Fear is the most effective prevention of violence

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by EatMyShorts, Jan 14, 2021.

1. EatMyShorts Purple Belt

I don't say this from a political point of view (though it probably applies there also).

I say it from a day to day point of view, with fuck face people.

If a fuck face thinks he can fuck with you, kick your ass etc, they'll try to fuck with you and get very irate around you - potentially leading to violence.

Violence that civilized society doesn't want, that law enforcement don't want etc.

If a fuck face is afraid of you, you could insult his mother to his face and they'll still be extremely reluctant to engage violently with you.

i.e. crap rolls downhill.

Fear is the greatest prevention against that.

Eiffel-sixtyFight likes this.
  2. Provocateur Red Belt

But what if it is violence that you are seeking?

A.S. Deep likes this.
  3. Adamant GOLD BELT

Well yeah, that's why countries threaten each other. Fear of attack or retaliation usually keeps things in order. Usually.

4. Hotora86 Happy New Year! (fuck 2020)

Fear leads to anger.
    Anger leads to hate.
    And hate leads to the Dark Side... and also violence.

Quite often people get violent BECAUSE they are afraid.

GODZILLA213, Tone C and Vergilius like this.
  5. Get To Da Choppa Brown Belt

A fear boner is the most effective prevention of violence. Nobody wants to fuck with a dude with a fear boner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judoka loca likes this.
  6. Richmma80 Purple Belt

That's why Iraq was mostly peaceful when Saddam was in charge

7. moreorless87 Straba

I'm guessing never leaving the basement is an even bigger prevention tool.

8. FierceRedBelt Silver Belt

It's weird, I'm afraid of people naturally even if I do not think they could take me. I'm pretty shy too.

9. Ichibanner Brown Belt

I keep a Camillus lock blade on me. I've carried a knife since I was a kid. It wasn't for self defense originally, it was because I was a Boy Scout and a knife was a gift from my Dad.

Having the knife and knowing when to take it out of my pocket and palm (unopened) in view of possible attackers has saved me from getting jumped and mugged in both Millington, TN. and Reading, PA.

I had concealed carry through Utah when I lived in Virginia. You don't have to brandish and get arrested to give the hint that your armed and not going to be a victim.

10. djacobox372 Gold Belt

Fear is just as effective in motivating violence, as it is the reverse.

Empathy is the most effective way to prevent violence.

FléauDeDieu, Alphafail and Vergilius like this.
  11. Phlog Dad Belt

You only have to look as far as the lack of global war with Europe experiencing the most peaceful period in history, since the demonstration of nuclear weapons, to know that fear really does work on every level.

EatMyShorts and FierceRedBelt like this.
  12. Phlog Dad Belt

I'm 6'6", strong, trained all my life for violence, spent 20yrs working as a doorman, the latter half being the go to guy if things were hairy and I could say the same. I just for whatever reason, again and again put myself in situations that worry me, on purpose.

Its only in my late 30's I started to develop a contempt for little people. Anyone my height gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Its a healthy attitude, you start not fearing the consequences of violence and you start looking for it. Then people get hurt and it's not a good look.

FierceRedBelt likes this.
  13. SirRealKiller SOOTHSAYER

Fear is what drove the Capitol riots. I don't think it was created by Trump as much as what the left has been doing to conservatives as far as censorship, getting people fired, threating to pass more and more gun laws....etc. That's what was inciting the fear that resulted in the Violence.

14. Vergilius Brown Belt

Quoted for truth. I spent years working refugee camps. I defused more tense situations than I could count simply by being open and empathetic. Sometimes, I could even stop physical fights by going up to the people involved and saying "hey", because they knew and liked me. I had no training to speak of, but found that if I was just calm, people around me usually calmed down too.

And I was just a thin, blonde blue-eyed 26-year-old among dudes fleeing military conflicts in the middle east and Africa, I wasn't intimidating at all. Spent five years among former child soldiers and people throwing psychotic fits but nobody ever laid a hand on me.

People are often nicer than you think, almost everyone in the world wants to feel understood.

Pullmyfinger, FléauDeDieu and Tone C like this.
  15. Tone C Gold Belt

Any chance you could share some more of your experiences in here please ? Maybe start a thread ?

Vergilius likes this.
  16. Vergilius Brown Belt

I don't think I've ever started a thread without getting either ignored or heavily flamed by my sherbros. I just don't seem to have the knack for it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    FierceRedBelt and Alphaboy like this.
  17. Alphaboy Silver Belt

Well, yea... that's obvious. However, fear only works to an extent. After a long enough time people, animals, etc. will enter "fuck it" mode, which is why tyranny has a short lifespan.

18. FierceRedBelt Silver Belt

I'm sorry you have contempt for us manlet humans.

I think it's natural to be risk avoidant in the primitive sense. You may have been the baddest dude in all the local tribes but a cut or broken bone could easily be fatal. Fighting for fun is certainly a perverted concept. Striking even more so than wrestling.

Phlog likes this.
  19. Phlog Dad Belt

Hah, it was a dark time whilst I was bouncing, too many arseholes and I got full of myself, I'm just confident now. It was only physically speaking, altercation wise, still had usual respect in other areas, just got a little skewed and full of myself. I don't know if you've noticed but I find if I'm treated a certain way after a while I start to become the role.

I'd argue fighting can just be play and play is how we prepare for the real shit so we're hardwired to do it. Agree that it's retarded to encourage the real stuff tho.

FierceRedBelt likes this.
  20. Patrick Jane 美猴王