Feeling Overwhelmed After New Promotion

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
I’ve been with AutoZone for four years, worked my way up from $8 an hour as a part timer to being a store manager. This recent promotion three months ago has made me feel overwhelmed. I’ve been having trouble closing the gap with several shops in the town that have a problem trusting me since I don’t aimlessly mark prices down for parts. It’s a high volume store yet on the commercial side of things are going badly. A lot of pressure has fallen on me and I asked to step down but my boss said to give it time and stop being stressed. I know not to get stressed about certain things but this has been my life for the last several years and there are a lot of things to balance. Don’t know if I can make money this good anywhere else so I’m torn on what to do.

Did they train you for your new role? Is training available? Ask your boss to help you plan 3, 6, 12 month goals so you clearly know whether you're on the way to success. He shouldn't just throw you in the deep end....

Anxiety. Don’t know if any words I have to say can lessen the effect. Listen to your boss it sounds like you have his support. Your store probably has parts other stores don’t have or cannot deliver in a timely manner. Your services will always be needed as long as you stock the product that customers need.

Touch them with the jab? I got nothing else

Don't ever quit for the first 6 months. Every job is difficult in the beginning. You'll start to learn the ropes eventually and get used to it.

Don't quit. If they think you suck then make them fire you.

Then you can always get a job at another auto Part store and haven't lost much.

Helax my dude, just helax. Your boss has your back

What do you mean by closing the gap and trusting you?

The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence": an employee is promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.

I’ve been with AutoZone for four years, worked my way up from $8 an hour as a part timer to being a store manager. This recent promotion three months ago has made me feel overwhelmed. I’ve been having trouble closing the gap with several shops in the town that have a problem trusting me since I don’t aimlessly mark prices down for parts. It’s a high volume store yet on the commercial side of things are going badly. A lot of pressure has fallen on me and I asked to step down but my boss said to give it time and stop being stressed. I know not to get stressed about certain things but this has been my life for the last several years and there are a lot of things to balance. Don’t know if I can make money this good anywhere else so I’m torn on what to do.

With great power comes great responsibility AND anxiety.

It's a perfectly natural feeling that the majority of people go through. Your boss saw something in you, or you wouldn't have been promoted.

There are several reasons for why the commercial side is not doing that well. You can't fix it one day. Use the same work ethic and problem solving that got you here to get through this.

sorry, according to 'Gabe' tradition you have to change your name to:

AutoZone Gabe

(RE: @Zookeeper Gabe )

Don't ever quit for the first 6 months. Every job is difficult in the beginning. You'll start to learn the ropes eventually and get used to it.

Don't quit. If they think you suck then make them fire you.

Then you can always get a job at another auto Part store and haven't lost much.
Agree. Three months is a short time. You're still rising on the learning curve. Give it three more months at least. If things are no better after 3-4 more months, that's much more of sign that it's not meant to be.

Last edited:
Hang in there bro, give time to time, nobody is born wise.
Consult other colleagues who do the same work as you do, there´s allways a method to doing things, understand their method and then incorporate it on your own method of work.

Sounds like you're rising fast. You must be doing something right. Keep at it and dont take no shit from no one under you.

Feeling overwhelmed after new promotion.
Welcome to the world of management. Now you know why they make more money...
Try delegating some of that responsibility to someone you trust. Don't micromanage.

* (...20 years in the U.S. military)

Back