly and take no pity

at my club he would be allowed to wear his BB... but all teh blues & purples would rape him mercilessly and take no pity

in my academy, he will be given the option to wear a blue belt instead of white.

However, I still have to see one person that took the above option.

They usually politetly declined the offer and choose the white belt option.

Got 4 girls in my team.

Haha I'd like to know a...um.... "workaround" for this too. It hardly is ever a problem, but last night, a female classmate wanted to do some drills from the mount where I have my hands up, then she posts both hands on my chest and gets to armbar position. She goes back to mount, the repeats but on the opposite side.

All's good, then she asks if I want to try. Of course I do. I'm always up for drilling. I mount, then I survey the situation and think "hmmm.... yes yes quite obtrusive." LOL.

I guess I could post on her stomach but that would be way below arm level. Any further up would be close to slipping onto her throat. :D

i think that answer to that question depends on how much you like milk

Haha I'd like to know a...um.... "workaround" for this too. It hardly is ever a problem, but last night, a female classmate wanted to do some drills from the mount where I have my hands up, then she posts both hands on my chest and gets to armbar position. She goes back to mount, the repeats but on the opposite side.

All's good, then she asks if I want to try. Of course I do. I'm always up for drilling. I mount, then I survey the situation and think "hmmm.... yes yes quite obtrusive." LOL.

I guess I could post on her stomach but that would be way below arm level. Any further up would be close to slipping onto her throat. :D
Armpits. (Hands turned north/south, thumbs "north".) That's how Roy Dean shows the mount armbar attack on his Blue Belt Requirements DVD, in part because it makes co-ed practicing of the technique less awkward.

Ive put this on here before but its something ive stuck with since it happened to me:

When I first started i was paired up with a "busty" female to do the straight arm bar drill from the mount. Like everyone is saying on here there was really no where else to put your hands. so she went first. then when it was my turn I mounted her and did the "um um uhh um well um" and this is what she told me.

Stop being a pu##y and put your damn hands on my tits and put me into an arm bar but if you squeeze them I will kick your a$$.

IMO if a woman wants to train BJJ then its something they have to live with. I have rolled with plenty of women and its never been an issue its the same as a man, some women will smash your face with thier tits, some guys will smash your face with thier balls in the north south. Its grappling and just like that motivational poster states...
"its only gay if you make eye contact"

I don't get all the pre-pubescent hemming and hawing over rolling with women. Incidental contact is unavoidable and women understand that it happens. Tits get in the way, everyone knows it, nobody makes a big deal about it.

Grow up.

Ive put this on here before but its something ive stuck with since it happened to me:

When I first started i was paired up with a "busty" female to do the straight arm bar drill from the mount. Like everyone is saying on here there was really no where else to put your hands. so she went first. then when it was my turn I mounted her and did the "um um uhh um well um" and this is what she told me.

Stop being a pu##y and put your damn hands on my tits and put me into an arm bar but if you squeeze them I will kick your a$$.

IMO if a woman wants to train BJJ then its something they have to live with. I have rolled with plenty of women and its never been an issue its the same as a man, some women will smash your face with thier tits, some guys will smash your face with thier balls in the north south. Its grappling and just like that motivational poster states...
"its only gay if you make eye contact"

Awesome attitude. I typically just make fists with my hands, and try to steer away, though sometimes you can't. At least that way you're not palming, and nobody can confuse it. At the same time, when I've rolled with women that definitely knew what they were doing, I was too busy trying to not get my butt kicked to even worry about that stuff.

Also, agreed about everyone has to live with it. Our sport is definitely not for people who have impermeable space bubbles. You're gonna get uncomfortable, deal with it. Perv out though, and I'm sure every school has colored belts to remind you why you don't do that.

We've never stopped anyone at ours from wearing whatever they like, but you better be able to prove what you've got on. We had a judo guy come by our school, wearing his black. *Extremely* good (as far as my blue self can tell), and turns out he was an Olympic alternate for the 2000 Olympics. Then on the other hand, we get the TMA guys telling us what badasses they are, come by for one class, get worked, and go away.

This is a pic of the women's class at Fifty/50 BJJ from last night.

Our program is only a year and a half old - so it's totally possible to build a solid women's program! We started with 1 student in January 2009 and now we have 13! 3/4's of our ladies train consistently in the co-ed classes and we are getting ready to take the first big group to a tournament. If you build it, they will come!

35343_10150243903150193_618165192_1.jpg

Arm pits work when arm barring girls. Whatever arm you ar taking put your thumb over her arm on that side and into her armpit. On the other side put your thumb under her arm and into her armpit. Roy Dean demos his arm bars from mount like this and call is "female friendly".

Irishspirit said:
This is a pic of the women's class at Fifty/50 BJJ from last night.

Our program is only a year and a half old - so it's totally possible to build a solid women's program! We started with 1 student in January 2009 and now we have 13! 3/4's of our ladies train consistently in the co-ed classes and we are getting ready to take the first big group to a tournament. If you build it, they will come!

35343_10150243903150193_618165192_1.jpg

I only see maybe three or four wearing the custom syr. Damn, if I trained there, I would be ALL OVER that gi :)

I got my g/f into bjj and its awesome bc now I can go up to 6x/week w/o getting harassed. She loves it.

Ehh I don't even worry about and put my hands where they need to go. If she is uncomfortable that's on her.

Back