Featherweight Firefights

FeloniousMonk

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I missed the fight pass prelims on both cards and actually missed a few other fights on the Germany card. From what I saw, the best fights definitely were from the 145ers

Mark Eddiva vs Kevin Souza

These two dudes initially looked incredibly mismatched but Eddiva impressed me. He obviously did his homework and saw that Souza is heavy on his front leg and decided to chop down some trees. Barely attempted any headkicks (besides a sick switch side kick to the face), and settled for obliterating Souza's front leg and body to minimize his movement and power. Which worked perfectly. But the output gassed both fighters in the second and Eddiva just couldn't keep his hands up. He showed great heart by not falling, though. Obviously a fighter who wanted to hold on to his unbeaten record at any cost. Souza looked explosive and did incredible damage, but I would like to see him pace himself better and ad more punches and angles to his arsenal. I was surprised he didn't throw any uppercuts when he had Eddiva hurt against the cage. Especially for a pro boxer.

Souza vs Alex White/Jim Alers?
Eddiva vs Brandao?

Robbie Peralta vs Rony Jason

I honestly thought this was going to win fight of the night over Souza & Eddiva (glad it didn't in retrospect, Rony & Robbie have been in the UFC a while and it gives these new guys a chance to shine) It's like these dudes didn't even practice defense. HOLY SHIT. The thing I was most impressed with... is Peralta SURVIVED the ground game of Jason, and even more so- reversed him during a guard pass! It was perfectly timed and looked beautiful! Jason looked on point with his combos, especially the ones that he worked off his left hook. He's correcting his mistake in placement that he suffered his Stephens KO from. He's tightened up his game and looks like he's finding his groove in the cage. Peralta impresses me so much, especially after the war with Corassani in which I learned, fool actually holds a full time job! He has such a dope nickname, too. I can only imagine how polished this dude might look if he manages to quit his job and train full time. Dude's a hard worker for sure.

Jason vs Hettes/Corassani?
Peralta vs Halloway?

Unfortunately, I missed the Backstrom & Stoneface fight.
As well as the Blanco & Ogle fight but heard both were great.

Featherweight is creeping up as the most stacked division behind
170 & 155

What do you guys think about these fights/fighters & their futures at 145?
& Any insight on the fights I missed? I heard Blanco showed flashes of his
old Max Murderer shit

Peralta/Holloway would be a very fun matchup. Good call, TS.

Peralta/Holloway would be a very fun matchup. Good call, TS.

Yeah! Peralta's stand up last night seemed very stiff and instinctual. He'd need to bring his A game if he wants to stand with Halloway. The thing I like most about it is that it would show whose ready for a top ten fight. They've both been putting in MAD work at '45! I'd hate to see either fall back down the ladder. But they're in the perfect position in the rankings with each other.

excluding HW I think FW will produce the most exciting stand up wars, think about the fighters-

Stephans
Swanson
KZ
Aldo
Mendes (recently)
Holloway
GOAT
Edgar (kinda)

excluding HW I think FW will produce the most exciting stand up wars, think about the fighters-

Stephans
Swanson
KZ
Aldo
Mendes (recently)
Holloway
GOAT
Edgar (kinda)

You might be right- as far as pure striking goes... 145 may be the most talented division. That's an impeccable list. Don't forget Poirer! Oliviera has decent stand up as well

Back