Fedor was the first greatest MMArtist?

Epicurus

White Belt
Reaction score
There was anyone before Fedor that was a truly complete fighter?

The guy was amazing in everything he did: he could knock you out in a stand up game and/or on the ground with one of the most amazing Ground and Pound ever, he had a great bjj and his judo was so fucking amazing. He was fast as hell, he had the cardio to back it up and he was tough as fuck.

All of this just makes me think Fedor was a truly fighter ahead of his time. But there was any fighter who showed mastery in all of these disciplines BEFORE him?

I don't think Murilo Bustamante quite gets the credit he deserves, as far as being one of the first complete fighters in MMA at a championship level.

Bas Rutten ... a lot of the Pancrase top fighters were complete everywhere except gnp of course

He wasn't at the level of Fedor by any means but Don Frye had a background in boxing, wrestling and Judo. That is about as complete as you get.

Don't forgot how early BJ Penn came onto the scene. He appeared around the same time as Fedor.

You had earlier fighters like Don Frye, Frank Shamrock and Hayato Sakurai who were versatile way before Fedor or BJ, but you've gotta remember how 1 dimensional a lot of their opponents were.

Fedor and BJ really stood out when they appeared because they could outstrike strikers, and outgrapple grapplers. Before that a lot of the time the more versatile guys were just preying on areas their opponent is crap in.

Technically it was Marco Ruas, IMHO. But Fedor was the first Champ who had really put it all together.

I don't think Murilo Bustamante quite gets the credit he deserves, as far as being one of the first complete fighters in MMA at a championship level.

This is definitely true. There were some well-rounded fighters before Fedor. Also keep in mind Fedor almost lost his ability to use his legs against Randleman, and was almost knocked out by Fujita. People who had been watching the sport a bit before Fedor came along saw all these moments where Fedor was proven to be not all that invincible.

Ruas was probably the first guy who had a healthy amount of training in muay thai, subs, kicking, boxing, and takedowns, but Bustamante is a lighter/faster "upgraded" Ruas I guess.

Back