Fedor - Dana hated me... lol

Who, in Fedor's prime, that was fighting in the UFC at the time do you feel could have beat him?
Sylvia? Arlovski? Mir? Randy?
When did Fedor leave his prime? I take it it stopped as soon as he lost? Or when he struggled against Rogers? Or was it when he was almost KTFO by Fujita, and controlled on the ground by Mark fucking Hunt who used him as a grappling dummy?

Also, considering that Fedor's Strikeforce record was 1-3, and this was around the same time when he was deciding whether or not to join the UFC, I think it is very likely that he would face similar fate as Crocop.

it would have looked like the crocop situation, huge disappointment within a fight or two.

in a way the fanboys are probably happier the way it went down, because they can still say "what if".

Damn right man. If Fedor had come to the UFC in his prime he would have got beaten by guys like Arlovski, Sylvia, Buentello, and Cabbage. Good thing he stayed in Pride.

I take it you are assuming that Fedor was out of his prime when he got crushed by the second team in strikeforce, including by a former middleweight? Well isn't that convenient.

Obviously... The guy is a sambo champ and barely used it in any of those fights. He used to gameplan and use his grappling and from the Sylvia fight onward he only used his standup which was solid but compared to his sambo... The guy was the best In the world for years at it. His decline was obvious vs Rogers. And second team?? Bigfoot just lost a title fight, Werdum is the next contender and Hendo is one of the goats. He was at his best 03-06, not hard to see that. And how are matt Hughes, Mir, cro cop, Liddell, penn, arlovski etc. fare/faring at the tail end of their careers? Thought so

Fedor Emelianenko Blood and more Blood in the name of who? :icon_lol: j/k Don't tell me you owe him $175,000 like Ken oh man Dana would be loaded with all the guys that owe him.

When did Fedor leave his prime? I take it it stopped as soon as he lost? Or when he struggled against Rogers? Or was it when he was almost KTFO by Fujita, and controlled on the ground by Mark fucking Hunt who used him as a grappling dummy?

Also, considering that Fedor's Strikeforce record was 1-3, and this was around the same time when he was deciding whether or not to join the UFC, I think it is very likely that he would face similar fate as Crocop.

In 09, not hard to see it. And wow he got punched hard in a fight and ended up destroying a guy/ got layed on by a guy weighing 290 got out of 2 sub attempts than won. Cool argument

this has been done over and over why cant ppl just realize that the truth lies somewher in the middle

I think you have to look at these fights separately. After all, Fedor was past his prime when he came to Strikeforce, but he was still good, so that's not the main reason.

1) He thumped Werdum, then got aggressive, and got caught by a fantastic BJJ blackbelt. It could happen to anyone, champions JDS and Cain included, who gets too aggressive against a submission artist of Werdum's caliber.

2) Bigfoot was the one of these three who I will say was definitely a bad matchup for Fedor. Fedor is basically a light heavyweight in frame who was going against a guy who was 70 pounds heavier on fight night. Bigfoot is skilled enough to where he could use that size. That being said, I firmly believe Fedor would have won that fight had he been allowed to come out for Round 3.

3) Fedor hit Hendo HARD. I think Hendo said it was the hardest he'd been hit. Fedor had him in trouble, then was the recipient of a combination of over-aggressiveness (again) and a very unfortunate stoppage.

I would ask this: if Fedor fought any of these guys again, would he be the underdog? I think he would be against Bigfoot, and that's it.

It was a bad run. Fedor was too aggressive, but let's not act like these were one-sided beatdowns. There were two fights (Werdum and Hendo) against elite fighters who Fedor had in serious trouble, and there was one against a physical freak (Bigfoot) who was a bad matchup, and whom Fedor probably would have beaten in Round 3.

The biggest mistake the casual fan makes is believing that the win/loss result is dispositive of the question of who is the more talented fighter. Especially at HW, any top 10 HW could beat any other top 10 HW on any given day. So records lie, and while they're about talent and skill, they're also about odds and chance and luck. (I mean, just a year ago people were saying JDS was the HW GOAT, and now they're saying Cain is the HW GOAT, and three years ago they were saying Brock could be the HW GOAT. That's the nature of heavyweight.)

Long answer: Fedor lost some competitive and entertaining fights against some very good / elite fighters, and that can happen, especially if you go in with a bad gameplan, are over-aggressive, or have a poor matchup.

lol what about when JDS thumped Verdum?

Imaginary promotion that didn't put on shows? Lol wat, M-1 puts on shows regularly, and practically owns the Russian market. They've introduced numerous Russian and North Caucasian prospects into MMA.

As for promotions, Mayweather Promotions, Canelo Promotions, all these promotions are just one guy. Fedor is a promotion in himself. Organizations like HBO and Showtime pay millions to co-promote with fighters on that level. And that's what they did with Fedor, UFC couldn't deliver. They believe in monopoly business practices, and co-promotion just never was an option. Even today they refuse to hold an event in NY (instead still perpetuating the belief that MMA is banned here), because it requires sanctioning under a third-party like the WKA, PKA, ISKA, etc.

I take it you are assuming that Fedor was out of his prime when he got crushed by the second team in strikeforce, including by a former middleweight? Well isn't that convenient.
You do know that "second team" he was beat by includes the guy who is a favorite to face the JDS/Cain winner (Werdum) and someone who challenged for the UFC HW title recently (Big Foot).
Yeah real scrubs.

And that "middleweight" had fought most of his career at LHW but also holds multiple wins in the HW division including a win over Big Nog.

Oh no, poor dana defenders coming to his rescue after finding out dana's crappy attitude and treatment of fighters is why Fedor didn't sign with the ufc. It's nothing new, Fedor said years ago that the ufc doesn't treat it's fighters like people and that dana would regret not having him in the ufc, which dana recently said was his biggest regret.

In 09, not hard to see it. And wow he got punched hard in a fight and ended up destroying a guy/ got layed on by a guy weighing 290 got out of 2 sub attempts than won. Cool argument
Mark Hunt was a kickboxer with almost no ground game. He got tapped as soon as he hit the ground against Josh Barnett, Alistair Overeem, Sean McCorkle and Gegard Mousasi (a LHW).

Are you telling me that you were impressed with Prime Fedor needing over 5 minutes to sloppily (by exposing his back) escape Hunt's sidemount/top control, after being forced to actively defend submission attempts by a kickboxer who is clueless on the ground?

It's not cut and dried with Fedor as to when his "prime" ended. It's not like Chuck who fell off quickly, more like Hughes or Randy who had a less noticeable decline.

As far as entering the UFC, I was speaking during his Pride run. He would have dominated the UFC had he gone there instead of Pride? Hell yes.
Would he have continued to dominate if he had gone to the UFC right after Pride folded instead of taking a few freakshow fights and then the Affliction ones? Absolutely.

IMO Fedor started to slide when he just started headhunting around the time of the AA fight, it was just less noticeable than a guy like Chuck who's chin shattered and couldn't recover.

Mark Hunt was a kickboxer with almost no ground game. He got tapped as soon as he hit the ground against Josh Barnett, Alistair Overeem, Sean McCorkle and Gegard Mousasi (a LHW).

Are you telling me that you were impressed with Prime Fedor needing over 5 minutes to sloppily (by exposing his back) escape Hunt's sidemount/top control, after being forced to actively defend submission attempts by a kickboxer who is clueless on the ground?

I think looking back that you could see that fedor was sliding out of his prime already here

But why are yo arguing like this means anything? Half the reason why fedor looked bad was because he obviously wasn't concerned about hunts ground game, not one iota
Yeah he looked bad for underestimating it, but he remained calm powered through and then won in the first round

It's not cut and dried with Fedor as to when his "prime" ended. It's not like Chuck who fell off quickly, more like Hughes or Randy who had a less noticeable decline.

As far as entering the UFC, I was speaking during his Pride run. He would have dominated the UFC had he gone there instead of Pride? Hell yes.
Would he have continued to dominate if he had gone to the UFC right after Pride folded instead of taking a few freakshow fights and then the Affliction ones? Absolutely.

IMO Fedor started to slide when he just started headhunting around the time of the AA fight, it was just less noticeable than a guy like Chuck who's chin shattered and couldn't recover.

Outside of a few Brazilians, UFC barely even had any international fighters back then. Its Japan (RINGS) that went to Russia discovering the likes of Fedor. Otherwise there would be no Fedor. If it wasn't for Japanese orgs like RINGS, Shooto, K-1, and Pancrase who had an obsession of bringing talent from across the world, we would not be seeing the diversity of MMA we have today. UFC only went full-international after they acquired PRIDE, before that it was overwhelmingly American with a Brazilian minority, and very few talent outside that circle.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/new...ned-with-the-UFC-because-Dana-White-hated-me/

You didn't sign because the UFC would not accept a cross promotion! You would not let go of your imaginary promotion that didn't put on shows. You were financially vested in the promotion and you thought you could force people to accept the cross promotion because you were widely viewed as the best HW fighter in the world. Truth is, you have rested for a few years and are at the same age as some of the best in the sport. Come sign now, without what-ever-it's-name-was promotion and prove something. Cain can't wait to welcome you to the UFC:icon_lol:

lmao so much hate.

Fedor armbarred Hunt almost immediately but gave him too much time to tap and he escaped the hold. After this fight Fedor started cranking locked in subs viciously so opponents wouldn't have time to look for escapes, he learnt from his mistake.

It's a real shame Fedor never got to prove himself in the UFC. While the blame can be placed on his management he had to know that Dana would never accept that cross promotion stuff.

Because Fedor doesn't have to prove shit. He went basically undefeated for a decade. This thread is so full of uneducated noobs who don't know shit.

UFC was in the same position as M1 when it was still a little "underground" company. They just changed positions and Dana was playing hardball because he had leverage now.

BESIDES.....all those talk about "huge amounts of money" or "he got a contract like nobody before". Did anybody see that contract? Basically all of those who are saying that, can't prove anything.

Fedor is the complete opposite of Mr.White. No wonder he didn't want to fight for the UFC after all the shit Dana threw at him.

Back