Fear is the most effective prevention of violence

Best way to prevent violence is compromise and telling the truth. Don’t be “my way or the high way”, don’t blatantly lie and society will stay peaceful for the most part.

Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Odd how Teddy Roosevelt's approach to foreign policy can work well on the streets too!

Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Odd how Teddy Roosevelt's approach to foreign policy can work well on the streets too!

It's kind of like my approach with chicks.

Be sweet to them, but fuck them like they owe me money.

ReaganPeaceQuote.jpg
Perfectly true.

Weakness invites aggression.

Fractals - self replication basis of nature.

This is political policy, and interpersonal/social policy - is applies small to large scale.

It’s true that violence can solve issues in extreme cases and prevent more violence occasionally, however, I don’t think it’s the most effective means. People crave to be loved and understood which takes empathy, patience, and self sacrifice. Most people done have the disposition for it so violence is used more often than not. Now that isn’t to say you are a doormat, sometimes tough love is the best means.

That force my friends is violence, the supreme authority on which all other authorities derive.

BS on empathy being the biggest deterrent to violence, there are many kinds of people that can't be reasoned with.

Respect and the belief that somebody will retaliate without limit are the biggest deterrents of violence.

How is empathy going to help you when you are in a volatile situation with people you have never met before?

Quoted for truth. I spent years working refugee camps. I defused more tense situations than I could count simply by being open and empathetic. Sometimes, I could even stop physical fights by going up to the people involved and saying "hey", because they knew and liked me. I had no training to speak of, but found that if I was just calm, people around me usually calmed down too.
And I was just a thin, blonde blue-eyed 26-year-old among dudes fleeing military conflicts in the middle east and Africa, I wasn't intimidating at all. Spent five years among former child soldiers and people throwing psychotic fits but nobody ever laid a hand on me.
People are often nicer than you think, almost everyone in the world wants to feel understood.
Kudos to you for your good work, sincerely.
But do you think that maybe the fear of removal from the refugee camps, or of a return to where they came from, might have motivated them to alter their behavior when confronted by someone who could be an authority figure (you representing the powers that operated the camps)?

I'm 6'6", strong, trained all my life for violence, spent 20yrs working as a doorman, the latter half being the go to guy if things were hairy and I could say the same. I just for whatever reason, again and again put myself in situations that worry me, on purpose.

Its only in my late 30's I started to develop a contempt for little people. Anyone my height gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Its a healthy attitude, you start not fearing the consequences of violence and you start looking for it. Then people get hurt and it's not a good look.

Dont you have like one street fight?

Bouncing and combat sports dont count

Completely different enviroment

Kudos to you for your good work, sincerely.
But do you think that maybe the fear of removal from the refugee camps, or of a return to where they came from, might have motivated them to alter their behavior when confronted by someone who could be an authority figure (you representing the powers that operated the camps)?
red cross.jpg
Well, here I am on tour with a group of refugees back in the day. The guy peering over my shoulder was a rumoured war criminal from Chechnya, but otherwise these guys were the nicest group you could meet (the younger guys tended to be more exciteable).

Possibly it played into it that I was an authority figure, but several colleagues got attacked during those years, so it can't be the entire explanation. Now I don't believe for a minute that NOTHING could ever have happened to me - I could easily have gotten in front of the wrong psychotic on the wrong day and ended up in the hospital. But I worked there for five years, so I don't think it was all luck either, especially considering there were at least a few incidents every month.

I remember freezing up and not knowing what to do the first one or two times I experienced violence in person. But then that stopped and a sort of calm would come over me when people were shouting and throwing stuff around. I just always felt like I'd be succesful in calming things down and I almost always was. Plenty of people shouted at me, but nobody ever threatened me or put their hands on me. I don't know if can really explain why that was except to say that I made people feel like I listened to them and cared why they were angry.

I don't say this from a political point of view (though it probably applies there also).

I say it from a day to day point of view, with fuck face people.

If a fuck face thinks he can fuck with you, kick your ass etc, they'll try to fuck with you and get very irate around you - potentially leading to violence.

Violence that civilized society doesn't want, that law enforcement don't want etc.

If a fuck face is afraid of you, you could insult his mother to his face and they'll still be extremely reluctant to engage violently with you.

i.e. crap rolls downhill.

Fear is the greatest prevention against that.

Based on your other threads plus this one - I have serious doubt you’ve ever been in any kind of fight in your entire life.

I'd live away from clusters of fuck faces and chillax. Always gonna be one along the way somewhere but you can pick your spots.
Seriously, man. I ain't saying run from anything but usually I can make decisions to keep myself out of repeatedly bad situations without affecting the quality of my life, except improve it.
Life's too short, unless you like that kind of thing then keep posting about your encounters, please.
I'll live vicariously through you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your other threads plus this one - I have serious doubt you’ve ever been in any kind of fight in your entire life.

Fights.

Competitive, many, all disciplines.

Street fights, very different - never had one, never WANT to have one, but I teeter on the brink of them constantly.

In much the same way I teeter on the brink of fucking every girl I meet.

I just bring that high emotion response out of people, fighting and fucking.

Last major run in I had was with a former powerlifting champion and pro boxer, but extremely homosexual and predatory individual.

He made a sexual pass on me and I laughed in his face, his frustration went into overdrive and he was on the verge of committing aggravated sexual battery.

If we'd have fought, I would have gone for his eyes, it would have been a very ugly situation, he knew it or rather - he felt it - weighed the variables and walked.

It's weird, I'm afraid of people naturally even if I do not think they could take me. I'm pretty shy too.
I'm kind of like that too.

I will avoid a confrontation even vs someone I know I could crush physically. I don't know if it's just because I don't want the stress or what.

Back