News Bellator 269: Fedor vs Timothy Johnson for Oct 23

Who wins

• Fedor

• Johnson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ya Number two in the rankings. So what? Fedor is not in the stage of his career where he is a title contender.

Complaining that Johnson is too hard for Fedor is reasonable

I'm referring to the dopes who are calling a top 15 fighter a bum

Everyone was hoping for JDS, Reem, Barnett, Hunt or Werdum rematches, Brock (I know that one never happening) and they go with Tim Johnson?

Talk about a total letdown and wack fight esp with Fedor being on this retirement tour with one or two fights left.

I’ll respectfully disagree just a bit. Bellator was still a pretty respectable org when Fedor signed with them, although they’ve declined a ton since. Fedor entered a HW tournament to try and win the belt, and made it to the finals. Now he’s booked against the highest-ranked available HW. I don’t think Fedor’s Bellator fights have been against bad opponents, the Rampage fight being the exception.

You strike me as a fan who started watching Fedor late so you're happy with whatever you get. I respect that but it's obvious you just want to see him compete.

The fact is nobody knows who Johnson is or cares about him and he's going to bury the GOAT in Russia in front if his hometown fans in his last fight.

Fedor is 45 and shouldn't be matched up with a durable, 35 year old brawler / wrestler who nobody gives a shit about.

If Fedor is to go out on his shield it should be against an all time great like JDS, Reem or even Barnett or give him someone like Wand to crush and ride off into the sunset. Not some fat bellied, tough journey man who is going to send him to hell and leave his long time fans with a bitter end to a once great career.

Eh, I dont like it. Johnson will most likely brutally KO Fedor in Russia. It will be depressing all around.

Eh, I dont like it. Johnson will most likely brutally KO Fedor in Russia. It will be depressing all around.
Then the UFC casuals will say, "Lol he lost to a UFC reject, the real GOAT is Cormier or Stipe"

You mean beating them when they are on the decline? impressive!

You strike me as a fan who started watching Fedor late so you're happy with whatever you get. I respect that but it's obvious you just want to see him compete.

The fact is nobody knows who Johnson is or cares about him and he's going to bury the GOAT in Russia in front if his hometown fans in his last fight.

Fedor is 45 and shouldn't be matched up with a durable, 35 year old brawler / wrestler who nobody gives a shit about.

If Fedor is to go out on his shield it should be against an all time great like JDS, Reem or even Barnett or give him someone like Wand to crush and ride off into the sunset. Not some fat bellied, tough journey man who is going to send him to hell and leave his long time fans with a bitter end to a once great career.
Lol I strike you as a fan who started watching Fedor compete late? <45>Why is that, out of curiosity? Because although I’m disappointed that we didn’t get a JDS fight or whatever, I think this fight is reasonable to book? I probably started watching Fedor in 2005 or 2006 btw, so 15-16 years ago.

Look: I’m bummed we didn’t get a JDS or Werdum fight. It feels like those were real possibilities, although we obviously don’t know the details. But if those deals couldn’t be made, who in Bellator should Fedor have been booked to fight? Barnett? I’d love to see it, but there’s every possibility that Barnett fucks that fight up again. Basically Kongo and Johnson are the viable options.

I’ll be nervous AF, I won’t lie, but Fedor wins this fight I think. He’s not going to be “sent to hell” by Tim Johnson.

Tim Johnson has a legitimate claim as one of the very best HW fighters in the modern era. He has great striking, wrestling, and cardio for days. He's only lost to top guys and some of those were questionable. Once he demolishes Fedor, I suspect he'll go on a run and end up back in the UFC. His style matches up perfectly against Ngganou.

Lol I strike you as a fan who started watching Fedor compete late? <45>Why is that, out of curiosity? Because although I’m disappointed that we didn’t get a JDS fight or whatever, I think this fight is reasonable to book? I probably started watching Fedor in 2005 or 2006 btw, so 15-16 years ago.

Look: I’m bummed we didn’t get a JDS or Werdum fight. It feels like those were real possibilities, although we obviously don’t know the details. But if those deals couldn’t be made, who in Bellator should Fedor have been booked to fight? Barnett? I’d love to see it, but there’s every possibility that Barnett fucks that fight up again. Basically Kongo and Johnson are the viable options.

I’ll be nervous AF, I won’t lie, but Fedor wins this fight I think. He’s not going to be “sent to hell” by Tim Johnson.

You seem grateful and optimistic to watch Fedor fight regardless of who or where it is but the truth is that there is no way a fan who has been watching Fedor from the mid 2000s would be happy about this kind of match making at this stage of Fedors career.

He's 45 years old with a shot chin, poor cardio and was recently hospitalized with covid and they matched him up against 1)A guy no one knows or cares about 2)a guy who is ugly as hell and losing to looks embarrassing to the casual 3) a guy who is a whole generation younger than Fedor at 35 years old 4) a guy who is 6'3 260lb durable wrestler/brawler 5) a guy who will likely stop Fedor if Fedor can't get the head hunting KO in the early goings. Fedor got tired from 3 minutes of wrestling with Sonnen in 2018. It will be no different here.

If he can't get the KO early he will likely get pressured and stopped considering his age, chin and cardio and considering that Johnson just went 5 rounds with no problem. This is going to look and feel terrible and will end Fedors career on a bitter note and as a long time fan I think he deserves better but if he was too dumb to avoid his career reaching this state then so be it, I suppose.

I don't want to hear any excuses as to why they couldn't close a deal with anyone else because they're promoters and this is their job. They could have done a Mitrione rematch but released him. Werdum offered but they couldn't get it done. JDS offered but they couldn't get it done. Reem offered but they couldn't get it done. Barnett offered but they couldn't get it done. I'm sure even Frank Mir would have been down. All guys with respectable careers or guys Fedor has history with.

Instead they chose Johnson, a guy who nobody gives a shit about, a guy who has no history with Fedor, and a guy it will look super ugly for Fedor to lose to. Smh. No idea how anyone but a "newer" fan could be happy with this matchmaking.

No dishespect. Just an observation.

You seem grateful and optimistic to watch Fedor fight regardless of who or where it is but the truth is that there is no way a fan who has been watching Fedor from the mid 2000s would be happy about this kind of match making at this stage of Fedors career.

He's 45 years old with a shot chin, poor cardio and was recently hospitalized with covid and they matched him up against 1)A guy no one knows or cares about 2)a guy who is ugly as hell and losing to looks embarrassing to the casual 3) a guy who is a whole generation younger than Fedor at 35 years old 4) a guy who is 6'3 260lb durable wrestler/brawler 5) a guy who will likely stop Fedor if Fedor can't get the head hunting KO in the early goings. Fedor got tired from 3 minutes of wrestling with Sonnen in 2018. It will be no different here.

If he can't get the KO early he will likely get pressured and stopped considering his age, chin and cardio and considering that Johnson just went 5 rounds with no problem. This is going to look and feel terrible and will end Fedors career on a bitter note and as a long time fan I think he deserves better but if he was too dumb to avoid his career reaching this state then so be it, I suppose.

I don't want to hear any excuses as to why they couldn't close a deal with anyone else because they're promoters and this is their job. They could have done a Mitrione rematch but released him. Werdum offered but they couldn't get it done. JDS offered but they couldn't get it done. Reem offered but they couldn't get it done. Barnett offered but they couldn't get it done. I'm sure even Frank Mir would have been down. All guys with respectable careers or guys Fedor has history with.

Instead they chose Johnson, a guy who nobody gives a shit about, a guy who has no history with Fedor, and a guy it will look super ugly for Fedor to lose to. Smh. No idea how anyone but a "newer" fan could be happy with this matchmaking.

No dishespect. Just an observation.
Oh I’m not over the moon about it. Like I said, I’d have preferred Werdum. If not, JDS or Reem, but Coker seemed to only want those guys for one-offs (a decision I disagree with btw). So yes, I’m disappointed that we didn’t get those fights. But since we didn’t, I think Johnson is a fine fight to make. Props to Fedor for taking it, honestly.

As far as my MMA fandom, I was a casual in the 90s and got into MMA fully around 2005 or so. If you want to think I’m some new fan or casual, have at it, I’m long past the point where I worry about stuff like that.

Oh I’m not over the moon about it. Like I said, I’d have preferred Werdum. If not, JDS or Reem, but Coker seemed to only want those guys for one-offs (a decision I disagree with btw). So yes, I’m disappointed that we didn’t get those fights. But since we didn’t, I think Johnson is a fine fight to make. Props to Fedor for taking it, honestly.

As far as my MMA fandom, I was a casual in the 90s and got into MMA fully around 2005 or so. If you want to think I’m some new fan or casual, have at it, I’m long past the point where I worry about stuff like that.

It's not about you being a casual or a "stupid fan " I didn't mean it that way.

My point is you come off as someone who is just happy to see Fedor fight.

It's not about you being a casual or a "stupid fan " I didn't mean it that way.

My point is you come off as someone who is just happy to see Fedor fight.
Well that part is accurate :)
Yes, his chin is shot and he’s old. But he’s the GOAT, and I think any MMA fan should be grateful that he’s still willing to step in the cage, and he still goes for the kill as best he can. So yeah, I’ll be pumped for this fight just because I’m pumped for all Fedor fights, and I’ll def be cheering for him.

Tim Johnson has a legitimate claim as one of the very best HW fighters in the modern era. He has great striking, wrestling, and cardio for days. He's only lost to top guys and some of those were questionable. Once he demolishes Fedor, I suspect he'll go on a run and end up back in the UFC. His style matches up perfectly against Ngganou.
Tim Johnson is one of Ngannou's main training partners

I thought they would want to do Fedor vs Sergei in Russia. That would have made a lot more sense to me.

This is a borderline squash though, only Fedor is the one getting squashed. The most likely outcome of this fight by far is Fedor getting knocked out.

The Barnett fight couldn't have made any more sense in my opinion. He was begging for it on social media, he's under contract. How could they get this wrong? Boggles the mind.

Yep, plus with Josh the chances of Fedor getting KO stiffed is much slimmer. May still lose but it would be in a much better looking fashion.

Back