Female Tapping a Male... Would you care personally?

I have no problem with that whatsoever. I've had to tap in judo newaza (which really is quite similar to BJJ) when sparring with female black belts, and some of them were much, much smaller than me. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that good technique will be more important than even a 50-60 pounds or so weight advantage.

I'd feel the same losing against a 120 pound man as against a 120 pound woman, really. And if anything I find it inspiring, because it means that I, as a mid-sized guy, might also be able to beat a much bigger and stronger opponent if I train hard enough.

Maybe there are some macho guys out there who feel differently, but then that's their problem to handle. I wouldn't bother too much in your case.

i was thoroughly destroyed and toyed with by Heejin Lee when she was a purple and i was a white & blue belt, you get over it :icon_lol: and with Nicolini coming to instruct at my gym for the next three weeks i am sure i'll be getting tapped quite a bit

Only girls I rolled with in this years weren't strong or technical enough to give me any kind of even small problem..

I guess that if tomorrow a purple-brown-black belt Bjj world champion girl step to my gym and taps me, I would be fine.. I mean, if I'm giving it all and she's still better than me there's not so much I can do about except accepting it..

I would have a problem if you didn't cut your nails, mail or femail. I have no issue with tapping to a person of any individual gender or combination of genders. I'm an equal opportunity tapper.

2469921.jpg

Joking.

I have no issue tapping to any female. The females at my gym are all killers.

Damn, there are a lot of you guys getting beat on by chicks.

Damn, there are a lot of you guys getting beat on by chicks.

I had a female training partner at 13 when we were both 130 lbs and we were even then, but she also smashed girls divisions up to the national level and only rondori'd with guys.

girls who train with guys regularly have very good open guards, great back takes, sneaky chokes, and sneaky footlocks.

OK, yes... so I saw a bit of from the Amanda Leve thread about the idea of a female tapping a male. I wanted to have a different thread and just asks males (I am assuming most here are adults and not teens) how would you feel if you were tapped by a female on the mat at your school or even if it were at a competition?

Back story... I am female and new to BJJ and a couple months or so back there was a guy I was rolling with. He was new too and I tapped him twice in the roll... technically three times... but the third was due to my nails unfortunately so don't really count that one. Anyway, I felt bad. I have a compassionate heart and even though I think it is super ridiculous allowing ego in between grapplers due to gender... I don't want to embarrass anyone either. I hate making people feel bad but at the end of the day, I am trying to submit you male or female though.

Honestly, I think it's silly I even have to think about this as a woman if I am rolling with a man. I mean it could even get to be a safety issue for me as if he thinks I am beating him, he may begin to use undue force/spaz/whatever and really hurt me. I am the one generally tapping at this point or just surviving until the clock runs out. However, as I get better, it could become more of an issue... For example, when I am around for a year or more and can beat some guys with only 2-3 months in.

Do you get embarrassed or have issues being submitted by a woman? Honestly. Did you used to but then got over it? What happened? Do you try to look like you don't but inwardly you can't stand it? Do a lot guys don't have an issue but it's just a few who do?

If BJJ is supposed to be about leverage and skill instead of strength, what is the big deal about woman submitting a man... just from a logical standpoint? From an ego standpoint is a whole 'nother animal...

No problem with it in theory honestly not sure if its happened yet or not but ive been outplayed by girls and it didnt bother me at all. I intend to let it happen more as I get better at jiu jitsu. How is a girl going to learn to attack if we always use muscle not to let her. I certainly don't mind letting them get position (to be honest, seeing chicks trying hard at jiu jitsu is awesome.).

Question is, how would you feel tapping a man?

Would you feel like its some kind of special achievement?

Would you think less of him? Its safer to presume to that you got the tap because he was trying to be a bit more gentle than he would with a guy than it is because he fought tooth and nail to not get tapped by a girl.

I usually tap a lot because i put myself in a bad position on purpose to learn to fight out.

Being a bigger guy this usually

No problem with it in theory honestly not sure if its happened yet or not but ive been outplayed by girls and it didnt bother me at all. I intend to let it happen more as I get better at jiu jitsu. How is a girl going to learn to attack if we always use muscle not to let her. I certainly don't mind letting them get position (to be honest, seeing chicks trying hard at jiu jitsu is awesome.).

Question is, how would you feel tapping a man?

Would you feel like its some kind of special achievement?

Would you think less of him? Its safer to presume to that you got the tap because he was trying to be a bit more gentle than he would with a guy than it is because he fought tooth and nail to not get tapped by a girl.

I always applaud partner awareness when sparring... younger vs older, small vs larger, injured vs not-injured, male vs female, etc. I think it is good to allow people to do moves in rolling and not be muscled all the time. However, if I were with someone who made it easier for me and I was getting better, I would want the force to be increased more and more (not 100% all at once) because it can't always be easy and I need to learn to do the technique. I also need to be able to learn to do techniques when force is in play or speed.

Now, how would I feel tapping a man? I think I feel awesome being able to tap any one especially being a noob. If it is someone who I perceive to be stronger or more skilled than me male or female, it adds to the good feeling for me. However, I am a firm believer in not gloating in from of someone, not drawing attention to it and moving on. Inside I may be doing cartwheels, though. :icon_lol:

I would absolutely not think less of him... I mean we all are learning right? That makes no sense to me.

I do BJJ partly because I want to add to my self-defense goodie bag. If I can tap a guy who does BJJ, it is confidence builder in case I am ever attacked in the street by Average No BJJ Joe and it goes to the ground. I know A LOT of variables come into play in self-defense scenario, but I hope you see where I am coming from.

I'm gonna switch this up a bit.

I have a female blue belt at our gym who likes to go hard against all the new guys. I'm takling elbows in the face, pushing faces away and generally very high paced all the time. She has given a few people marks on their faces and black eyes.

What she does do that I have noticed(even happend to me), is that when a newer or lower belt is getting the better of her or matching the intensity she screams in pain(whole class stops and she pretends she is injured) or likes to give a lecture to the person that they are using their strength and not technique?

I mean, I have rolled with plenty women in the past and I always go ultra light as I don't want to hurt them, but a few of the guys find it difficult to do this against a girl who is sticking elbows in your eye socket?lol

i been tapped by a girl, thrown by a girl, taken down by a girl; no problem w/it, why would it be an issue..how insecure would you have to be.

I have a female blue belt at our gym who likes to go hard against all the new guys. I'm takling elbows in the face, pushing faces away and generally very high paced all the time. She has given a few people marks on their faces and black eyes.

What she does do that I have noticed(even happend to me), is that when a newer or lower belt is getting the better of her or matching the intensity she screams in pain(whole class stops and she pretends she is injured) or likes to give a lecture to the person that they are using their strength and not technique?

I mean, I have rolled with plenty women in the past and I always go ultra light as I don't want to hurt them, but a few of the guys find it difficult to do this against a girl who is sticking elbows in your eye socket?lol

i seen this before..the exact same sh*t you are talking about; i seen it striking and grappling and it's ridiculous. i don't like it when girls or guys do it.

It's worse against a girl because the guys just try to avoid getting marks or getting injured and she will just scream/cause a scene and then the guy is seen to be a jerk.

If it was a once off then fair enough, but I've seen it happen around 5 times now and when it happened when she rolled with me a much bigger male blue belt kicked the shit out of me in rolling afterwards in some sort of weird revenge thing? Really hacked me off that training day.

I don't think it has actually happened but I wouldn't care. I don't care about the gender, race, sexuality, etc. of training partners. How I roll with training partners is based on their skill and weight--I'm a 240 pound brown belt--and that's it.

If you're there to work and train hard, I'm happy to reciprocate.

Getting tapped by a female, especially one smaller than me is the best proof that Jiu Jitsu works.

It's worse against a girl because the guys just try to avoid getting marks or getting injured and she will just scream/cause a scene and then the guy is seen to be a jerk.

If it was a once off then fair enough, but I've seen it happen around 5 times now and when it happened when she rolled with me a much bigger male blue belt kicked the shit out of me in rolling afterwards in some sort of weird revenge thing? Really hacked me off that training day.

While this was probably on you (generally safe assumption), there are often people that start BJJ but aren't really there to train hard and willing to accept the sort of pain/discomfort associated with the sport. Gender is pretty irrelevant to that and there's often a bias in remembering it more commonly for females versus males simply because the former are simply less commonly trying things out. I can't even guess how many (hundreds?) of people that have tried bjj at gyms during my time and not continued.

In this, again, gender is pretty irrelevant. I know plenty of guys who make some comment about starting slow and then try to blast you. Hell, I rolled with a douchey white belt last night that complained of people going hard on him (he also is always getting "hurt" and whining about it) who immediately tried to muscle shit.

Back