International Federal attorneys: can't find the parents of 545 migrant children separated by Trump administration

Lol liberal tax dollars are already taking care of welfare queen red states like west Virginia.

Is that why they are asking for a handout in the stimulus deal? I mean look at the communist eh I mean democratic utopia of California. 140 plus billion dollar budget isnt enough for their communist eh I mean democratic projects.

My point was, what does the past have to do with now. Here and now. We take in one million immigrants a year. Spare me your sob stories. WTF does coming across anglo even mean?

The past, the present, the future. They're all connected. Just because your family came and took their piece of the pie you look down on others wanting to do the same. "Don't come here unless you're rich" is the part that bothers me. Over 20,000 Irish immigrants died on the voyage from Eire to North America on the coffin ships. Starving children we're pelted with rocks as they stepped onto the docks by Americans.

The fact you don't know what I mean by Anglo does speak volumes though. Hell at least the US wasn't actively assisting the genocide of the Irish like they contributed to mass murder, terrorism, and genocide that the current flock of refugees are fleeing from.

You don't know what I mean when you sound like an Anglo? Bless your heart, you don't know much about your own people do you?

The past, the present, the future. They're all connected. Just because your family came and took their piece of the pie you look down on others wanting to do the same. "Don't come here unless you're rich" is the part that bothers me. Over 20,000 Irish immigrants died on the voyage from Eire to North America on the coffin ships. Starving children we're pelted with rocks as they stepped onto the docks by Americans.

The fact you don't know what I mean by Anglo does speak volumes though. Hell at least the US wasn't actively assisting the genocide of the Irish like they contributed to mass murder, terrorism, and genocide that the current flock of refugees are fleeing from.

You don't know what I mean when you sound like an Anglo? Bless your heart, you don't know much about your own people do you?

Yawn. How many immigrants have you personally fed, clothed and housed? Ill wait. Its easy for you to virtue signal with other people's money.

Yawn. How many immigrants have you personally fed, clothed and housed? Ill wait. Its easy for you to virtue signal with other people's money.
I'll virtue signal with my tax dollars and by voting in legislators who have a pro immigration stance and don't think separating families to punish people fleeing American induced genocide is a good thing. Have you seen the population rates of Texas lately? Mercy! I wonder what's going to happen when Mexico is once again majority Latino? You may be a disgusting example of the American soup taker but just like in Northern Ireland plan against the filthy Loyalists. Dem population rates!

And while I may not have let an undocumented immigrant live with me ( a few crashed on my couch over the years) I have helped plenty get jobs and if you have the know how it's really easy to help an undocumented worker get in contact with someone to help get a fake social security card, and always have an immigration law activist on deck to give employees of the culinary industry.

Don't worry though, undocumented workers pay billions into social security without being able to use it. You should honestly be grateful.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...y-billions-social-security-and-receive-no/amp

I'll virtue signal with my tax dollars and by voting in legislators who have a pro immigration stance and don't think separating families to punish people fleeing American induced genocide is a good thing. Have you seen the population rates of Texas lately? Mercy! I wonder what's going to happen when Mexico is once again majority Latino? You may be a disgusting example of the American soup taker but just like in Northern Ireland plan against the filthy Loyalists. Dem population rates!

And while I may not have let an undocumented immigrant live with me ( a few crashed on my couch over the years) I have helped plenty get jobs and if you have the know how it's really easy to help an undocumented worker get in contact with someone to help get a fake social security card, and always have an immigration law activist on deck to give employees of the culinary industry.

Don't worry though, undocumented workers pay billions into social security without being able to use it. You should honestly be grateful.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...y-billions-social-security-and-receive-no/amp

Thats what I thought, nothing.

Thats what I thought, nothing.
I've given over a hundred undocumented workers jobs lmao. It's not hard. Hell maybe I've helped some use your grandparents identity to get the jobs too.

At least they would have done something good with their lives if they ended up being a "borrowed" SSN to get a job for a hard-working migrant worker. Like I said though, once Texas goes Latino it's over lol. Keep hiring them, keep voting in politicians that want them, donate to groups that represent undocumented workers.

Habla espanol amigo?

I mean when you’re using someone else’s social security number...

Can't imagine being a parent who through their actions, obviously desperate actions, are separated from their children and they have no means to reunite. They must feel so much guilt and terror...

Couldn't these parents say hey this is me, where are my nino's and ninyets? Please government, I made a mistake, reunite me with my progeny...

I've given over a hundred undocumented workers jobs lmao. It's not hard. Hell maybe I've helped some use your grandparents identity to get the jobs too.

At least they would have done something good with their lives if they ended up being a "borrowed" SSN to get a job for a hard-working migrant worker. Like I said though, once Texas goes Latino it's over lol. Keep hiring them, keep voting in politicians that want them, donate to groups that represent undocumented workers.

Habla espanol amigo?
<{ohyeah}>

Can't imagine being a parent who through their actions, obviously desperate actions, are separated from their children and they have no means to reunite. They must feel so much guilt and terror...

Couldn't these parents say hey this is me, where are my nino's and ninyets? Please government, I made a mistake, reunite me with my progeny...

I presume its a choice between being reunited and knowing your children now have entry to America.

WASHINGTON — Lawyers appointed by a federal judge to identify migrant families who were separated by the Trump administration say they have yet to track down the parents of 545 children, and that approximately two-thirds of those parents were deported to Central America without their children, according to a filing from the ACLU on Tuesday.

The Trump administration instituted a "zero tolerance" policy in 2018 that separated migrant children and parents at the southern U.S. border. The administration later confirmed that it had actually begun separating families in 2017 along some portions of the border under a pilot program. The ACLU and other pro-bono law firms were tasked with finding the members of families separated during that pilot program.

Unlike the 2,800 families separated under zero tolerance in 2018, most of whom remained in custody when zero tolerance was ended by executive order, many of the more than 1,000 parents separated from their children under the pilot program had already been deported before a federal judge in California ordered they be found.

“It is critical to find out as much as possible about who was responsible for this horrific practice while not losing sight of the fact that hundreds of families have still not been found and remain separated," said Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU Immigrants' Rights Project. "There is so much more work to be done to find these families."

"People ask when we will find all of these families and, sadly, I can’t give an answer. I just don’t know. But we will not stop looking until we have found every one of the families, no matter how long it takes. The tragic reality is that hundreds of parents were deported to Central America without their children, who remain here with foster families or distant relatives.”

The ACLU and other organizations that are part of a court-appointed "steering committee" learned that more than 1,000 families were separated in 2017 based on data provided by the Department of Homeland Security. Of those, it has been able to contact the parents of more than 550 children and believes about 25 of them may have a chance of being able to come back to the U.S. for reunification.

Gelernt said some of the families contacted have elected to keep their children in the U.S. with a family member or sponsor "due to fear of what will happen to their child if they return" to their home countries.

The group Justice in Motion is physically searching for the separated parents in Mexico and Central America. “While we have already located many deported parents, there are hundreds more who we are still trying to reach,” said the group in a statement. “It’s an arduous and time-consuming process on a good day. During the pandemic, our team of human rights defenders is taking special measures to protect their own security and safety, as well as that of the parents and their communities.”

A separate court order directed that the Trump administration reunite families separated under zero tolerance in 2018.

DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...XYQhlcpo0dLpYlo6efibVlhMH3hqLsPr5jZfjsubBhK4g

That's what happens when you make poor life decisions.

So what does the US government do with those children whose parents cannot be found? Send them to another country on their own? How do you send a 5 year old to another country exactly?

This is such a major fuck up by US government - huge incompetence shown when it comes to handling immigrants on all levels.

And as it turns out, the Trump admin did an abominable job tracking them. But you have to actually track these people if you separate them.
https://www.cato.org/blog/officials-misled-congress-ignore-asylum-law-set-family-separations
Thanks for the article link. I did notice that it kept referring to numbers of asylum seekers processed in the past as the metric for capacity. If the system was over stressed, and doing an inadequate job, as demonstrated by the 11% increase in manning that was approved by some federal budget committee, why would those numbers but touted as the standard for capacity? Related to this is the term "processed". What does that mean and did it change? it seems likely that policies changed and therefore what constitutes "processed" is not the same as before changes were made. I'm not familiar with that particular bureaucracy, but I am familiar with bureaucracy. A seemingly simple thing to an outsider can change the workload on those implementing it exponentially.

As heartbreaking as a choice it must be, I wonder if some of these kids were left behind intentionally by parents who hoped the kids would get a better life in the US when the parents were going to deported to an unsafe place.
As some mentioned later in the thread, this seems likely. 485 were contacted and chose not to retrieve their children. OR

How many of those cases are kids coming with someone who wasn't part of their family at all, or a trafficking victim in general?
I wish this didn't happen, but it is a real problem. https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/human-trafficking
They really needed a better system or log to keep track of these families. Maybe an Excel spreadsheet?
This stuck out to me from the beginning as well. Wouldn't the legitimate children of illegal immigrants innocent of other crimes be deported with them, as a family unit? To use the over used comparison, if I was arrested for jay walking (my only crime), wouldn't they return my child to me immediately? I have no way of knowing the numbers that fit this category, but I refuse to believe outright evil intent is the reason here.
Before anyone makes any judgements it's probably best to step back and realize maybe this situation is a lot more complicated and harder to manage then we can possibly understand. Not only did the Obama administration not find these children's parents they placed them with human traffickers. This is not me trying to say "but Obama" this is me trying to show that maybe this shit is really fucking difficult to manage and were all giving our opinions on something we don't fully understand.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-obama-administration-children-human-traffickers/
Everything I said was to say this. It isn't as simple as it seems and like everything in life, there is a sliding scale to apply to each circumstance. I believe U.S. policy, and those that enforce it, is trying to protect our borders AND fairly deal with those needing help. But it is naive, or disingenuous, to believe that people on either side are all evil or all good.
Likely because it wasn't their parents who brought them here.
Yep.

I presume its a choice between being reunited and knowing your children now have entry to America.
Choosing to not reveal ones identity for fear of ones children being reunited and in turn removed from the country they illegally entered? How can a parent choose that instead of raising their children? That's such a shit move in my opinion...

So the story reads, children separated and parent can not be found... it's more like parents abandon 500 children then, right? ...

US Border Patrol / INS where never meant to play social worker to tens of thousands of migrant families demanding refugee status because their countries are not shit-holes.

Choosing to not reveal ones identity for fear of ones children being reunited and in turn removed from the country they illegally entered? How can a parent choose that instead of raising their children? That's such a shit move in my opinion...

So the story reads, children separated and parent can not be found... it's more like parents abandon 500 children then, right? ...
Thats exactly it. They know where the kids are and no one is petitioning our government to get them back. They brought their kids here as tickets to get in and abandoned them when they stopped being useful.

My presumption is these kids can now stay in America (I've asked for confirmation but no one answers). Can you see this as a potential positive that could be desired for those kids?

You just compared jaywalking to illegal immigration.

Then you compared someone being separated from their parents to being beheaded.

I know youre better than this.

Jaywalking is a criminal offense crossing the border illegally is not.

Back