Feel like I can't Rehydrate

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm on my feet talking a lot at my job and have been working out about 5 days a week.

I'm on a diet right now. The only one that works for me is to strictly count calories and keep it around 2000 or less. I know that is a lot more than the 20% cut most people on here advocate, but only the dramatic calorie cut keeps me motivated. I've tried more moderate plans and I can't hack them.

My weigh in day was Sunday, the day before which I ate cake 3 times and didn't workout - still ending up 2 pounds lighter than the previous week. The last 2 days I'm down another 3-4 pounds in the morning, feel like hammered shit, and I feel like re-hydrating is a problem. I've been pounding water and tea. No alcohol. Very little coffee. No other drinks of any kind. Moderate sodium.

Any advice?

I know the obvious advice is to moderate my diet more, but I can't do that, so any advice on helping me hack this one?

For rehydration you need water, potassium, sodium, maybe a bit of magnesium as well. If you feel more awake and alert after eating a sodium rich food or a potassium rich food, well there's your answer.

For rehydration you need water, potassium, sodium, maybe a bit of magnesium as well. If you feel more awake and alert after eating a sodium rich food or a potassium rich food, well there's your answer.

My diet is pretty balanced and I salt my food pretty often. I'd be surprised if I was low on electrolytes - it isn't like I'm running marathons or anything. I use an elliptical for 20-30 minutes most days. It is worth a try though. I guess I'll pick up something at the health food store later.

My diet is pretty balanced and I salt my food pretty often. I'd be surprised if I was low on electrolytes - it isn't like I'm running marathons or anything. I use an elliptical for 20-30 minutes most days. It is worth a try though. I guess I'll pick up something at the health food store later.

Be that as it may, if your assessment that you are otherwise healthy but having difficulty rehydrating is correct it is either lack of fluid lack of electrolytes or both.

Try increasing them.

I don't eat a low salt diet by any means but I've noticed that even a day after a hard workout where I dropped multiple pounds of sweat there are times where salty food literally makes me feel more awake.

Be that as it may, if your assessment that you are otherwise healthy but having difficulty rehydrating is correct it is either lack of fluid lack of electrolytes or both.

Try increasing them.

I don't eat a low salt diet by any means but I've noticed that even a day after a hard workout where I dropped multiple pounds of sweat there are times where salty food literally makes me feel more awake.

Thanks!

Drink a full liter of pedialyte over a period of 2 hours for 3 days straight. If it is a fluid retention problem or electrolyte problem, that will straighten it out.

Oh, and I guess you were probably right about the sodium thing. I chased my water with a bag of potato chips I put a couple of salt packets on and I feel a lot better.

I cook most of my own food / don't eat out or eat processed food much. Maybe I'm not cooking with enough salt.

Wish I had this fuckin problem. I never sweat, which results in me retaining tons of water - very annoying for knowing my true weight and looking good.

Oh, and I guess you were probably right about the sodium thing. I chased my water with a bag of potato chips I put a couple of salt packets on and I feel a lot better.

I cook most of my own food / don't eat out or eat processed food much. Maybe I'm not cooking with enough salt.

Look into soups and broths recipes. I eat a lot of Japanese food. Miso soup in macro's is basically delicious salt water lol.

Look into soups and broths recipes. I eat a lot of Japanese food. Miso soup in macro's is basically delicious salt water lol.

Thanks for the tip. I do love miso. I'll grab some.

Maybe cut out on pounding down tea. Maybe it's diuretic effect may have something to do with it. I don't know.

I can't really see any evidence here that you actually have a problem rehydrating.

I can't really see any evidence here that you actually have a problem rehydrating.

Yeah I was thinking the same. No change in urine color or frequency? Doesn't sound like a rehydration problem.

Yeah I was thinking the same. No change in urine color or frequency? Doesn't sound like a rehydration problem.

If he suddenly felt better when eating salt, it was more likely just mild hyponatremia.

Back