Fedor Emelianenko vs. Chael Sonnen Officially Booked for Oct. 13 in Long Island, New York

Tito easily handled Sonnen just last year, it shouldn't be much of an issue for Fedor, or in fact anyone that actually trains (unlike out of shape Rampage and Wand rolling out of the coach for a last paycheck).

If in 2003, when I watched Fedor fight for the first time, I said he would face Chael Sonnen in a HW tournament, you all would want to kill me.

But if he loses to Sonnen? It's gonna be real hard to keep talking about Fedor as one of the greatest of all time and more ammo for the "can-crusher" crowd

Obviously it's more ammo for the anti-Fedor crowd - but it shouldn't be, and it's not gonna stop the ones who believes he's the GOAT, as they've got the very reasonable counter argument that Fedor is far past his prime.

That said, Fedor beating Sonnen should logically do as little for his legacy as it should hurt it by losing.

I'm rooting Chael because i want to see massive amounts of butthurt of Fedor's fans

Obviously it's more ammo for the anti-Fedor crowd - but it shouldn't be, and it's not gonna stop the ones who believes he's the GOAT, as they've got the very reasonable counter argument that Fedor is far past his prime.

That said, Fedor beating Sonnen should logically do as little for his legacy as it should hurt it by losing.

I remember when Crocop was discussing his Gonzaga rematch, and he was stating that it was one he absolutely had to have for his legacy. No excuses. I feel like this is a similar case for Fedor.

Just don't f'n lose lol. Not to Sonnen. Don't bring up your age or being past your prime. Just win and that's it.

Last edited:
Emelianenko vs Sonnen
No matter how many times I see it, it still looks ridiculous.
It's such a lose-lose situation for Emelianenko, if he beats Sonnen, well ofcourse he beat Sonnen, one of the greatest heavyweights of alltime vs a Middleweight. It's not exactly a career defining victory. But if he loses to Sonnen? It's gonna be real hard to keep talking about Fedor as one of the greatest of all time and more ammo for the "can-crusher" crowd

It's a tournament. You get who you get. The only people who will call Sonnen a MW are idiots who want to create a false narrative. You aren't going to win people like that over anyway because they only care about their agenda. Sonnen is currently a HW, is in the HW tournament, and beat a very big HW in his last fight.

Rumble fought at WW before, that doesn't make him a WW for all of history. No one says Gus or half of the LHW division was KO'd by a WW. They do it with Fedor because they are leftovers from the dana white Fedor bashing era. Cult members who repeat whatever their lord and savior tells them to say. It's like with Dan Henderson, the guy was the 205 lbs champ in Pride, was the current 205 lbs champ in Strikeforce when fighting Fedor, weighed in at HW for the fight, and yet the false narrative was Fedor lost to a MW. It's nonsense.

I'm rooting Chael because i want to see massive amounts of butthurt of Fedor's fans

That is a pretty sad commentary about yourself. You should look for better things to find pleasure in, than random people you don't know not liking the results of a fight.

Nassau Coliseum is where UFC did the Weidman vs Gastelum card last year, drew a good crowd as well

Sonnen's keys to winning are pretty clear to me. 1. Fake a shot and throw a punch to catch Fedor. Fedor's chin isn't what it once was. 2. Work for a takedown to create a scramble. Fedor doesn't generally give up and fall on his back these days, he turns to his knees to stand up, where Sonnen can catch a Guillotine.

Fedor's key to winning is simply to do what he does. Punch Sonnen's head off, sprawl on takedowns. Basically fight Sonnen similar to how he fought Monson, just with less kicks. If he does get taken down, armbar from guard. If he ends up on top in guard, GnP, Sonnen will give up quick.

Will be pretty hilarious to see Chael beat Fedor.

That is what everyone on sherdog was saying about Mir. That didn't work out to well for them. Of course it only works one way. If someone beats Fedor it's hilarious and Fedor sucks. If Fedor wins, whomever he beat sucks and was never any good. We've been hearing this same old nonsense and double standard for well over a decade now.

go go go, Fedor's not getting any younger!

Tito easily handled Sonnen just last year, it shouldn't be much of an issue for Fedor, or in fact anyone that actually trains (unlike out of shape Rampage and Wand rolling out of the coach for a last paycheck).

Yeah, dad bod Wand who hadn't fought in over 4 years rocked Sonnen multiple times from what I remember.

The LORD will return to New York.

It's a tournament. You get who you get. The only people who will call Sonnen a MW are idiots who want to create a false narrative. You aren't going to win people like that over anyway because they only care about their agenda. Sonnen is currently a HW, is in the HW tournament, and beat a very big HW in his last fight.

While I get what you are saying, I wouldn't call beating a fat Rampage Jackson, beating a very big HW. I know it's supposed to be a heavyweight tournament but half the bracket are just bloated LHW

My money is on Mitrione winning the whole thing by the way.

Emelianenko vs Sonnen
No matter how many times I see it, it still looks ridiculous.
It's such a lose-lose situation for Emelianenko, if he beats Sonnen, well ofcourse he beat Sonnen, one of the greatest heavyweights of alltime vs a Middleweight. It's not exactly a career defining victory. But if he loses to Sonnen? It's gonna be real hard to keep talking about Fedor as one of the greatest of all time and more ammo for the "can-crusher" crowd
I think there is plenty of ammo already. Fabio Mambojambo raped Fedor already, a loss to Sonnen wouldn't be as bad.

That is what everyone on sherdog was saying about Mir. That didn't work out to well for them. Of course it only works one way. If someone beats Fedor it's hilarious and Fedor sucks. If Fedor wins, whomever he beat sucks and was never any good. We've been hearing this same old nonsense and double standard for well over a decade now.
In the case of Mir, it was more people saying Fedor losing wouldn't mean anything, and then going crazy with GOAT talk once he won. At least that's how I remember it. The dynamic changes every fedor fight though.

Last edited:
Back