1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Fedor never beat a great, well rounded fighter

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by TheBulge, Jul 24, 2021.

1. TheBulge Yellow Card Yellow Card

I tire of constantly making this point in other threads, as it is deserving of its own thread.

I was just discussing this topic with my good friends JKS and "GOAT." I will post my latest response here, as it sums up Fedor's opposition.

Heath Herring was never a great fighter. He is most famous for taking some of the worst beatings in HW MMA history every time he stepped up in comp.

Nogueira again, was a one dimensional grappler. A great fighter but He was not well rounded, some of you are simply confusing him with his brother. Big Nog had no defense, got hit hard in every fight and used that to drag it to the ground, had hardly any offensive or defensive standup skills and was carried there by his granite chin. He was a flailing arm-puncher with no defense and once his chin went, so did his level in MMA.

Arlovski was the closest thing you could call a great well rounded opponent Fedor beat but he had clearly abandoned his sambo grappling long before he fought Fedor. He had a submission win 4 years before he fought Fedor and the 2 other subs he has in his career were at the very beginning. He was a full striker with a weak chin by that point, Nelson put him on his back and was about to Kimura him before the ref stood them up. Arlovski was not a well rounded fighter.

Some even mentioned Cro Cop who had no grappling other than TDD and holding on for dear life in guard.

Great well rounded fighters are guys who can fight well striking or grappling, no specific aspects needed. Just just two attributes, and they actually use it. I heard Kharitonov's name mentioned, he was one. So was Aleksander, Randy Couture and Frank Mir, Barnett(borderline) Shane Carwin, Velasquez, Ubereem, DC, Bigfoot, 2010's Werdum etc. These guys were in his era.

Could have fought them all but he didn't. The few he faced beat him. The main point is that Fedor as a well rounded fighter took advantage of opponents who were one-dimensional. Go ahead and look at his record. It's old school MMA fighters, either they were grapplers or strikers. The only ones who mixed it up, defeated him.

Cheers, good talk already. I can already sense that this is going to be handled with class and maturity. Have a good one.

2. blastoff Banned Banned

Prime Nog was one of the better boxers that HW has seen

His wrestling was a bigger weakness than his boxing

Barnett would've been the most well-rounded Fedor fought but Josh pissed it away (literally)

bigmacbub, FuriousG, RemyR and 2 others like this.
  3. Melas Chasma Silver Belt

Fedor is the GOAT.

4. theleerygoose Purple Belt

It’s been done to death but there is no doubt he fought a lot of cans and past their prime fighters. I think Big Nog is one of the more overrated HWs ever and a lot of Fedors legacy is built on those wins.

I think if i gave you a list of the top 10 guys Fedor and Stipe beat, Stipes list is a better more complete list. I have Stipe at number 1 and Fedor at number 2.

GOATtalks likes this.
  5. Frank McEdgar =====(SHERDOG)=====

Zuluzinho was extremely well rounded

6. Final Say So Icey Belt

Josh Barnett is well rounded? Hm

7. Young Calf Kick Green Belt

oh boy here we go

8. Venom Lurker since '09

As a big Fedor fan I agree.

I think he'd just be outsized by today's UFC heavyweights, though if Cormier is any model I think he could find some success.

GOATtalks likes this.
  9. tat2man5k Black Belt

I see what you did there.

Frank McEdgar likes this.
  10. mb23100 Steel Belt

This should be fun

200w (2).gif

11. TheBulge Yellow Card Yellow Card

His striking was effective in the clinch and took control of fights, so technically it's not a kickboxing striking strategy but it was a striking element that made him well rounded.

Nogueira did not control any part of his fights with any kind of striking, even his ground and pound was sub-par considering his BJJ skills.

12. Jozo Sha Zymurgy Belt Platinum Member

TS, just admit you hate Fedor and you won't have to go through all these contortions to justify your feelings about him.

13. mjfan23 Gold Belt

He never did. He beat bums only. Ironically the bums he beat like AA are still winning in modern well rounded ufc (2 decades past his prime) hahahaha

14. DCarf Brown Belt

Yeah but thats an unfair assessment considering most fighters in every weight class during Fedors Prime were pretty much one dimensional, fighters just weren't that well rounded, you can only fight who is available. (I don't think hes the GOAT BTW)

GOATtalks likes this.
  15. Only Here for Attachments Boomer Lives Matter

So who should he have fought instead?

16. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

HWs in general now are less well rounded than Big Nog, Heath Herring, Andrei Arlovski and Cro Cop were.

TS is a moron.

17. 2004 account For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill

Man you Fedor bashers truly are insecure lol y'all create thread after thread trying to discredit the guy but all you are really doing is exposing how much of an mma newb/casual you are. Imagine in 2021 (more than a decade past the man's prime) feeling the need to create so many threads about him.

Try harder.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  18. asdf122345 Red Belt

@NorrisB

Fedor is GOAT. He's no can crusher.

ThunderL1ps likes this.
  19. Final Say So Icey Belt

He definitely doesn’t have as good of a resume as a guy like Stipe but he beat some good guys for his time

20. TheBulge Yellow Card Yellow Card

If that is true(Which I pointed out is untrue) then that automatically disqualifies him from being ranked so high.

He'd be more in the realm of a pioneer like Royce Gracie or Ken Shamrock, guys who were great for their time but they simply had no great, modern level of opposition to really prove their worth.

Fedor had that chance in his early 30s when he went to strikeforce, could have become the GOAT by beating 5 monstrous, very well rounded HW's in Werdum, Bigfoot, Cormier, Ubereem and Barnett.

But he stayed the same, same old tricks that worked against the one dimensional opponents of the 2000s no longer worked in the new era.

Chosen likes this.