Featherweight Tournament

Joseph_McBride

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Assuming Max beats Frankie, here's what a UFC version of Bellator's 16-man Featherweight tourament could look like. All they would have to do take out Cub & give Kron a more relevant opponent for OCT 12th. The 8 first-round fights would take place from SEP-DEC. 2nd round matchups could be determined by matchmakers or a random draw, but if the belt is on the line I don't feel a random draw would be best practice.

Max Holloway vs Alex Volkanovski

Zabit Magomedshripov vs Yair Rodriguez

Jose Aldo vs Josh Emmett

Korean Zombie vs Brian Ortega

Arnold Allen vs Ryan Hall

Jeremy Stephens vs Calvin Kattar

Frankie Edgar vs Shane Burgos

Andre Fili vs Kron Gracie

How amazing would this be?

Why have the better fighters fight each other giving less ranked opponents the chance to have an easier path. Assuming I have understood your tourny.

Just like in Bellator, having the champ in the tournament is dumb.

Just like in Bellator, having the champ in the tournament is dumb.
So have the champ sit out for a year & wait on the winner? Or don't put top contenders in the tournament either so the champ has opponents while the tourney takes place??

I just feel having Max and Alex as the first fight isn't the best because they should be fighting for the title. I would have 1vs 16, 2vs 15 and so on.
Yeah but if the belt is on the line then it's hard not to give Max the #1 contender, especially w/ him already getting the Edgar tune-up next week.

Assuming Max beats Frankie, here's what a UFC version of Bellator's 16-man Featherweight tourament could look like. All they would have to do take out Cub & give Kron a more relevant opponent for OCT 12th. The 8 first-round fights would take place from SEP-DEC. 2nd round matchups could be determined by matchmakers or a random draw, but if the belt is on the line I don't feel a random draw would be best practice.

Max Holloway vs Alex Volkanovski

Zabit Magomedshripov vs Yair Rodriguez

Jose Aldo vs Josh Emmett

Korean Zombie vs Brian Ortega

Arnold Allen vs Ryan Hall

Jeremy Stephens vs Calvin Kattar

Frankie Edgar vs Shane Burgos

Andre Fili vs Kron Gracie

How amazing would this be?

I don't want to assume that Max beats frankie, but I'll play because this is my favorite division and I like matching these guys up.

Max vs. Volkanovski
Frankie vs. Emmet
Ortega vs. KZ
Aldo vs. Zabit
Stephens vs. Kattar
Allen vs. Burgos
Moicano vs. Hall

I'm not sure what to do with Yair.

Back