Feedback on Routine Schedule Change

as you mentioned, you are a beginner. and as a beginner, you shouldn't be worried about spreadsheets, planning monthly training cycles, what program you are using next etc. your main concern should be linear progression every workout and your own form, not watching other people lift when you go to the gym so you can go home and post shit in the "favorite idiots moment's thread"

I love it! So, you realized you were a moron with your first attempt at an insult and therefore you better try again? I like how this time you made sure not to sound like Arnold in your response.

First of all, I am concerned about my linear progression every workout. Secondly, I take video of my form every workout. Lastly, I'm pretty confident I can do both of those things and be shocked and amazed at the asshole doing BOSU ball squats in the Smith Machine. I'm more than OCD enough to accomplish all those things at once.

So, are you done with the, "You're stupid because you don't ONLY focus on one thing" insult?

Halical's right here. Just shut the fuck up and lift. It's not complicated. Do compound lifts, do more weight or more reps than you did last week. Once you hit Intermediate numbers, go back and examine all the science and other crap.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e_eEtGvf6-E&border=1&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e_eEtGvf6-E&border=1&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

So, are you trying to make a point that, "it doesn't matter" with this video? Or are you trying to say that at least I, "have a plan and try to reach your goal?"

I'm a little confused with that video. It was a good video though.

So, are you trying to make a point that, "it doesn't matter" with this video? Or are you trying to say that at least I, "have a plan and try to reach your goal?"

I'm a little confused with that video. It was a good video though.

ChaseT confuses his prey before the attack.

You obviously didn't watch the whole thing since you posted three minutes after I did and the video is 6:30 long.

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Read the articles and FAQ on EliteFTS. If something doesn't make sense to you, read it again. If it still doesn't make sense, wash your hands and read it again.

Halical's right here. Just shut the fuck up and lift. It's not complicated. Do compound lifts, do more weight or more reps than you did last week. Once you hit Intermediate numbers, go back and examine all the science and other crap.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

I really don't think that's the message I got when I first started reading this forum. The FAQ is littered with information that isn't in the "Keep it Simple Stupid" nature.

I guess it is simple for the noobs like me who start. I only have to do these umpteen things:

- Lift Heavy
- Do Compound Lifts (I suppose I need to define "Compound" but we can do that later...)
- Rest (How long does depend on the lifts you do but we can answer that later...)
- Lift for Volume and Intensity
- Squat, Deadlift, and Bench Press (Should I do these ALL on the same day, maybe not...)

I'm being a sarcastic ass because for you guys who've been lifting for awhile it's simple. For someone like me it's not and I don't even know that it's simple. I'm finding that out now but I didn't know before I started a thread about my schedule change.

*goes off to wash his hands*

I really don't think that's the message I got when I first started reading this forum. The FAQ is littered with information that isn't in the "Keep it Simple Stupid" nature.

I guess it is simple for the noobs like me who start. I only have to do these umpteen things:

- Lift Heavy
- Do Compound Lifts (I suppose I need to define "Compound" but we can do that later...)
- Rest (How long does depend on the lifts you do but we can answer that later...)
- Lift for Volume and Intensity
- Squat, Deadlift, and Bench Press (Should I do these ALL on the same day, maybe not...)

I'm being a sarcastic ass because for you guys who've been lifting for awhile it's simple. For someone like me it's not and I don't even know that it's simple. I'm finding that out now but I didn't know before I started a thread about my schedule change.

*goes off to wash his hands*

I explained these concepts to my 15 year old cousin and he understood it fine. It's not fucking rocket science. We're not trying to figure out mu or theta or some other Greek letter that represents an esoteric math variable.

You let yourself get obsessed with details that don't fucking matter. "Oh shit, I did 4x5 squats instead of 5x5, maybe I should make up for it next session, or should I do it on a "rest" day? Wait, a "rest" day should be dedicated to "rest." I don't know, I'll ask in my log, then make a thread dedicated to it on sherdog."

You don't need to worry about conjugated or undulating periodization. You don't need to fuss about deload weeks or how long you should do a program. It's fucking simple. Get a program. Do it until you stop getting gains. Get a new program. If you absolutely have to skip a day, big deal, skip a day. It's one day out of 150+ a year that you'll be lifting.

I love it! So, you realized you were a moron with your first attempt at an insult and therefore you better try again? I like how this time you made sure not to sound like Arnold in your response.

First of all, I am concerned about my linear progression every workout. Secondly, I take video of my form every workout. Lastly, I'm pretty confident I can do both of those things and be shocked and amazed at the asshole doing BOSU ball squats in the Smith Machine. I'm more than OCD enough to accomplish all those things at once.

So, are you done with the, "You're stupid because you don't ONLY focus on one thing" insult?

nah, the first response was me telling you to just lift, simple as that. the second response was my explanation of "just lift", which is basically "just fucking lift!". how you choose to interpret it is your own business. if you see that as being "arnold", i don't know what to say, you're just very very weird. like so weird i'm a bit creeped out now.

like chase t said, but SS, then buy practical programming. then read that book like it's the bible and then you'll realize why i said "just lift".

and i'm sorry for hurting your feelings, forgive me mm'k?

Next thing after worrying about a missed day: imperfect gear! That's the real obsession!

Change shoes, try them all, Chucks, Oly-shoes, Adidas Samba. Whenever one of them does not feel perfectly right, you have a great reason for justifying a shitty performance - and getting a new pair of shoes. Or even better, just skip the lifting session since your material sucks.

Came to the gym in your running kicks and forgot any of the three pairs mentioned above?? Drop that session, no way you can do a deadlift in these soft Nike's.

Bought Woody bands and realized that they come in slightly different length? Spent hours to adjust them when setting up your box squats.

Adjust your belt several times before a lift. Too loose, to tight? Better reduce the weight on the bar. Furthermore, get a new belt. Lever belts will allow you to re-adjust numerous times prior to the lift.

Chalk is gone? No way you touch the bar without it. Perfectly chalked up hands or NOTHING!

I guess you get the picture. Just lift. I know it sucks to "miss" workouts, but it does not matter as long as you come back on a regular basis. Don't be too anal about your training.

I can't lift today. These shorts make me look fat.

I guess you get the picture. Just lift. I know it sucks to "miss" workouts, but it does not matter as long as you come back on a regular basis. Don't be too anal about your training.

He's right. I have a friend that just started lifting in college and 4 years later he is one of the strongest people I know. The only thing he knows about training is that squats, deads, and bench are the basis for any good routine and that he needs to get enough rest and food to train. He even said he doesn't really go into the gym with a plan, he just looks at what he did last time and tries to do more.

I think a program is very helpful at first because it helps give you an idea of where to go and when to advance. When you begin training, you likely won't know your body well enough to determine these things too well (I didn't).

But, you need to understand that your training will not be perfect and you need to just lift. You really are over complicating it.

Next thing after worrying about a missed day: imperfect gear! That's the real obsession!

Change shoes, try them all, Chucks, Oly-shoes, Adidas Samba. Whenever one of them does not feel perfectly right, you have a great reason for justifying a shitty performance - and getting a new pair of shoes. Or even better, just skip the lifting session since your material sucks.

Came to the gym in your running kicks and forgot any of the three pairs mentioned above?? Drop that session, no way you can do a deadlift in these soft Nike's.

Bought Woody bands and realized that they come in slightly different length? Spent hours to adjust them when setting up your box squats.

Adjust your belt several times before a lift. Too loose, to tight? Better reduce the weight on the bar. Furthermore, get a new belt. Lever belts will allow you to re-adjust numerous times prior to the lift.

Chalk is gone? No way you touch the bar without it. Perfectly chalked up hands or NOTHING!

talk about beating a dead horse...

I appreciate all the feedback.

Here's another question: why is so bad to be a little OCD when it comes to this? I ask because I'm feeling... *sniff*... a little picked on.

*goes off to take a shower*

Here's another question: why is so bad to be a little OCD when it comes to this? I ask because I'm feeling... *sniff*... a little picked on.

Some people are very necrotic about their lifting progression. I think Chase's point and others is that you don't have enough lifting experience for your OCD to matter in the grand scheme of things. You are a NOOB - pretty much whatever you do at the gym will give you gains as long as you lift consistently and squat, DL and press. You will put weight on the bar each week whether you use Rips 3x5, Starr 5x5, WSfSB, GVT or the push/pull/squat.

Although it may not matter in the grand scheme of things right now, I don't think it is a bad thing to be OCD about your progression if that is what you need to do. You just need to understand that what is important is staying consistent and working hard on the main lifts.

I think that Rip's Practical Programming would be of great use to you. Pick it up with Starting Strength (2nd Edition)

Because it is really simple stuff that you would know if you did your homework and actually read the literature we've mentioned and spent some time trying to understand it. The OCD stuff also makes you an easy target for ridicule.

My senior history teacher in high school had to have everything in his room *just* right. Any time we came in before class and he wasn't there, we would move something on his desk by a few inches or make something that was hanging on the wall slightly crooked. No matter what, he would notice it during class and fix it. It was great entertainment.

Nuge, I think the real danger is that if you overanalyze your lifting it can become more work than it ought to be, and you can lose enthusiasm.

I am OCD as hell about a lot of things -- too many things -- but lifting ain't one of 'em. I have long-term goals and usually walk into the gym with lifts and poundages in mind, but I always leave myself room to do whatever I feel like at the moment. Sometimes the day's workout gets changed on a whim, or due to the availability of equipment, or whatever.

My progress might have been faster if I'd done it some other way, but I don't care. I've stayed interested.

I'm not saying "you must adopt my outlook," I'm saying "keep it fun," whatever your definition of "fun" is.

My senior history teacher in high school had to have everything in his room *just* right. Any time we came in before class and he wasn't there, we would move something on his desk by a few inches or make something that was hanging on the wall slightly crooked. No matter what, he would notice it during class and fix it. It was great entertainment.

Haha. We did the same thing to our physics teacher. IN the middle of telling him he was OCD students were messing up papers and he would straighten them every couple of minutes. The we actually pointed it out and he literally had no clue he was straightening them every few minutes. Good times.

I think you are being a little too strict. You are talking about one day right? Just blow off that day and start right back up where you were.

Back