Female Cop shot dead, first day of work

After cops complete the academy they do a field training program with a veteran officer usually consisting of 12-14 weeks. This is typically where most recruits wash out or don't make it. They respond to calls do the job with a veteran officer supervising them. So this was her first day on FTO or "on the street".
Thanks for that. BUT most LEOs I know are sworn in, then do ride-a-longs until the academy starts. This system has been going on in smaller departments in VA for decades. Is that the case here. The "just sworn in" makes me think she has not been to the academy...unless she has prior service. So please go back and read my questions and answer them if you know the answers.

Then you have the drugdealing animals with 30 convictions starting riots because a cop did their job. honestly what USA needs is a Hitler, not to kill jews but to kill every single dumbass idiot so they cant contaminate the rest of the country with their equally dumbass kids.
So all the police brutality and killing of innocent people or people posing no threat should just be swept under the rug, because some cops get killed in the line of duty. So LEOs should be given a free pass to do as they wish then??

If you like a fascist state, there's plenty out there that will suit you.

Thanks for that. BUT most LEOs I know are sworn in, then do ride-a-longs until the academy starts. This system has been going on in smaller departments in VA for decades. Is that the case here. The "just sworn in" makes me think she has not been to the academy...unless she has prior service. So please go back and read my questions and answer them if you know the answers.

My apologies misread your post. It appears that she was academy certified and had resigned from being a cop due to personal reasons but had gotten rehired and was in field training:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/35681240#fpstate=amp_viewer

Lake Braddock HS is in Fairfax. That Route 1 corridor through NoVA is awful, but most of the county is nice, and the standard of living is high by both state and national standards. Crime is nowhere close to what you have in PG Co, and in the OP article the accused was a staff sergeant living in a neighborhood of half million dollar homes. How long were you there out of curiosity? Doesn't sound like you're familiar with the area.
Quite familiar. Finished HS there and have many friends still in either PW or stafford counties. And Fredericksburg

No that's the thing . Police fatalities are most often due to errors such as crashing your car while driving around on your beat and it's far more rare to be injured or killed as a result of dealing with an assailant .
So?

Then you have the drugdealing animals with 30 convictions starting riots because a cop did their job. honestly what USA needs is a Hitler, not to kill jews but to kill every single dumbass idiot so they cant contaminate the rest of the country with their equally dumbass kids.

You'd be missed...

Just kidding :)

No one would miss you.

This isn't a question of job description. Intuitively, we think that the job of policing is incredibly dangerous, given the sorts of things police officers may be required to do in the line of duty.

Yet statistically, we can see that our perceptions are false.

It is counter-intuitive to say that the job of cop is in the bottom 20 or 30 percent of all jobs, relative to safety risk. But it is true.

Have any context for those stats? I'm curious to see how many of those construction worker deaths are due to negligence or not following proper safety procedures or due to being fatigued/intoxicated at work.

There are also far more construction workers globally than cops and they typically receive a lot less training than police officers do.

Being an astronaut is a far more dangerous job compared to a police officer or a construction worker, yet there are less astronaut deaths then both. Does this mean you would feel more comfortable being launched into space for a job instead of using a shovel to move some dirt?

Well if you insist on passing the mic , ladies and gentlemen , this is a very unfortunate event , and my thoughts are with the officer and her family . Thank goodness that it is also incredibly rare for a police officer to be injured on the job , so rare , that it's not even considered to be a dangerous job except to those who blindly support law enforcement . In fact you are far more likely to be injured and a fatality statistic if you are a truck driver or a farmer , which are but two among many many more truly dangerous professions of which policing is not .

A construction worker has a much, much higher chance of being killed/injured on the job than does a cop.

It's important to keep in perspective the actual risk to life and limb that American cops are taking in order to be able to retire after 20 years with a close to six figure pension.

And I do not fault cops their salaries. Instead, I wish every worker in the US had the economic power and leverage that a public sector union provides.

It's like you're saying a cop is displaying greater personal bravery or self-sacrifice in earning a buck than, for example, the deckhand on a deep-sea fishing vessel. Even though the deckhand's life and limb are at far, far greater risk, statistically speaking.

I think you have an emotionally motivated bias. Your position is not rational, Dr. McCoy.

Yes there are many jobs that have higher injury and death rates.

However the difference is other jobs do not require a person to go toward a situation were people are in trouble.

So what's the on the job murder rate or assault rate for theses other jobs and there is the difference. What other jobs do you risk murder or assault as a part of your job.

So all the police brutality and killing of innocent people or people posing no threat should just be swept under the rug, because some cops get killed in the line of duty. So LEOs should be given a free pass to do as they wish then??

If you like a fascist state, there's plenty out there that will suit you.
nobody killed by police has been innocent they all had extensive criminal records.

So you would choose a 1 in 100 chance of being killed accidentally over a 1 in 5000 chance of being murdered. Way to math, bro.
This is a case of statistics being the worst kind of facts. Of course youre right. Doesnt make saying "Construction workers put their lives on the line more" any less stupid.

This is a case of statistics being the worst kind of facts. Of course youre right. Doesnt make saying "Construction workers put their lives on the line more" any less stupid.

People need houses more than police , construction workers put their life on the line to give us homes . See how ridiculous it is to praise one over the other ?

Yes there are many jobs that have higher injury and death rates.

However the difference is other jobs do not require a person to go toward a situation were people are in trouble.

So what's the on the job murder rate or assault rate for theses other jobs and there is the difference. What other jobs do you risk murder or assault as a part of your job.
Convenience store clerk
Gas bar clerk
Bouncer
Prostitute
Anyone working night shift

People need houses more than police , construction workers put their life on the line to give us homes . See how ridiculous it is to praise one over the other ?
No I dont, because you're working with a bias that Clouds the part of your brain that should be telling you that going into situations prepared for firefights is more dangerous than building a house.

Our job as men has been to protect our women and children from all dangers since the dawn of time, even protect them from themselves. But lately we are not allowed to and must remain silent. This woman should have been a stay at home mom. What's next women on the front lines in combat? Blame yourself.

No I dont, because you're working with a bias that Clouds the part of your brain that should be telling you that going into situations prepared for firefights is more dangerous than building a house.
Is that same bias clouding your brain because you don't seem to realize that those firefights count for a very small percentage of fatalities and injuries .

Is that same bias clouding your brain because you don't seem to realize that those firefights count for a very small percentage of fatalities and injuries .
You would have a point if I didnt start out by acknowledging the stats. Youre being obtuse or biased just pick one.
Im sure i put my life on the line the same as cops according to you (me working at a hospital) hell im sure youd claim its worse with all the back issues people at hospitals get. Stats are great, but you have to use your brain aswell.

Im sure i put my life on the line the same as cops according to you (me working at a hospital)
Lol-Rage-Face.png

Respect to law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line to keep the rest of us safe.

What's kind of ironic about this statement you've made, is that she was killed by an active duty army staff sergeant. The kind of person often automatically given the exact kind of praise you've given this unfortunate young lady. Before this, you'd have said the same of him, no?

Anyway, this world is a cold and fucked up place, and this story is very sad.

Back