Feel like im getting worse as i progress

B

Big-T

So ive been boxing around 2 months now, maybe 3. After id been going for about 1 and a half month, the trainers really started taking interest in me, keeping me behind for padwork, complementing my punching power etc. I was on a real high and abosolutely loved training. Now i feel im getting more criticism over my technique, and my power isnt as strong. I feel like im getting worse as i train more! Does anyone else know how i feel? Any tips what to do? Getting really annoyed with myself.

My guess, your getting better and beginning to recognize how far you still have to come. When I first started I felt like I was making great progress, then I began to realize after working with more experienced fighters how far I really was from their level. Then I began to compare myself to them and felt like I was making no progress, when in truth i was making alot of progress and beginning to realize how much more i needed to learn. Criticism can only make you better if you listen and try not to make it too personal.

Prepare to feel this forever.

I dont mean that in a negative way. But i realized myself, you keep fighting and this is one feeling you'll have to deal with throughout your time doin it.

Now you know what a real boxer looks like and you realize how far you have to go. Where as you use to know what a street guy looks like and how far you've come.

My guess, your getting better and beginning to recognize how far you still have to come. When I first started I felt like I was making great progress, then I began to realize after working with more experienced fighters how far I really was from their level. Then I began to compare myself to them and felt like I was making no progress, when in truth i was making alot of progress and beginning to realize how much more i needed to learn. Criticism can only make you better if you listen and try not to make it too personal.

Ditto.

QFT. My words...

You've just reached the line in the sand. This is when most people quit. It seperates the "on a whim" from the dedicated. Not just boxing, but everything in life, from education to relationships to whatever.

The point at which you realize the enormity of the task at hand, and either step into the fray or step out.

You were probably very good for a beginner and now your instructors expect more from you..This is the point where you start using your brain and your focus more than any other point...Main thing i would say is relax

You've just reached the line in the sand. This is when most people quit. It seperates the "on a whim" from the dedicated. Not just boxing, but everything in life, from education to relationships to whatever.

The point at which you realize the enormity of the task at hand, and either step into the fray or step out.

Awesome post. Balances between the edges of cheezy and major awesomeness :D

Anyhow, as a kickboxer myself i remember quite good how it was when we started and how the trainer(s) treated different individuals. The two best in the newbiegroup were loved by the trainer, and given a lot of attention and praise at first. Then the trainer (still praising them though) started demanding more of them, more focus, high rate of attendance at trainings, etc.
Eventually they both quit.
Don't let it get to you if you enjoy boxing. What my previous training partners might have forgotten when all the praise got to their heads is that they were only good compared to other beginners, and still had a long way to go.

I'm one of the few from the newbiegroup that's left, and I was possibly the worst in the entire group. Now I'm quite good, and has surpassed many others who seemed to be naturally talented.
Don't rest on your talent at least, keep training hard. Your trainers are possibly pushing you too hard because they see your potential.

Everybodys right... It's just a line to cross. Do you spar? Alot of us were talkin after our sparring session about how we feel we're getting worse, when really we're all getting better so its harder for the "top guy" to stand out as much as he once did.

you're on the right path. keep going, you're improving if you continue to train and are looking to improve

Prepare to feel this forever.

I dont mean that in a negative way. But i realized myself, you keep fighting and this is one feeling you'll have to deal with throughout your time doin it.

Absolutely... even preparing for a fight... You are NEVER going to have it all down. NEVER. There's just too much too it. There is NO perfect fighter, you will never be perfect, but you will always try to get there. That's why it's so important to enjoy it. It's not for everyone.. it's for those who LOVE to train.

The work load will never ever end. If you truly love the sport, that should make you happy. :icon_chee That's why people like me spend stupid amounts of time and money looking for gyms and trainers who will challenge me in ways I've never been before.

Maybe your issue is that you aren't getting enough praise like you were before. Don't worry... it will come. Hard work in the gym always gets recognition one way or another... 3 months is usually the point where you expect the person to leave the gym and never come back... if they're still around after 3 months... they might actually get somewhere.

Thanks for the replys guys, i have abosolutely no intention of giving it up as i enjoy everything about it, i was just a little worried about getting worse! I do give every training session my all, as if somethings worth doing its worth doing properly. I sparred for the first time last monday, only leading hand though with jabs, hooks uppercuts etc, no power hand shots. First thing i found out was its a completely different kettle of fish being good on the bags, to being good in the ring! And i also found out my nose doesnt like being punched very much, thats one t shirt i wont be getting the bloodstains out of! Thanks for the support, and dont worry, there isnt a single part of me wanting to quit!

I was about to make a thread like this but then I took a week off and went to the gym to lift weights. A lot of people told me that maybe the trainers are amazed by my skill and power that they expected too much.

I have no intention to quit, just let my foot heal and make sure I'm still focused on my goal.

It's good to hear that you already sparred for the first time. Good Luck dude!

When you're learning new technique you may lose some power, speed, etc. for a while but once you master the new technique, you should be able to exceed the limits you had before.

Back