Feel like cookie dough.

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have a street self defense class on Saturdays where we do no-gi grappling and strikes with MMA sparring gloves. I got really sore that day from the strikes and getting position, etc. On Monday we had BJJ and Judo. I was still sore, but went ahead and went anyways. I just started last week and my recovery time sucks. I am covered in bruises(I don't even bruise that easily) and I can barely move in the morning. I am pretty young (22) and just wondering how long it will take to where I can go to a session and not be so sore?

Also, I got leg cramps in my calves a few times. Anything to help this?

You've only just started, so it's probably best to build up over a few weeks, rather than start going to every class straight away.

Hot baths after the training sessions should help stop you being too sore the next morning.

the soreness is just a part of being new. A hot bath mike make it feel better but then again it might be detrimental.. Heat might increase inflamation and in the end cause you more pain in the morning.

For the cramps try stretching before and AFTER practice. Many places dont make their students stretch after practice, including mine. Wich i think is a real bad idea, adds to injury, and cramps.

The way you can avoid most of it is to just keep going.. Your hands are always going to hurt as will your knees, and eventualy your hips... Get used to it, Your fighting. Most every day i come home im hurting in one way or another but i just keep going.. only time i slow down is if a major injury jumps in. THen i quit sparring and go only for technique.

If you are already taking everything there the school has to offer i can tell you your like 90% of the guys who come in our club and do not stay. YOu get all gunho and think your going to be the next MMA giant and train everything every day... next thing you know a month later your burnt out and never even show up again because your "tired" or "dont have the time" Do your self a favor and start out slow, be humble.. have fun.

I am just going Monday, Thursday, and Saturday and can barely make it to the next class.

b0b said:
I am just going Monday, Thursday, and Saturday and can barely make it to the next class.

I was the same way when I first started wrestling. I felt like an old man, and we were only going twice a week, but we would go ALL out. I was bruising real easy and my joints felt real bad, but after about a month, my body seemed to adapt (just like it does to anything, like weightlifting, running, etc.) and I started getting less and less sore and less and less bruised. Just give some time, but seriously, just make sure that you listen to your body and train smart.

Some guys will train real hard regardless of if they have an injury or not, and while you gotta respect their heart, remember to take heed to their stupidity. Don't let your ego get in the way of training, so if you do actually get injured, you won't make it worse by trying to work through it and get over it while training hard...just a reminder that might help.... Also, like Gsoares2 said, remember to stretch before AND after practice. hope this helps some :)

Hey! I am an old man, and I feel your pain. I train six days a week and there are days I move like a really old man, ha ha. As simple as it sounds, it is so often overlooked, especially in young guys, do your self a favor and make sure you take a good multi-vitamin everyday. I know it sounds lame, but just give it a try, you will be suprised by your recover time, less bruising and generally more energy.

Mark Allen said:
Hey! I am an old man, and I feel your pain. I train six days a week and there are days I move like a really old man, ha ha. As simple as it sounds, it is so often overlooked, especially in young guys, do your self a favor and make sure you take a good multi-vitamin everyday. I know it sounds lame, but just give it a try, you will be suprised by your recover time, less bruising and generally more energy.

1951, eh? Wasn't that before we had fire? haha j/k :D

I take fish oil and multivitamin everyday. I have been eating more protein, trying to sleep more, etc... I don't have any plans on quitting and I will definitely start stretching AFTER the session. Thanks guys.

I seem to bruise up too. I do BJJ and my chest and arms are pretty much always bruised. I just don't pay attention to it anymore. I used to get bruised on my triceps all the time but now if a guy is grabbing skin during non-resisting training I get him to stop.

As for soreness, my muscles are never at 100% but I don't really care. About 10 minutes into a session I'm all warmed up and I don't notice it.

Diligent said:
haha, nice.

In all seriousness, much respect to you and anyone else your age training.

Thank you man, that is always appreciated :D

I run my school and it is funny, always some young buck at the door, and some perverted sense that they need to kick the old mans ass. I hate to disappoint them, but i do.

another thought on the bruising. It happens less as you learn more. When you began, someone would pass your guard and no doubt put a knee square on the inside of your arm, and with any luck would grind that knee off the arm and onto the mat, oh yippie! Not long after that you started moving your arm out of the way as they came around without even thinking about it.
A new guy started ac ouple of weeks ago, he was bruising nicely!! His wife came in the second week to watch and see what was going on, as she didn't approve of the bruising. She watched us train and now she is ready to start training!

Mark Allen said:
another thought on the bruising. It happens less as you learn more. When you began, someone would pass your guard and no doubt put a knee square on the inside of your arm, and with any luck would grind that knee off the arm and onto the mat, oh yippie! Not long after that you started moving your arm out of the way as they came around without even thinking about it.
A new guy started ac ouple of weeks ago, he was bruising nicely!! His wife came in the second week to watch and see what was going on, as she didn't approve of the bruising. She watched us train and now she is ready to start training!

There are a few couples that train at my place. My woman is too girly to train.

b0b said:
There are a few couples that train at my place. My woman is too girly to train.
that is too bad, it can be a lot of fun. we have a couple of scrappers, they get so pissed off if one of the guys cuts them a break for them being female. I know I'll get the quote wrong, but..."hell has no furry like a woman scorned"

Mark Allen said:
Thank you man, that is always appreciated :D

I run my school and it is funny, always some young buck at the door, and some perverted sense that they need to kick the old mans ass. I hate to disappoint them, but i do.

Man, that's funny. I see that a lot in wrestling. Actually, this last week, some young buck high school football player came to practice and spent most of the time just watching. He was pretty buff, ripped, the usual (he even brought some of his 'girlfriends' with him to watch). Anyways, come near the end of practice, he basically expressed that he thought it didn't look too hard and that he could take any of us on, including my 44yr old coach, who is 5'2", and barely 130lbs. Needless to say, my coach humbled that guy real quick in front of his little girlfriends. It's always nice to see the older guys humbling young hotheads. :D

yeah there is something to that adage.."old age and treachery will always prevail against youth and strength" It trully is a blast to do too. Get one of em all tied up in a knot and ask them in front of the class if they ever thought a 53 year old man could do that to them, i love it!

b0b said:
We have a street self defense class on Saturdays where we do no-gi grappling and strikes with MMA sparring gloves. I got really sore that day from the strikes and getting position, etc. On Monday we had BJJ and Judo. I was still sore, but went ahead and went anyways. I just started last week and my recovery time sucks. I am covered in bruises(I don't even bruise that easily) and I can barely move in the morning. I am pretty young (22) and just wondering how long it will take to where I can go to a session and not be so sore?

Also, I got leg cramps in my calves a few times. Anything to help this?

It's all a part of mma training. As long as you do more than just sport bjj, I guarentee you you will never be 100% healthy. Everyone is always fighting through some sort of injury.

Yea..Im constantly sore somewhere on my body..never fully get over it..Just keep at it and work through the pain.

LOL@the thought that sport BJJ will guarantee you being 100% healthy.

Back