Felt Multiple Pops in Arm while Throwing a Headlock...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TheSecondRush, Feb 23, 2016.

1. TheSecondRush

TheSecondRush White Belt

I was wrestling yesterday at my club team practice and went for a headlock against a much bigger guy. Arm hit, guy didn't budge, but my body kept rotating. Felt two series of pops: first one as I was rotating, second as I turned back to bail out after onset of pain.

It's a day later and I'm starting to worry I may have torn my biceps. Pain/weakness is localized where the chest meets the shoulder, shoulder, and down the first third of bicep. Having significant trouble doing any motion that requires chest to flex or rotating my forearm outward. Also just noticed bruising along the first third of the bicep. No tell-tale balled up bicep deformity, though.

Has anyone here had a similar injury experience? Does this need to get checked out?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. DrJitsu

DrJitsu Orange Belt

could be a torn glenoid labrum. any popping? instability? any pain with moving your arm over your head or throwing a ball? If any of this is present, I would get it checked out.

Could also be a number of other things- like acromioclavicular sprain- but this wouldn't cause the above issues.

3. ben35

ben35 White Belt

Torn pectoralis. Yes, check it out. Bruising means something is torn and bled.

siidi likes this.
  4. TheSecondRush

TheSecondRush White Belt

Good call, just got the MRI results back from the doctor. Fully torn pec :(

5. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Ouch dude. I have a buddy that waited to long to get his torn pec checked out. There is really nothing they can do for him now. Hope you caught it in time to help fix it.

6. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

when I first start reading this I thought "another one looking for medical assessment on sherdog??"

but you went in and got checked by a professional. I'm really sorry about your torn pec. Hope the recovery goes well.

7. deadlizard

deadlizard cold blooded

I thought for sure he had AIDS.

8. TheSecondRush

TheSecondRush White Belt

Still waiting for the results on that one. Thought I should prioritize the chest.