Fedor vs today's UFC Top fighters

pridedorim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First of all I am a huge huge Fedor Emelianenko fan. I discovered MMA thanks to him and I have watched all of his fights at least 15 times.

There has been a lot of debate on who is the GOAT, a lot of talks about how would Fedor do against the UFC fighters.
Some people think that UFC fighters would destroy Fedor, other people think that Fedor would destroy them.

I do not want to make this thread very long, so I will be as brief as possible.

Fedor Emelianenko is without any doubt an amazing fighter, very well rounded, very strong, very good cardio, and with a very powerful mindset.

He was the best of his time? Absolutely!
Would he defeat the likes of Cain or Jon Jones? NO!

Fedor was ahead of his time, he was a very well rounded and complete fighter, and destroyed many opponents, however unfortunately at that time MMA fighters were still very limited if we compare them to the fighters of today.

PRIDE FC was to me the greatest organization ever (way more entertaining than the UFC), however it is not a secret that they made tons of absolute freak fights to entertain the people, or simply to pad the record of the big Dogs.

If we look at Fedor's opponents, we can see some legit great HWs (Mirko, Nogueira, Arlovsky etc.), we see some absolute jokes (Zulu, Choi), and we see a lot of decent fighters, but very one dimensional (Coleman, Fujita, Hunt, Randleman, Ogawa, Goodridge etc.).

He defeated all of them because as I said, Fedor was ahead of his time. He was a very well rounded fighter in a time where most MMA fighters were still one dimensional.
And to be honest, even against some of those one dimensional fighters, he had some sorts of trouble (Almost got KOd by Fujita, was controlled in the ground by Mark Hunt!, was taken down and controlled by Coleman ((first fight)), got slammed by Randleman etc.).
He won all of those fights because he was the better fighter, however it showed that he had some weaknesses.

How would Fedor do against today's top fighters?
Would he be in the Top 10? Top 5?

I think that he would definitely be in the Top 10, and probably in the Top 5. But would he defeat Jones or Cain? The chances are slim.

He would for sure defeat the likes of Frank Mir or Stefan Struve though.
And I think that he would have destroyed Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar as well.

He was without any doubt the best of his generation, he was the best from 2003 to 2008.
If he went to the UFC after Pride died, for sure he would have won the UFC belt.

But the sport has evolved a lot, and the current Top fighters are very very well prepared and they are way better than the competition Fedor used to face.

After his Strikeforce run, Fedor destroyed Monson, Rizzo and Ishii. Those 3 are the kind of fighters that Fedor mainly fought at Pride. Good fighters but pretty one dimensional and "green", if we compare them to the UFC's top fighters.
Fedor destroyed them easily, showing that he was still at a high level.
However we saw what happened when he faced Werdum, BigFoot and Hendo.

We can say all we want about BigFoot having 50 pounds more, but look what Cain did to BigFoot. And Cain weighs the same as Fedor!

In conclussion, Fedor is one of the greatest fighters of all time. He was the best of his time, just like Bas Rutten was the best of his time, just like Royce Gracie was the best of his time.
However today's top fighters would beat Fedor if they fought. I say that as the huge huge Fedor fan that I am.

It is the same as Ronda Rousey. She is by far the best fighter, but why? Simply because the level of comeptition in her division is still very weak.
That is not her fault, she is fighting the best available, however all those women are very very limited.
If the sport continues evolving, in 10 years we will see female fighters that are much better than current Ronda Rousey.
It does not mean that she sucks, it simply means that she is ahead of her time.

HW division is pretty bad. Fedor would still be top 10, even now.

His style is outdated now, it's all about that High fight IQ these days.

In a ring he is favorite over everybody

Tl;DR

Fedor beats everyone except Cain

Fedor was the best in the Ring/PrideFC rules/judging, which he honed his game towards.

Cain/Jones are best in the wide open spaces of the cage and Unified rules/criteria.

Fedor would be beaten in the current UFC even in his prime, against a guy like Cain and likely Jones too, but he would certainly be top5 at LHW or HW IMO.

IMO however Fedor would beat anyone past or present fighting in PrideFC ring with the more dangerous Pride rules and overall scoring, 10 min first round etc. There has been no better fighter every fighting to those rules, in which in his prime he honed himself to fight in. He is the GOAT in the ring.

The game has changed considerably since the Unified System has become the 'default' for MMA - its almost a different sport to the type of MMA in which Fedor dominated in Pride.

Apples and oranges in many ways

He could definitely beat everyone but I'd pick Cain, JDS and maaaaaybe Werdum against him. I think if Fedor immediately rematcehd Werdum he would have won, but this new and improved Werdum I might favor over any Fedor, but probably not.

Ring is smaller than cage, which allows brute strength because it limits movement. And some tactics dont do well in ring like wall and stall

Fedor proved years ago that he was never up to snuff against today's fighters. And hell, he didn't fight any of the guys that were even the top guys.

He'd get killed by JDS, Cain, Cormier, Jones, and probably Travis Browne as well.

This version of Werdum would really beat him in several ways as well.

Fedor's hand speed and accuracy would be too much for any current heavyweight. Even Cain Velasquez.

I respect all of these fighters that you mention. BUT I am sure about one thing - even now I would rather watch Fedor then those other fighters, with huge respect to Jones, Cain, Junir etc etc.. Because, I dont know for sure, but Fedor is simply very very interesting. I think thats the real word - interesting!

One thing about him that is so different that many fighters, even today's, was is disregard for self preservation. He went straight at his opponent and swung hard with every blow. He wasn't a probing fighter and he had incredible balance and amazing hip and upper-body takedowns. I don't think anyone has ever had such a toolset. His sambo style was very distinct and effective.

And just one thing more. You said that SPORT EVOLVE, it is true. Training evolved, trainers evolved, sparing partners evolved, suplements evolved etc.. So we cant be sure that prime Fedor in this time wouldnt win over Cain, Junior, Jones.. Maybe he would lose, but maybe he would WIN.

I respect all of these fighters that you mention. BUT I am sure about one thing - even now I would rather watch Fedor then those other fighters, with huge respect to Jones, Cain, Junir etc etc.. Because, I dont know for sure, but Fedor is simply very very interesting. I think thats the real word - interesting!

I agree with that. Fedor never had a boring fight, win or lose he always put the fans in a state where you knew that everything could end at any second.

Cain is actually very entertaining too, but not so much as Fedor.

Jones is dominant but some of his fights are very boring.

Back