Favorite Way to Measure Progress?

One of my classmates brought cressey's book. It looked ok but I expect more from him. It was a tiny little book with a good portion of it on foam roller and other seemingly of lesser importance things...i am still considering buying it....but i am far from impressed...

Ways to measure progress:

-sport performance
-day to day life
-ability to do things you want to do
-performance in key lifts like squat, deadlift, weighted chin/dip, clean, etc

Serious answer: This should very rightfully vary widely with your goals. I'm interested in competing in powerlifting, so obviously my main indicators are bench, dead, squat. Now, each of those lifts also may have indicators. If my floor press feels stronger, I can generally tell that my bench is also increasing, because for me there seems to be a good bit of carryover between the two.

Just another example, Joe DeFranco uses the following indicators for football players:

1RM Bench press
1RM Back Squat
BW Chins-ups for max reps
Max vertical jump

The bench tests max upper strength, the chin-ups test relative upper body strength, the squat tests lower strength, and the vertical jump tests lower body explosiveness. All of which he considers keys to increasing football performace.

Serious answer: This should very rightfully vary widely with your goals. I'm interested in competing in powerlifting, so obviously my main indicators are bench, dead, squat. Now, each of those lifts also may have indicators. If my floor press feels stronger, I can generally tell that my bench is also increasing, because for me there seems to be a good bit of carryover between the two.

Just another example, Joe DeFranco uses the following indicators for football players:

1RM Bench press
1RM Back Squat
BW Chins-ups for max reps
Max vertical jump

The bench tests max upper strength, the chin-ups test relative upper body strength, the squat tests lower strength, and the vertical jump tests lower body explosiveness. All of which he considers keys to increasing football performace.

That is what it is all about. If your "measurement of progress" and your reason for working out aren't the same, you probably need to take a second look at your goals.

ie.
fighters want to fight better
football players want to be better at football
bodybuilders want bigger muscles
squatters want to squat more
etc. etc.

Back