1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Feeling Stuck

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snowolf17, Oct 3, 2010.

1. snowolf17

snowolf17 Yellow Belt

So ive been training BJJ for almost three months and from what ive heard the first six months to a year tend to be the roughest in BJJ but i am feeling a bit frustrated with myself, i train at the very least two times a week more if i can work it into my schedule and it seems that the only people i can tap are people that are brand new or that have been doing BJJ about as long as me. I really enjoy rolling with guys that are better then me (aka blue belts a few purples and when i can my instructors who are both black belts) yet i feel like im always in survival mode with them. When did you guys start finding yourselfs getting to dominant positions with people that have more exerpience then you? i feel like i cant even begin an attack most of the time, just wondering if anyone had some advice or insights on this thanks.

2. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

5 months here, same boat as you. But you're supposed to just be in survival mode with those higher belts right now. Don't worry about submitting them, etc. Keep working on your basics and defending when you roll with them. Put submitting them out of your mind when rolling with them for a while. Work on your defense. It should improve by leaps and bounds if you put all your energy into that.

Keep working on your subs/getting dominant position with guys your own level or lower for the time being.

3. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

Think of Bjj like an escalator.

You are going to manually fly past the people who got on before you unless they either get off and you keep going or you do something to catch up (privates/much much more mat time on avg/ etc). Right now 2 times a week for 3 months is not even close to being able to catch these blues and purples.

4. Bullheaded

Bullheaded Green Belt

Almost never. I'm one year into training, and I can count on two hands the number of time I've been dominating a more experienced guy, and by more experienced I mean someone with at least one more year of training. I've subbed one as far as I remember and that's it.

Although, at least, you'll see more and more openings, more and more ways to get out of subs, more and more openings for a sweep or a sub. Doesn't mean you'll get them, but progressively you'll see them, and with the right amount of time and technique you'll get them.

5. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

i'm 9 months in and can threaten experienced blues. by threaten i mean catch them with a sweep or pass their guard now and then.. but usually if they get into a dominate position i spend most of the time try to escape and rarely can get back the upper hand.

as far as the purple and above belts it's still fun but they pretty much walk all over me. the only difference now i can see the simple mistakes i make which postpones the inevitable a little longer. although i'm getting beat down by these guys rolling with them now after having a little time under my belt helps me more than anything else... now i try and do what they do to me to people around my level and it really tightens up your game.

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green White Belt

One of the greatest things about this sport is that it is very technical in nature. Because of that technique and experience mean a lot more then in some other sports.

After 3 months you'll just be getting started, even after 5 years there will still be a lot to learn and improve on and more experienced guys will still be able to dominate you based on knowledge.

This is a good thing, it means you get to peak late and never stop learning when it comes to refining techniques and strategies.

Congratulations, you just started a life long sport that will challenge you mentally and physically for many years, instead of one that you can learn in 6 months and beyond that be 95% physical attributes ;)

7. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

It is almost impossible to get myself in dominant position with people with more experience.

The only time I do is because they chose to put themselves in such position.

Stop worrying on defeating higher belts.

8. OMS

OMS White Belt

This.

9. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

Sounds normal, keep workout and things will get better.

10. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

3 months? You're still in diapers as far as BJJ is concerned. You're still so young, the more experienced players feel the need to slap the lightbulb out of your hand, saying it's not a chew toy.

You're still making some stupid decisions regarding your game whether you see them or not. That's the beauty of BJJ as a club though, the older guys can help you get potty-trained and into big boy pants.

At 3 months, if you're constantly getting the upper hand on higher belts, they're doing something wrong.

I've had 4+ years HS wrestling along with 6 months of BJJ. The only thing I can do consistently to high whites/low blues is positionally dominate once (if) I pass guard. That's it. I can only threaten with head/arm chokes, cross-lapel choke from mount, americana, or kimura. That's my entire game right now, so if you're even an iota more experienced then the average white belt/blue belt, I'm in trouble. But that's okay.

If you're not losing, you're not learning.

11. matzah

matzah Blue Belt

This.

Great metaphor. I'm going to use this.