feel like i get dominated to much

tapouttazz9

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of trouble during bjj. I feel as if I'm just getting dominated all class every class. I already no that the first thing every one will say is that its all a part of it and every one gets taped but I'm a big guy I weight 235 to 240 and i am always getting pushed around by guys at 160s and 170s. It's every class and I don't have a choice to roll and train with any lesser skilled people at my gym. I'm always going up with a guy that has better technique and faster than me. I never get a night that I can work on my offense game being the top game because I'm a bigger guy. I get pushed around from the start weather its standing or on the knees. I don't know what I should train and do to get better. Weather its Mabey adding judo or adding wrestling or Mabey Bjj specific strength training. I'm at a loss here I.don't have any ideas and I'm trying to pick my head up and go to all the classes but its hard getting dominated night in and night out then going in to a compition feeling as if you have gotten beter and your ready.

technique man...
learn more techniques
learn more counters to techniques
apply them when you can
it's okay to be purely defensive at this point

Just keep training. It happens to everyone. One thing that might do well to you is trying to focus on your weak spots. How is your sweeping? One thing that always kept me going through terrible days was trying to get the sweep, and escape from being under bad positions.

In all that word vomit i may have missed the answer to this question but how long have you been training for again?

My sweeping is sub par I'm a top game guy but Evan the very rare chance I get the top poison weather it be side control or mount I can't pull anything off because i almost never get into those potions rolling. I'm lucky if I get side control 1 time out of a night of 3 to 4 rolls. Bottom line is I'm tiers of getting put into mount and I'm tierd of getting put into side control you can't win there and I feel as if my defense is getting better there but not enuff to wear I'm going to be abl to make any of it turn into offense for me. From the start the other guys I roll with beat me and get me to my back and dominate me

“If There Is No Struggle, There Is No Progress” - Frederick Douglass

You will progress so fast in a class like that, but you won't feel it. My brother trains with nothing but heavier purples, browns and blacks at his school and gets crushed. He was always saying he felt he sucked, but every time I'd come back to town and roll with him I'd be like "damn man, you're getting better fast."

In short, everyone gets dominated at first. It will take a few years before you're dominating people probably (especially if your training partners are high level). But, the important thing is improvement and you will surely be doing that in an environment such as that you describe.

I have been training for a year forgive my grammar I'm typing on my phone

id recommend specific training. Just my 2 cents.

Barring that, id say just ask if you can work passing the guard and see if some of your training partners will let you. I do this plenty and it really helps.

A lot of the time coaches match the bigger guys with more experienced grapplers so the big guys wont hurt the lesser experienced little guys. This has been my experience, but it doesnt mean its the case with your situation.

I have been training for a year forgive my grammar I'm typing on my phone

As a big guy, you are a challenge. Not only that, but for the little guys having you on top sucks. What that means is they are likely fighting a bit to stay on top and not let you use that weight from the top.

Don't worry, eventually things will just start to click and you'll find yourself on top more and more.

Also keep in mind you are getting something a lot of big guys miss out on, a chance to get a really good defence going. A lot of bigger guys find themselves working with other beginners and being on top pretty much from day one, rarely getting a chance to have someone put them on their back and dominate them.

With the way things are going, by the time you start getting to work your top game you'll have a decent bottom game already there.

Yikes... if your technique is anything like your spelling, I think we have an answer! :wink:

Just pick ONE aspect of your game, technique-wise and focus on it. Be it regaining guard, sweeps, defending, wrestling, etc. Ask the better guys in the class for tips after rolls, ask your instructor.. even search it on youtube or google.

One thing I'm going to take a guess on is that your gas-tank runs low quickly. That you're letting fatigue coax you out of winning a scramble or driving thru a sweep or powering back into guard. You're a big guy... big guys don't like to get tired. So my number one point of advice that I can give is push, push, push. Don't ever quit on something due to fatigue and you'll start to really see results. Technique is nothing in sport jiu-jitsu if you don't have the strength and the gas to pull it off on someone who knows how to defend it.

patience.

leave pride at the door and you wont get frustrated.

it all starts with one move. focus on it, if you get tapped 100 times in one night but if you are able to do that move even just once in rolling with good technique, then it was a worthwhile night for you. even if you just put in the proper effort with the right attitude, still worthwhile...

When you say you're getting dominated does that mean you are taping??? or are you just getting stuck in positions from which you can't escape??? I ask because I think about BJJ in a few different ways. For instance current competitive design has time limits and for me that makes a difference in my approach to rolling. In the past BJJ did not have time limits (the Gracie Challenge is an example) and a differnet strategy could be employed. So sometimes my approach is to survive, to not get caught, to conitnue moving, and patiently wait for my opponent to make a mistake that I can capitalize on.

The other thing... I regularly do what trumpetDan suggested. Tell them you want to work on something specific... I train with guys that I can't mount no matter how hard I try... their jiu jitsu is better than mine, I know it and they know it... and unless their self-esteem is fragil or thier ego is in need of boosting they will let me start in whatever position I'd like... I'll start in mount, eventually they'll escape, and eventually I'll tap and we'll start again. I offer the same thing to newer students, they can start wheverver they'd like and we'll go from there. On some level I truely believe in the team approach: my goal in training is twofold 1) to improve my bjj and 2) to help you improve your bjj.

Also if people do give you dominant positions, remember that you're a big guy and these are your teammates, don't smash them or it's unlikely they'll be accepting the bottom for long.

I hope that helps... It's just my approach to training...

It's good that you're training with guys that are better than you that will only make you better in the long run. Sometimes the browns at my school will "feed" me submissions when we roll so I can work on my submission transitions. Maybe this will work for you. When I'm rolling with the other blues and the purples we push each other, but when we roll with the higher belts they are usually trying to help us out with our game. Maybe ask your instructor and the higher belts to help you. Good luck, don't get discouraged you will do better than you think when you start rolling with guys your own skill level.:D

I'm a a big guy myself and i went through the same thing (and still do sometimes). You just need to keep going to class and eventually you'll get better. You're also probably getting better all the time and just not realizing it. You have to remember all your training partners are progressing along with you. It may feel like your standing still, but your actually moving with the crowd.

Dude just put in the time. There are some days you will feel like you are getting better and other days where it feels like you have learned nothing. Just have fun, and go to class. Before you know it you will improve.

where are you located tapouttazz? If you are anywhere near so cali id be more than willing to help in anyway I can.

I'm having a lot of trouble during bjj. I feel as if I'm just getting dominated all class every class. I already no that the first thing every one will say is that its all a part of it and every one gets taped but I'm a big guy I weight 235 to 240 and i am always getting pushed around by guys at 160s and 170s. It's every class and I don't have a choice to roll and train with any lesser skilled people at my gym. I'm always going up with a guy that has better technique and faster than me. I never get a night that I can work on my offense game being the top game because I'm a bigger guy. I get pushed around from the start weather its standing or on the knees. I don't know what I should train and do to get better. Weather its Mabey adding judo or adding wrestling or Mabey Bjj specific strength training. I'm at a loss here I.don't have any ideas and I'm trying to pick my head up and go to all the classes but its hard getting dominated night in and night out then going in to a compition feeling as if you have gotten beter and your ready.

Zonoez, you are getting beat by people better than you? Shocking.

Losing happens to everyone. If anything, it's just proving the hallmark of BJJ - the small beating the big, the weak beating the strong.

What it sounds like is that you need to A) train more. Just go train. And then go back for more; and B) Suck it up. Sometimes people are just better. Same thing with me; I hate getting matched up with the small guys because they are so much faster than me. Add onto that one of the better guys at the school is a purple belt and I dread rolling with him, but I do it anyway. If you're not losing, you're not learning.

You say you've been training for a year. While you may not be a BJJ infant anymore, you are still a toddler. You're only now learning how to actually put a game together as opposed to just knowing some moves. It'll take more and more mat time to evolve your gaem to where you can not only match up with guys your own size, but also against guys smaller and quicker.

Damm bro your in Jersy... I wasn't thinking East Coast when I made my suggestions... Maybe you're just gonna have to get beat for a while...

On a more serious note: give a go with what trumpetDan and me have suggested... comminucate with your partners. Sometimes people loose perspective: For instance I tell my partner that I want to work from the open guard and my plan is essentially to setup and complete a simple sweep or to work a sweep/submission combo... sometime I tell them nothing beyound the starting position.. it all depends.

I'm gonna follow on this I'd like to see how this plays out.

DW

Back