Fedor was around ~230 during his absolute peak at HW, how much of a disadvantage was it?

Although he didn't carry the most weight as a HW, he moved around like a WW and even last night he showed his hand speed is impressive as ever for a HW.

If your relatively fast fighting against unskilled sloppy big men, being 230 is a huge advantage.

"Fighters" like Hun Man Choi were essentially disabled by their size

hqdefault.jpg

I hate this argument. Imagine if DC can take Stipes punches at HW, then he should be able to eat anyone's punches at MW like a damn fried chicken leg.
No, if you take a good punch to the chin you're going down. The mw are not as powerful as the heavyweights but they are on general technically superior and faster, there's is also the fact that dc is short as fuk so is really hard to hit him on the chin especialy when you're 6'4 like stipe

Probably because the average athleticism and skill at 155/170 is wildly higher then heavyweight.

Even today we're shuffling around old farts and single-skill guys in the top 15. The UFC has 45 fighters signed to heavyweight right now. There are 92 and 89 signed to 155/170.

That is literally TWICE the depth.
That's because HW sized athletes are playing HW sports that pay huge money. The pool for lighter weights is significantly higher because they are undersized for any real sport.

Cro Cop was about 220 during his prime, smaller than most LHW’s today.

It’s funny how people jerk off when some lighter weight fighter moves up 10 lbs to fight in a higher weight class, but completely ignore a HW taking down a guy who outweighs him by 50 lbs.

I dont disagree with you, but 10-15 pounds for say BW is the same as a 20-30 lb difference at HW. I can only think of a few times in modern history where a 220 HW fought a 270 HW. Randy vs Brock? He also got rag dolled.

Also once you get over 200 pounds ,you can literally knock anyone out. Look at Marcel Fortuna. He is a MW and knockout out 6'5 265 Hamilton with one shot.

if u could strip all the fat from fedor prime, he would probably weigh 185

It wasn't. It was an advantage cause it afforded him more mobility in a division where no one has any bleeping cardio and are dependent on landing a big shot. The idea of weight being an advantage dies at the top levels of 185 and 205 cause at the lower divisions you're seperating different sized humans but once you hit 205 and now 185 you're really just separating large sized humans with different BMI.

Yup, that's why it is so weird that Jon Jones wont move up.

He'd have an advantage over all of the other HWs but still wont move up to fight any of them.

I dont disagree with you, but 10-15 pounds for say BW is the same as a 20-30 lb difference at HW. I can only think of a few times in modern history where a 220 HW fought a 270 HW. Randy vs Brock? He also got rag dolled.

Also once you get over 200 pounds ,you can literally knock anyone out. Look at Marcel Fortuna. He is a MW and knockout out 6'5 265 Hamilton with one shot.
Yes I did the math too, a BW or a FW moves up 10 lbs and they’re praised as if it’s David vs Goliath.

A small HW being outweighed by 30 lbs is not uncommon at all especially in the Pride era. That’s a higher percentage of weight disadvantage, but Fedor and Mirko never got the same credit for fighting much bigger guys while everyone was all over BJ Penns nuts at the time with all that p4p talk.

It was a HUGE disadvantage. I mean during his prime, only weighing like 230 he lost to guys like........... ummmm.........hmmmm....

If your relatively fast fighting against unskilled sloppy big men, being 230 is a huge advantage.

"Fighters" like Hun Man Choi were essentially disabled by their size

hqdefault.jpg

Yup, that's exactly why Jon Jones is a pussy for not moving up.

And why his fans are hilarious for trying to defend it.

Fedor at least had some balls, unlike Jon, who seems to have lost all of his due to steroid shrinkage.

Elite heavyweights who were 250 lbs+ at their peak:
  • Cormier
  • Ngannou
  • Overeem
  • Black Beast
  • Brock
  • Jairzinho

Last edited:
Fedor was definitely fighting in the wrong division. Dude could have cut weight and at the least been a LHW. And if Fedor really had championship level training and dieting down, he could quite possibly make it to MW. Too bad Fedor loved food too much to show his true greatness.

fedor-emelianenko-1_medium.jpg

he has the greatest run seen in MMA so far to date. At HW, the division where it is the easiest for you to make 1 small mistake and pay the ultimate price.

The fact is he was in all reality, the smaller man in a large majority of his fights, giving up weight/height/reach and still completely decimated everyone put in his path at the highest levels of HW MMA from 2002-2009.

If you don't think that is true greatness, then unfortunately, you're an idiot.

Last edited:
Quickness was how he beat heavyweights. It wasn’t a disadvantage. He was in the right weight class. Had he cut weight to 205 I think he would have struggled

I remember when Hendo would come in weighing 199 lbs to fight at LHW lol.

Weight cutting wasn't huge back then, esp in JMMA.

Yup, that's why it is so weird that Jon Jones wont move up.

He'd have an advantage over all of the other HWs but still wont move up to fight any of them.

He's a LHW. Moving up would just validate the trolls who think he has something to prove.

That's because HW sized athletes are playing HW sports that pay huge money. The pool for lighter weights is significantly higher because they are undersized for any real sport.

That makes up a small portion of it.

We crown 8 new Division I All American heavyweight wrestlers - every year - where are all these guys?

You would be shocked to find out how many are teaching high school gym for 45k/year plus benefits, because thats how bad the risk vs reward is in entry level UFC pay.

Until their is more advocacy for fighters, or the starting pay isn't 12k to get your head punched in, good athletes with options are not going to seriously consider MMA.

Fedor was definitely fighting in the wrong division. Dude could have cut weight and at the least been a LHW. And if Fedor really had championship level training and dieting down, he could quite possibly make it to MW. Too bad Fedor loved food too much to show his true greatness.

fedor-emelianenko-1_medium.jpg
He could have fought at MW he would be forrest griffin level most likely, would get matrixed by Andy and have his head kicked off by TRT vitor.

I hate this argument. Imagine if DC can take Stipes punches at HW, then he should be able to eat anyone's punches at MW like a damn fried chicken leg.
So you think extra mass doesn't help him absorb shots better?

He could have fought at MW he would be forrest griffin level most likely, would get matrixed by Andy and have his head kicked off by TRT vitor.
Fedor would get destroyed at anything under HW.
The level of skill at HW was so poor especially in Pride.
His advantage that he was reasonably fast for plodding unathletic guys.

Imagine what LHWs and MWs would do to him.
It would be this on the daily-
henderson-rocking-fedor.jpg

But by younger, faster fighters

This is such a stupid thread asking a question everyone knows the answer to.
If you want to know how much Fedors weight was a disadvantage during his absolute peak, just look at how many fights he lost during that time.
And fuck me for even responding to such stupidity.

Fedor would get destroyed at anything under HW.
The level of skill at HW was so poor especially in Pride.
His advantage that he was reasonably fast for plodding unathletic guys.

Imagine what LHWs and MWs would do to him.
It would be this on the daily-
henderson-rocking-fedor.jpg

But by younger, faster fighters
Exactly, costa,whittaker, yoel, izzy would starch him if old man hendo could.

Back