Fedor never beat a great, well rounded fighter

TheBulge

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I tire of constantly making this point in other threads, as it is deserving of its own thread.

I was just discussing this topic with my good friends JKS and "GOAT." I will post my latest response here, as it sums up Fedor's opposition.

Heath Herring was never a great fighter. He is most famous for taking some of the worst beatings in HW MMA history every time he stepped up in comp.

Nogueira again, was a one dimensional grappler. A great fighter but He was not well rounded, some of you are simply confusing him with his brother. Big Nog had no defense, got hit hard in every fight and used that to drag it to the ground, had hardly any offensive or defensive standup skills and was carried there by his granite chin. He was a flailing arm-puncher with no defense and once his chin went, so did his level in MMA.

Arlovski was the closest thing you could call a great well rounded opponent Fedor beat but he had clearly abandoned his sambo grappling long before he fought Fedor. He had a submission win 4 years before he fought Fedor and the 2 other subs he has in his career were at the very beginning. He was a full striker with a weak chin by that point, Nelson put him on his back and was about to Kimura him before the ref stood them up. Arlovski was not a well rounded fighter.

Some even mentioned Cro Cop who had no grappling other than TDD and holding on for dear life in guard.

Great well rounded fighters are guys who can fight well striking or grappling, no specific aspects needed. Just just two attributes, and they actually use it. I heard Kharitonov's name mentioned, he was one. So was Aleksander, Randy Couture and Frank Mir, Barnett(borderline) Shane Carwin, Velasquez, Ubereem, DC, Bigfoot, 2010's Werdum etc. These guys were in his era.

Could have fought them all but he didn't. The few he faced beat him. The main point is that Fedor as a well rounded fighter took advantage of opponents who were one-dimensional. Go ahead and look at his record. It's old school MMA fighters, either they were grapplers or strikers. The only ones who mixed it up, defeated him.

Cheers, good talk already. I can already sense that this is going to be handled with class and maturity. Have a good one.

Prime Nog was one of the better boxers that HW has seen

His wrestling was a bigger weakness than his boxing

Barnett would've been the most well-rounded Fedor fought but Josh pissed it away (literally)

It’s been done to death but there is no doubt he fought a lot of cans and past their prime fighters. I think Big Nog is one of the more overrated HWs ever and a lot of Fedors legacy is built on those wins.

I think if i gave you a list of the top 10 guys Fedor and Stipe beat, Stipes list is a better more complete list. I have Stipe at number 1 and Fedor at number 2.

Prime Nog was one of the better boxers that HW has seen

His wrestling was a bigger weakness than his boxing

Barnett would've been the most well-rounded Fedor fought but Josh pissed it away (literally)
Josh Barnett is well rounded? Hm

As a big Fedor fan I agree.

I think he'd just be outsized by today's UFC heavyweights, though if Cormier is any model I think he could find some success.

Josh Barnett is well rounded? Hm

His striking was effective in the clinch and took control of fights, so technically it's not a kickboxing striking strategy but it was a striking element that made him well rounded.

Nogueira did not control any part of his fights with any kind of striking, even his ground and pound was sub-par considering his BJJ skills.

Yeah but thats an unfair assessment considering most fighters in every weight class during Fedors Prime were pretty much one dimensional, fighters just weren't that well rounded, you can only fight who is available. (I don't think hes the GOAT BTW)

Yeah but thats an unfair assessment considering most fighters in every weight class during Fedors Prime were pretty much one dimensional, fighters just weren't that well rounded, you can only fight who is available. (I don't think hes the GOAT BTW)

HWs in general now are less well rounded than Big Nog, Heath Herring, Andrei Arlovski and Cro Cop were.

TS is a moron.

Man you Fedor bashers truly are insecure lol y'all create thread after thread trying to discredit the guy but all you are really doing is exposing how much of an mma newb/casual you are. Imagine in 2021 (more than a decade past the man's prime) feeling the need to create so many threads about him.

Try harder.

Last edited:
He definitely doesn’t have as good of a resume as a guy like Stipe but he beat some good guys for his time

If that is true(Which I pointed out is untrue) then that automatically disqualifies him from being ranked so high.

He'd be more in the realm of a pioneer like Royce Gracie or Ken Shamrock, guys who were great for their time but they simply had no great, modern level of opposition to really prove their worth.

Fedor had that chance in his early 30s when he went to strikeforce, could have become the GOAT by beating 5 monstrous, very well rounded HW's in Werdum, Bigfoot, Cormier, Ubereem and Barnett.

But he stayed the same, same old tricks that worked against the one dimensional opponents of the 2000s no longer worked in the new era.

Back