Fedor's Strengths and Weaknesses

I don't think Fedor really struggled against Brett Rogers though it's been a while since I've seen it. He beat him rather convincingly and I don't recall him being in trouble.

I do disagree with this notion that Fedor would dominate everyone who never fought in Pride. It sounds really ignorant (I know no one said that, but it feels like it is being inferred). Citing that Stipe had problems with all time great HWs when he was younger isn't a great rebuttal, especially since Fedor never fought most of them except Werdum.

Stipe would be a hard fight for Fedor, as would Cormier, JDS, Cain. They're all time great heavy weights for a reason. Fedor would not have a perfect record if he fought all 4 of them, that doesn't have to be taken as a slight.

I don't think Fedor really struggled against Brett Rogers though it's been a while since I've seen it. He beat him rather convincingly and I don't recall him being in trouble.

I do disagree with this notion that Fedor would dominate everyone who never fought in Pride. It sounds really ignorant (I know no one said that, but it feels like it is being inferred). Citing that Stipe had problems with all time great HWs when he was younger isn't a great rebuttal, especially since Fedor never fought most of them except Werdum.

Stipe would be a hard fight for Fedor, as would Cormier, JDS, Cain. They're all time great heavy weights for a reason. Fedor would not have a perfect record if he fought all 4 of them, that doesn't have to be taken as a slight.

He never had a perfect record. Lost 3 in a row at age 33 / 34. People are too impressed by his 30 streak. Many of those wouldn't make it to the UFC today. It's a numbers game. I guess he got lucky he didn't lose earlier. And so the unbeaten myth came rolling around. He did look apsolutely phenomenal. But for the most part you gotta ask against who.

He did beat prime CC and Nog. No question. But so many all time greats or great fighters he never fought. The list is long.

You gotta realize I will always be biased against Fedor cause he was the best at Pride and I was a hardcore Mirko fan. I always try to discredit Fedor. I'm being honest.

And Fedor would have beaten Francis Nganou ?

Ecoreem was on a streak. Post Cain JDS was still strong at that point, finished Tai and Lewis after.

Fedor struggled mightily vs Rogers. Man had a problem vs big strong guys.

Prime Fedor would have beaten the brakes off the Ngannou that Stipe beat the first time. I'd bet everything I have on that. That version of Ngannou had no patience, no jab, no wrestling, no ground game, no composure and was so mentally weak that he lost to Derrick Lewis in his very next fight who's mids at best. Fedor would have TKOd him.

The current version of Ngannou has patience, a jab and shown wrestling skills so of course he could beat anyone. Would likely beat Strikeforce Fedor but I'm not sure who would win if he fought peak 2005 Fedor. Would be a very tough fight for both guys.

Post Cain JDS was decent but that version of him couldn't make prime Fedor a sandwich. Fedor was faster than him with better grappling and more well rounded skillset IMO. Peak Fedor would have mopped this version of JDS and this version of JDS beat Stipe and knocked him down multiple times.

Econonoreem was decent but he had already been knocked out in the UFC 3 times by the time he fought Stipe and still knocked Stipe down pretty easily.

There isn't a logical fan who has watched this sport for long enough who would tell you that post Cain JDS and Econoreem were better than 2005 Fedor.

Fedor was clearly slowing down by the time he fought Rogers. That version of him could have lost to the best version of Stipe because he was old and so riddled with neck and back injuries that he had to resort to being a head hunter. With that said he knocked Rogers head into the 18th row even in that state of his career. That punch would have sent someone like Econoreem to the hospital.

Obviously when you fight the way Fedor fought by that point of his career you can definitely lose to the prime Stipes and prime Ngannous of the world but that wasn't Fedor at his best so who cares? You think it's coincidence that Fedor went 0-3 in his next 3 after Rogers? He was clearly on the decline.

Last edited:
Prime Fedor would have beaten the brakes off the Ngannou that Stipe beat the first time. I'd bet everything I have on that. That version of Ngannou has no patience, no jab, no wrestling, no ground game, no composure and was so mentally weak that he lost to Derrick Lewis in his very next fight who's mids at best. Fedor would have TKOd him.

This current version of Ngannou has patience, a jab and shown wrestling skills so of course he could beat anyone. Would likely beat Strikeforce Fedor but I'm not sure who would if he fought peak 2005 Fedor. Would he a very tough fight for both guys.

Post Cain JDS was decent but that version of him couldn't make prime Fedor a sandwich. Fedor was faster than him with better grappling and more well rounded skillset IMO. Peak Fedor would have mopped that version of JDS and version of JDS beat Stipe and knocked him down multiple times.

Econonoreem was decent but he already been knocked out in the UFC 3 times by the time he fought Stipe and still knocked him down pretty easily.

There isn't a logical fan who has watched the sport who would tell you that post Cain JDS and Econoreem were better than 2005 Fedor.

Fedor was clearly slowing down by the time he fought Rogers. That version of him could have lost to the best version of Stipe because he was old and so riddled with neck and back injuries that he had to resort to being a head hunter.

Obviously when you fight like that you can lose to the prime Stipes and prime Ngannous of the world but that wasn't Fedor at his best so who cares. You think it's coincidence that Fedor went 0-3 in his next 3 after Rogers? He was clearly on the decline.

OK all I hear is would. Now tell me about what he did do. And against who.

OK all I hear is would. Now tell me about what he did do. And against who.

Fedor beat peak AA, peak Cro Cop and peak Nog 2x. That's more impressive than beating the green ass mentally weak Ngannou who lost to Derrick Lewis and better than beating post Cain JDS and Econoreem imo.

Prime Mirko was better than the version of Ngannou who lost to Stipe the first time in every way. So was Big Nog.

Fedor beat peak AA, peak Cro Cop and peak Nog 2x. That's more impressive than beating the green ass mentally weak Ngannou who lost to Derrick Lewis and better than beating post Cain JDS and Econoreem imo.

Prime Mirko was better than the version of Ngannou who lost to Stipe the first time in every way. So was Big Nog.

Noone won in Nganou vs Lewis. They didn't fight.

AA was never as strong as Nganou. Maybe close during his peak.

Nganou is strong as fuck.

Prime CC deadly but even smaller then Fedor.

Nog got a style to get his face punched in vs Fedor.

Maybe if you're talking about old, Strikeforce Fedor. Yea, I agree peak form Stipe could give that version of Fedor a tough fight and possibly beat him but Fedor was on a clear decline at that point.

Pride Fedor from 2004-2005 during his peak would have knocked the easy to hit Stipe dead in the first few exchanges IMO. Stipe got knocked down multiple times by post Cain JDS and nearly knocked out by Econoreem who had 3 losses by KO in the UFC by the time he fought Stipe. Peak Fedor was faster than both of them and would find Stipes chin just as they did only he was a better grappler than them at that stage of their careers and was more durable. He was too good for Stipe IMO.

As far as DC goes I think he'd beat Strikeforce Fedor but would have had his hands full with peak Fedor and peak Cro Cop. Both of them were better than Gus who gave DC his hardest fight ever. DC would get tired grappling with peak Fedor and would get beaten to the punch IMO. He couldn't even do anything to old ass, post leg break Anderson Silva. What would he do to peak Fedor? If body kicks from Anderson made him wince a kick to the stomach from a peak Cop would have exploded his liver.

Noone won in Nganou vs Lewis. They didn't fight.

AA was never as strong as Nganou. Maybe close during his peak.

Nganou is strong as fuck.

Prime CC deadly but even smaller then Fedor.

Nog got a style to get his face punched in vs Fedor.

The Ngannou who lost to Stipe wasn't better than peak Fedor, peak Cop or peak Nog and not a whole lot better than peak AA if at all imo.

All of them would beat Lewis easily.

So what if he got knocked down vs Reem. That speaks for his toughness, it didn't phase him he started chasing Reem afterwards. Reem is a K1 WGP champ. That knock down doesn't make Stipe look bad.

Also Stipe and DC were Champs at age 39 and 40. You're talking bout Fedor being out of his prime at 33 when he lost to Werdum

So what if he got knocked down vs Reem. That speaks for his toughness, it didn't phase him he started chasing Reem afterwards. Reem is a K1 WGP champ. That knock down doesn't make Stipe look bad.

Also Stipe and DC were Champs at age 39 and 40. You're talking bout Fedor being out of his prime at 33 when he lost to Werdum

Econoreem had 15 KO losses and 3 losses by KO in the UFC by the time he fought Stipe. That version of Reem wasn't half as 2005 Fedor.

If Stipe and DC started fighting at 20 years old like Fedor did they wouldn't have been champions at 40. Age =/= Miles.

Last edited:
Econoreem had 15 KO losses and 3 losses by KO in the UFC by the time he fought Stipe. That version of Reem wasn't half as 2005 Fedor.

If Stipe and DC started fighting at 20 years old like Fedor did they wouldn't have been champions at 40. Age =/= Miles.

Do basically we're all just speculating who would have won. They're all good.

Do basically we're all just speculating who would have won. They're all good.

I'm not speculating I'm saying I think peak Fedor was better than Econoreem and post Cain JDS. That's just my opinion.

Firstly Fedor was the fastest HW that theres ever been. Big Nog said he was the fastest fighter hes ever fought. Chael Sonnen said he was blown away by how fast, old, Bellator Fedor still was. Yuji Shimada the legendary Pride FC ref whos refereed hundreds of fights said Fedor was not only the fastest HW hes ever seen but the fastest fighter hes ever seen. He said he noticed Fedor's speed the most during moments of transitions from striking to grappling. He said watching Fedor go from throwing strikes to ragdolling his opponents was like watching an animal.

On top of being the fastest HW ever, Fedor was the most well rounded HW ever and had the most dynamic and comprehensive skillset this sport has ever seen at HW and maybe even across all weight classes, depending on who you ask.

A grappler who could spar with world class, hard hitting pro boxers like Lebedev and land a lightning fast right cross like a pro boxer would. Nobody in the HW division today has a cross this good and this fast and this was old Strikeforce Fedor. Not only was he technical and understood distance and timing but he could also hit the brawl button at any time if he needed to. This is rare because most fighters usually can only do one or the other.

Fedor had world class Sambo and Judo and was on the Russian national Judo team. He had no problem with ragdolling a 250lb man. He took down prime Mirko almost easily with finesse while Olympic level, powerful wrestlers like Coleman and Randleman couldnt. Fedor had a lifetime of knowledge in throws and takedowns and even in his later years was pulling off shit like this:

You won't see any HWs in the UFC today pulling off anything like this. It requires years and years of training, experience and expertise in grappling and again, this was old, Strikeforce Fedor.

Once on the ground Fedor had the best and most fierce ground and pound we have ever seen. I could post gifs of him bouncing prime Nogs head off the mat like a basketball but what he did to Herring is still slept on in terms of speed and ferocity. Just listen to the sound of these GnP shots.

On top of the striking, grappling and brutal GnP, Fedor had slick submissions and could armlock someone from his back with the hip-speed of a break dancer like he did to Coleman. Coleman has spent lots of time on the mat with high level grapplers. Not even Big Nog subbed him with such swiftness. Even a Renzo Gracie black belt in BJJ like Stephan Bonnar never came close to submitting 50 year old Coleman. Even Shogun who is a Cristiano Marcelo black belt in BJJ and who has spent multiple camps training with Demian Maia never came close to submitting old Coleman. It shows how swift Fedors armlocks were and how ahead of his time he was by pulling off such slick subs back in 2004.

Besides the examples of skills listed above Fedor had absurd reflexes. He checked Mirkos fastest and hardest low kick with no feel out process in the opening moments of the fight like it was nothing. You don't see those kind of checking reflexes in MMA, you see it in professional kickboxing and professional Muay Thai.

View attachment 949127

It's wild to think that a grappling based fighter like Fedor had enough skill, ferocity and durability in the stand up department to trade with prime Cop for extended periods of time and even get the better of him and actually walk him down and make him run away. This was truly unprecedented even by today's standards.

View attachment 949129

You can't forget Fedors toughness and durability that came with all that skill and athleticism. He got thrown through the air and slammed on his neck by Randleman and recovered moments later and submitted him. Most people would die if this happened to them. Truly unthinkable toughness and durability.

View attachment 949150

All in all when you combine his skills, his speed, his toughness, his intensity, his durability and his well roundedness there is no doubt that there has never been anyone close to him and there probably never will be. Easily the greatest and most well rounded HW fighter ever and one of the best fighters to ever live. The only one that comes close is maybe DC but I don't think DCs submissions and speed were on Fedors level. I also think Fedors cardio was better than Cormier's.

When it comes to weaknesses, Fedor could be reckless at times which made his fights exciting. He didnt play it safe and rook risks often and this sometimes reckless approach has cost him later in his career. It's also important to point out that his grappling from his back wasn't as good as his other skills. He could still pull off amazing armlocks and explosive sweeps from his back and had some good scrambling ability but his top game was much better than his bottom game. For example against Arona he resorted to holding on to Aronas head to stall while Arona was on top in mount and half guard position. Fedor was strong enough to pull this off and get away with it but generally, this a low skilled technique in terms of grappling from your back.

Another weakness I saw in him was his tendency to get a little bit lazy when it came to giving up underhooks which resulted in him giving up his back and him being put in danger. This was by far his biggest weakness IMO and it resulted in him being KOd by Hendo and him getting slammed on his neck by Randleman. Below is an example of this tendency in a grappling session with Gegard Mousasi.

Giving up underhooks and leaving his hands posted on the mat is something that has cost him. Sometimes he got away with it and other times he didnt. But overall Fedor is still the most skilled, most well rounded and mentally toughest HW fighter I've ever seen. The fact that he had such an advanced and comprehensive skillset 17 years ago speaks volumes of how good he was and how ahead of his time he was. The #1 P4P fighter in the world for 7 consecutive years. Truly a shame that most fans don't grasp how good he was because Dana White said so.

@krelianx for you brather

Back