Feds Want a "Black Box" in Every Car by 2014

But to answer your OP, ha. This would never happen where I'm at. Too expensive and it just seems like a waste of time tbh

Driving laws are already enforced. The hell would this accomplish?

Sheeeit the black box is where I keep my weed at muh fugga.

But to answer your OP, ha. This would never happen where I'm at. Too expensive and it just seems like a waste of time tbh

lol, did you read the article or the blur he posted?

if the feds say your car has to have this black box then you have to have it. it is not some luxury that you get with the Super Package

do they sell new cars without seatbelts where you live?

(I am assuming you live in the US or this article is irrelevant to you)

lol, did you read the article or the blur he posted?

if the feds say your car has to have this black box then you have to have it. it is not some luxury that you get with the Super Package

do they sell new cars without seatbelts where you live?

(I am assuming you live in the US or this article is irrelevant to you)

I live in Australia, and I was commenting on the futility and expense of putting a black box into every car in the United States. So basically you assumed wrong, and the article doesn't have to be relevant to me for me to have an opinion on it.

they already have that, its called your cell phone. it has cameras on both sides, microphone, and gps

Just another thing to hack. Hopefully it's just a ROM that you can flash over. However they implement it, there will always be a way around it.

Manifacturers are going to fight this hard IMO. Just like they did when airbags became an obligation. Just like they are doing now with rear cams.

Driving laws are already enforced. The hell would this accomplish?

There was a an entire section in the article talking about what it would do. Another section talking about possible negatives. Come on.

they already have that, its called your cell phone. it has cameras on both sides, microphone, and gps

And don't forget a list of everyone you know, your interactions with them, and passwords to everything you log into - bank accounts, email, social networks, etc.

There was a an entire section in the article talking about what it would do. Another section talking about possible negatives. Come on.

I was thinking more on the lines of what benefit to public safety would such a device serve. Since that is likely the purpose our government would say its for.

So it's just new cars?

I see 2014 being a low year for new car sales and high for used if this happens.

i wonder if they'll be installing them when you get an inspection.

It would be impossible for them to do that. All new cars will be required to have them. Most new cars already have them, Mercedes and another high end car company I can't remember off the top of my head don't have them. They'res not 1 universal standard for the black boxes, I'm guessing soon they'll all use a box with a universal plug like a ODB2 port.
All states don't have inspections.

I was thinking more on the lines of what benefit to public safety would such a device serve. Since that is likely the purpose our government would say its for.

It's obviously not gonna help during an accident and it's primary use is gonna be sorting things out afterwards when there are lawsuits and shit going on but the article says it could possibly " aid emergency response teams in assessing the severity of a crash and estimating the probability of serious injury before they reach the site of the crash." That and the supposed better understanding of crashes which would lead to safety improvements etc. etc.

I don't see it as a big deal. Think about it in relative terms (I know that's beyond most SD'ers).

Does anyone have a problem with black boxes in airplanes? I didn't think so. Everyone understands their importance in accident investigation and prevention, even in instances where the accident is the fault of pilot error.

Are airplanes safer than cars? Yes, yes they are.

I'm not going to draw you a map, you can see where I'm going with this.

Another point. As a professional driver with 17 years of accident free driving, I would love to see my insurance rates go down at the expense of the terrible drivers I see on the road every day. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

They also proposed the Clipper chip 20 yrs ago.

Back