Fedor was never in a close fight during his prime; Gus 1,2,3; Santos 1,2,5; Reyes 1,2,3

Close? Maybe not but he lost and got his ass whooped.

Fedor is the greatest mixed martial artist ever. Jones is a cheating pansy that can't even grow the balls to fight at HW.

It is what it is.

<Fedor23>

This is the inherent problem with Fedor fandom. "Selective Prime".

When "Fedor was in his prime!". Okay, let's talk facts then. Jon Jones turns 33 in a few months, in a quarter of a year roughly. So he was an old 32 when he just fought Reyes.

Fedor was 33 years old, a late 33, when he fought in Strikeforce and lost to Henderson. He turned 34 and then he lost two more fights, making it three in a row. This is the problem, Fedor fans just brush this off as if he was shot and not the same fighter.

Okay...but we definitely count the losses to Anderson Silva for example, at age ~38 to Weidman twice and beyond into his 40s, that hurt his legacy. But he was obviously past his prime and much older. Cormier has been competing in his late 30s and 40s now at an extremely high level. Jones is essentially the same age as Fedor was when he dropped 3 in a row to tough competition with no cans to line the fights.

Fedor is an all-time great but he obviously fought cans, he didn't face elite competition frequently, and he lost while he was still 33-34 - three times in a row. Just not sure why this doesn't count. Just because someone loses = they aren't in their prime?

And yeah I've heard the mileage stuff, but that goes for any fighter. That goes for Jones, Silva, GSP, Aldo, Cruz, etc. Everyone gets injured, everyone has miles there at the top. And actually Fedor had a lot of cans / lesser competition to gain some rest unlike those names fighting the best of the best generally every fight.

Don't get me wrong, prime Jones could very well beat Fedor. We are talking about different eras. What I'm saying is that when we compare both fighters during their prime we have to admit that Fedor was never in a close fight during his prime. Yeah I know what happened in Arona fight but that was very early in Fedor's career. He went undefeated for a decade during his prime and fans never had to question his wins. Fedor was behind on the scorecards in some of his fights but he left do doubt and finished the guy later.
Jones arguably should have lost to Gustafsson, Santos and Reyes. First two are very arguable I know but he for sure lost to Reyes. When I'm comparing Fedor's and Jones's primes I have to put Fedor ahead because he left no doubts, although Jones could be p4p more skilled fighter because the sport has evolved.

Same thing about GSP (Hendricks and Penn fights)
Aldo (Frankie Edgar 1)
He was ko’d twice though

Tough to compare different eras. Fedor is GOAT Emeritus. Bones is the GOAT.

I thought Reyes won too but JEEEEESUS Christ who cares!

Prime Fedor got subbed by Werdum, Koed by Dan Henderson(lmao) beaten down by Bigfoot Silva who immediately got destroyed by DC and Cain shortly after, should have lost to Arona, had trouble with Brett fucking Rogers, got put on queer street by Fujita, etc. I know most of Sherdog loves Fedor because he's a short, fat, humble, generally non-threating guy so he's somewhat relatable and not intimidating, but most of the takes about him on here range from laughable to delusional.

It´s definitely not that simplistic, if ya really know what ya´re talkin´about...

Yeah, yeah, I know the rules were different in Rings, but he still got handled.

Don't get me wrong, prime Jones could very well beat Fedor. We are talking about different eras. What I'm saying is that when we compare both fighters during their prime we have to admit that Fedor was never in a close fight during his prime. Yeah I know what happened in Arona fight but that was very early in Fedor's career. He went undefeated for a decade during his prime and fans never had to question his wins. Fedor was behind on the scorecards in some of his fights but he left do doubt and finished the guy later.
Jones arguably should have lost to Gustafsson, Santos and Reyes. First two are very arguable I know but he for sure lost to Reyes. When I'm comparing Fedor's and Jones's primes I have to put Fedor ahead because he left no doubts, although Jones could be p4p more skilled fighter because the sport has evolved.

Same thing about GSP (Hendricks and Penn fights)
Aldo (Frankie Edgar 1)

Fedor's second fight with Big Nog was close before the accidental head contact made it a no-contest. Big Nog in his prime was a very good fighter, and though Fedor won both fights that went the distance unanimously, he never had Big Nog in trouble (ie Big Nog was never in danger of being finished). Fedor is one of the GOAT's, but Big Nog isn't far behind.

The man went 27 fights without losing a single round dating from the loss to TK and loss to Werdum in a span of 9 years. Pretty dominant.

lol stop what, exactly, mate? Do your homework, study the fight configurations back then & come back here, then ya might talk.

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that in 20 years of his MMA career there’s no possible “fight configurations” for Fedor to have fought more than 6 top 5 opponents? Cause that’s absolutely retarded.

Fedor just had to not fight the Zulus of the world or lower top 10s while he was on top, sign to the orgs where they were, or not lose the fights that could’ve gotten him to them.

It’s mind boggling how people try and defend his levels of competition. Meanwhile Jon just fought 4 top 5 opponents in a little over a year. It’s of course possible not to fight lesser competition.

Fedor had a couple of really close calls in his prime. The Randleplex and Fujita putting him on queer street could have easily turned in to Fedor being finished.

The Randleplex had almost no impact on Fedor at all or even hurt him, he just got flipped on his head and then immediately revered Kevin and subbed him. The Fujita shot rocked him though. But you can say the same about Jones and the Vitor arm bar.

Prime Fedor got subbed by Werdum, Koed by Dan Henderson(lmao) beaten down by Bigfoot Silva who immediately got destroyed by DC and Cain shortly after, should have lost to Arona, had trouble with Brett fucking Rogers, got put on queer street by Fujita, etc. I know most of Sherdog loves Fedor because he's a short, fat, humble, generally non-threating guy so he's somewhat relatable and not intimidating, but most of the takes about him on here range from laughable to delusional.

Sure, in the same sense prime Muhammad Ali (a much more talented fighter than Fedor or anyone in MMA) lost to Leon Spinks, Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick. Lets face it, Muhammad Ali was never any good, he just didn't get exposed until he was in his 30's.

Or maybe some athletes age quicker than others -- though on average 30 is old for an athlete (which is why only 5% of Olympic gold medals and 10% of NBA MVP"s go to athletes over the age of 30). Seriously, anyone who thinks everyone ages at the same rate should ask their doctor if everyone ages at the same rate. Or just visit an old folks home, where they'll see some 90 year olds who've aged better than some 60 year olds.

Seriously, the idea that eveyrone ages at the same rate is bizaare, even by Sherdog standards. Only on Sherdog will anyone believe that because one person is still in their prime at say age 32 then every person on the planet is still in their prime at age 32 (even the ones dying of some disease presumably).

Outside of Sherdog, people understand there's a reason people die of natural causes (ie not murdered or in an accident) at vastly different ages -- its because people age very differently,and so two 32 year olds might be at very different parts of their health curve. Again, go talk to a doctor, they'll explain how lifestyle, past history, and genetics determine aging,and that two people can be at the same chronological age but at very different physiological ages.

Last edited:
Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that in 20 years of his MMA career there’s no possible “fight configurations” for Fedor to have fought more than 6 top 5 opponents? Cause that’s absolutely retarded.

Fedor just had to not fight the Zulus of the world or lower top 10s while he was on top, sign to the orgs where they were, or not lose the fights that could’ve gotten him to them.

It’s mind boggling how people try and defend his levels of competition. Meanwhile Jon just fought 4 top 5 opponents in a little over a year. It’s of course possible not to fight lesser competition.
The fook Im talkin´about?

Im tellin´ya that you´re literally clueless about that era.

Dont try to pretend & educate yourself:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...t-16-siamese-brothers-the-2-hw-goats.3851935/

Not in his PRIME, piss belt you are drunk.
Fedor hasn't even been in the UFC so what are we talkin bout? He was a bum in Strikeforce. He won against 3 meters japanase freaks and you treat him like a King. What a joke for fuck sake haha

Do you think it's because he was not really dealing with dangerous dudes every time out? Nog and Cro Cop, in my opinion, were the dangerous ones. Everyone else was several tiers down. And, I would contend, everyone but Fedor was pretty one dimensional.

Jones is not dealing with that short of a list. Everyone coming up is a killer, and not a stylist but a complete fighter.

As much as I love Fedor and as much as I dislike Jones, Jones' accomplishments to date are more impressive given the depth of contenders.

Both were on that shit, so pico pulsing don't count.

Back