Feb.20th Adrien Broner vs Jovanie Santiago & Wallin vs Breazeale PBC Showtime

Adrien Broner has finally settled on an opponent for his long-anticipated return.

The former four-division title-holder will oppose Puerto Rico’s Jovanie Santiago on February 20, multiple sources have informed BoxingScene.com. The bout – which will be contested at or near the junior welterweight limit of 140 pounds – will headline a “Showtime Championship Boxing” tripleheader from Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.

Santiago (14-0-1, 10 KOs) will take a steep step up in class when he boxes Broner.

The 31-year-old Santiago scored a first-round knockout against previously unbeaten Peruvian southpaw Juan Zegarra (16-1, 10 KOs) in his most recent fight, December 20 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Santiago has fought four times in the Dominican Republic, but he’ll make his debut in the contiguous United States.

While this will be a quick turnaround, Santiago has generally been inactive through 14 years in the pro ranks, including a six-year gap early in his career. He is 12-0 since returning to the ring for good in 2014, though his most notable win to date came in April 2017, when he defeated former 140-pound titlist DeMarcus Corley by 10-round unanimous decision.

Still, he was deemed acceptable enough by all parties involved to land this high-profile assignment. Santiago replaced Mexico’s Pedro Campa (31-1-1, 21 KOs), who was forced to withdraw after testing positive for COVID-19.

The Dominican Republic’s Michel Rivera (19-0, 12 KOs) also was seriously considered. The teams couldn’t reach an agreement, however, due to a requested stipulation for penalties in the event either fighter missed weight.

Argentina’s Juan Jose Velasco (22-2, 14 KOs) was considered as Campa’s replacement as well. Sources have informed BoxingScene.com that Velasco has been secured as the standby opponent for the main event.

I can't say that I'm very excited about the choice of opponent for Broner. It'll likely wind up being a routine ten-round decision win for Broner.

But I am intrigued by the Wallin-Breazeale fight. We should see some action for several rounds as Breazeale usually makes for exciting fights & Wallin seems to have a sturdy enough chin to avoid getting taken out early by Breazeale's power. I doubt whether Wallin has enough power to get Breazeale out of there either.

Good ole Broner the herpes of boxing. Time for another flare up.

Back