Female Cop shot dead, first day of work

Wow. Lake Ridge is where I grew up. Can't tell exactly where that is, but probably just a few miles from my old house.

So you would choose a 1 in 100 chance of being killed accidentally over a 1 in 5000 chance of being murdered. Way to math, bro.
I'm not sure where you're getting your stats but you should probably consider that it includes law enforcement in administrative duties and personnel assigned to "meter-maid" duties and the like. The whole point is that when your job description includes by necessity being involved in violent confrontations with an armed, hostile, often drug/alcohol-fueled populace, much of whom despises you by association it's a frickin' dangerous job. The mortality rate of any other profession or the proliferation of bad cops is of no consequence to the crux of the whole point, that there are good people who put themselves in the line of fire voluntarily. You don't have to blindly support law enforcement to acknowledge that.

read that she actually served before, but this was her day after a leave of absence or some ish, but either way that's messed up. I went to HS in Prince William Co, it's a pretty shitty place. not quite PG Co, Maryland status, but there's projects all over it, and section 8 housing t/o the rest. I was at the Potomac MIlls mall there (at one pt, the biggest outlet mall in the world) twice when there were shootings haha.

R.I.P. ...you should change the title to first day back at work...

read that she actually served before, but this was her day after a leave of absence or some ish, but either way that's messed up. I went to HS in Prince William Co, it's a pretty shitty place. not quite PG Co, Maryland status, but there's projects all over it, and section 8 housing t/o the rest. I was at the Potomac MIlls mall there (at one pt, the biggest outlet mall in the world) twice when there were shootings haha.

I think you and I are the only two who read the article... a little click bait by the TS...

So you completely read that into my post. Way to read what isn't there, bro

You talked about "expectations" in the workplace. A police officer punching in and "expecting" to face death that day in the line of duty is like a person getting on an airplane and expecting to be involved in a crash. Both are confusing a potentially deadly undertaking with the actually likelihood of death.

You have a far greater likelihood of being injured or killed driving your car into work than a cop does walking his/her beat. But if you don't "expect" to get in an accident you are somehow better off than a confused and paranoid police officer?

Please, feel free to explain whatever it was you were trying to communicate.

You talked about "expectations" in the workplace. A police officer punching in and "expecting" to face death that day in the line of duty is like a person getting on an airplane and expecting to be involved in a crash. Both are confusing a potentially deadly undertaking with the actually likelihood of death.

You have a far greater likelihood of being injured or killed driving your car into work than a cop does walking his/her beat. But if you don't "expect" to get in an accident you are somehow better off than a confused and paranoid police officer?

Do people call construction workers to help in domestic disputes? To protect them from knife wielding nuts?
What other job besides policing involves legitimate threats to your life by hostile people as a regular job expectation?
And I'm not talking about corrections officers.

Do people call construction workers to help in domestic disputes? To protect them from knife wielding nuts?
What other job besides policing involves legitimate threats to your life by hostile people as a regular job expectation?

You SHOULD include the COs as well. They have to watch the animals we lock up, and they are always getting attacked.

I'm not sure where you're getting your stats but you should probably consider that it includes law enforcement in administrative duties and personnel assigned to "meter-maid" duties and the like. The whole point is that when your job description includes by necessity being involved in violent confrontations with an armed, hostile, often drug/alcohol-fueled populace, much of whom despises you by association it's a frickin' dangerous job. The mortality rate of any other profession or the proliferation of bad cops is of no consequence to the crux of the whole point, that there are good people who put themselves in the line of fire voluntarily. You don't have to blindly support law enforcement to acknowledge that.

It's like you're saying a cop is displaying greater personal bravery or self-sacrifice in earning a buck than, for example, the deckhand on a deep-sea fishing vessel. Even though the deckhand's life and limb are at far, far greater risk, statistically speaking.

I think you have an emotionally motivated bias. Your position is not rational, Dr. McCoy.

It's like you're saying a cop is displaying greater personal bravery or self-sacrifice in earning a buck than, for example, the deckhand on a deep-sea fishing vessel. Even though the deckhand's life and limb are at far, far greater risk, statistically speaking.

I think you have an emotionally motivated bias. Your position is not rational, Dr. McCoy.

You see how you specified deckhand vice the captain

That is kind of like how he said there is a difference between different positions in a police department

Do people call deckhands to deal with violent criminality?
Your position is precarious here.

This isn't a question of job description. Intuitively, we think that the job of policing is incredibly dangerous, given the sorts of things police officers may be required to do in the line of duty.

Yet statistically, we can see that our perceptions are false.

It is counter-intuitive to say that the job of cop is in the bottom 20 or 30 percent of all jobs, relative to safety risk. But it is true.

Statistically it has been proven its best to actually post statistics and how they compiled them

People saying that there are more dangerous jobs out there then being a cop make me lol. You have a valid point, but there's a difference between having a tree fall on you and someone shooting at you.

Not quite PG Co? How about not even close? Plenty of great neighborhoods in PWC like Haymarket, Bristow, Lake Ridge, Gainesville, parts of Manassas, and I'm sure others. Where are you talking about, other than Potomac Mills, which is indeed a shithole?

Nah, I probably have as much negative as positive to say about US law enforcement. I just think that denying the hazards of law enforcement it silly, I wouldn't want the job. I don't think that pointing out the statistical probability that space shuttle pilot is a more hazardous job diminishes the fact that being a cop is not exactly the safest line of work. Most jobs are highly improbable to lead to getting shot to death as a result of employment. (Plus a cop could die driving to work just like anyone else so throw that one out.) Plumbers don't get shot that much. Hat's off to deep sea fishing dudes though, that shit's insane.

Of course I'm a Doctor, not a statistician dammit.

it's a matter of predictability. a person on a plane has a well maintenanced, well monitored airplane being flown by two experienced pilots with air traffic controllers monitoring them. there's an entire sophisticated system backing that whole thing up. which is why the chances of dying in a plane crash are really remote.

cop deals with people, and people are unpredictable. might get shot in the face on a traffic stop or responding to a domestic call like in this case. so that right there adds a much more stressful work environment regardless of any stats you want to provide on the likelihood of dying. sometimes it's not even people being violent, it's just people being stupid and putting you in dangerous situations.

and also depends where you are a cop. i'd be more nervous being a cop in oakland or detroit than some small rural town of 20,000 people. so it's silly to sit there and quote some stat like "well you are more likely to die going to work." so what. you may even be more likely to die on the shitter from a heavy book falling on you, or getting your face ripped off by a roaming zoo monkey. it's a completely irrelevant comparison to people that take on an occupation of inherent safety risk.

all just common sense. i think you'd be a pretty shitty cop if you have an ambivalent attitude walking around like you are a hall monitor in an elementary school.

Lol for what reason?
Probably the whole "if I had a son he would have looked like Trayvon" thing. Apparently that one sentence disrupted racial harmony in the States, to hear some guys talk about it.

RIP to the officer. Cops have a tough job and the fact that some of them are scum doesn't mean that all should be painted with the same brush.

People saying that there are more dangerous jobs out there then being a cop make me lol. You have a valid point, but there's a difference between having a tree fall on you and someone shooting at you.
No that's the thing . Police fatalities are most often due to errors such as crashing your car while driving around on your beat and it's far more rare to be injured or killed as a result of dealing with an assailant .

Back