Female fighters at the "TUF 18: Rousey vs. Zingano" tryout

Whoever said darkhorse Gabby Holloway, I am going to see her fight this Saturday, dont you think if going to be on TUF they wouldnt be allowed to fight between tryouts and when show starts?

Whoever said darkhorse Gabby Holloway, I am going to see her fight this Saturday, dont you think if going to be on TUF they wouldnt be allowed to fight between tryouts and when show starts?

She probably didn't make it through and had a fight scheduled before she left just in case she didn't. Now that the tryouts have happened we'll start seeing fighters get signed to fights which is usually a good way to see who didn't make it through to the elimination round.

Last edited:

A lot of the girls who tried out have fights already scheduled. Brenda Gonzales has a fight with Rin Nakai in May. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Brenda-Gonzales-80625. The show doesnt start filming until summer so most of the fighters can still compete until they start taping

Hmm...that's a pretty big risk then, they could suffer an injury before taping begins. I'd imagine that if you're signed to appear on the show, they wouldn't let you be actively fighting elsewhere for your own health reason.

On the other hand, there's a list of alternates ready to fill in the spot for those who passed and have to pull out.

Not being able to pay your bills is a similar risk.

Every fighter faces this dilemma.

Essentially Ammies who tried out for TUF:

Laura Howarth (0-0-0) GB (4-0) as an Ammy
Lia Mata'afa (0-0-0) AS (?-?) I know she has some wins but I'm not sure about the specifics. Ammy

Laura Howarth and Lia Mata'afa have actual ammy records and good ones.

The women below I'm not sure if they even have ammy records. Alanna Casey is a power lifter at least. There are a few other sources I could check to get information of them as far as records go but there are, as of last night, not on Sherdog or Mixedmartialarts' fight finders.

Nora Yvette Lopez (0-0-0)
Jessica Pryor (0-0-0)
Alanna Casey (0-0-0)

Note: I sort of remember Jessica Pryor's name, she had a pro debut in the works but the fight fell apart earlier this year I believe.

Alanna Casey lifting:

Last edited:
Essentially Ammies who tried out for TUF:

Laura Howarth (0-0-0) GB (4-0) as an Ammy
Lia Mata'afa (0-0-0) AS (?-?) I know she has some wins but I'm not sure about the specifics. Ammy

Laura Howarth and Lia Mata'afa have actual ammy records and good ones.

The women below I'm not sure if they even have ammy records. Alanna Casey is a power lifter at least. There are a few other sources I could check to get information of them as far as records go but there are, as of last night, not on Sherdog or Mixedmartialarts' fight finders.

Nora Yvette Lopez (0-0-0)
Jessica Pryor (0-0-0)
Alanna Casey (0-0-0)

Note: I sort of remember Jessica Pryor's name, she had a pro debut in the works but the fight fell apart earlier this year I believe.

Alanna Casey lifting:

The only thing I could find on Pryor is that she is a U.S. Pankration champ, no MMA fights though that I could find.

The only thing I could find on Pryor is that she is a U.S. Pankration champ, no MMA fights though that I could find.

I saw some Pankration info for Pryor and Lia.

When a pro fight goes belly up there often no information trail left about except for sometimes on Tapology where they list cancelled fights.

I recall having Pryor on my own upcoming fight list that I use to keep track of what's coming up so I can properly update my Women's MMA by Weight Class thread.

I think I recall seeing her fight first listed on Wombat Sports' upcoming MMA/Boxing/Kickboxing/etc page.

Example, hidden in spoilers.

April 19
XFC

Last edited:
521872_10151574774596276_1692679385_n.jpg

- Hi, I'm here for the tryout...
- Congratulation, you're in the House!

Lia Mata'afa

I googled her, here's a youtube fight:

Good man.

She doesn't look half bad.

And her fighting's pretty good too. :redface:

btw@Arkain: Keep it up with the captions. Me likey.

Incidentally, this caption reflects my own desire :)

Incidentally, this caption reflects my own desire :)

Not long after posting this I remembered I had been researching Lia Mata'afa after I saw that YouTube vid last year, late at night. I'd been happy to see a newish fighter on the rise when I realized she was still an ammy.

Oh well.

Baszler, Modafieri and LaRosa on the show will be a good season.

Why is Kedzie there, I thought her Strikeforce contract was moved over?

Anyway, I'm rooting for Baszler to make it into the house and win the whole thing.

she was just interviewing people and what not. she's already in the UFC.

Not long after posting this I remembered I had been researching Lia Mata'afa after I saw that YouTube vid last year, late at night. I'd been happy to see a newish fighter on the rise when I realized she was still an ammy.

Oh well.

I wonder if they'll actually be firm with the record/age guidelines though.

I wonder if they'll actually be firm with the record/age guidelines though.

As I understand it they are giving some leeway for people who can demonstrate serious skills. They really didn't give the women enough time to get their stuff together as a whole for this TUF and they are not used to having to deal with how the women's game has worked for years so I think they need to alter and bend the rules so they work for what they want to do with TUF.

Women don't fight enough nor make enough money or have the same opportunities to either make a living off of fighting or have normal records in comparison to their male counter parts so it just makes sense they would use their regulations as a loose tool and not a chopping block for getting the right talent into the TUF house.

All my opinion, of course.

I'd be surprised if they don't take at least one hottish chick, in favor of someone else a bit more skilled. Do you have to do the interview to get in?

Back