Favorite ridiculous early UFC fights

DustinBeaver

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Was just remembering how I first started watching UFC and thought about all the craziness that went down during those early days. My favorite shocking moment has got to be when Joe Son got his junk assaulted and how that was totally ok under those rules. Me and my buddies could not believe what we were witnessing... Please share some of your favorite high/lowlights of the early days of the UFC.

I loved Gary Goodridge's KO over Paul Herrera, still one of the most brutal Ko's I have ever seen.

Gracie/Kimo was great, first war I had ever really seen in the UFC.

Also I use to really like seeing the small guys fight the giants, i.e Hackney/Yarborough

I loved Gary Goodridge's KO over Paul Herrera, still one of the most brutal Ko's I have ever seen.

Was it the elbows from a back crucifix one? If so, it's awesome.

Funny thing is if Palhares fought back then, people would actually be incredibly happy about him breaking legs and taking them home.

I love how I live in the neighbourhood of Kamakura gym in Holland.
And the owner is Gerard Gordeau, UFC pioneer.
Just because of that his head kick is a memorable moment for me

Everytime I see fighters nowadays putting their fingers on the mat to avoid being kneed, I can see Gordeau kicking their teeth in (or out)

method=get&s=teila-tuli-gerard-gordeau-gif.gif

Dat tooth.

^ You beat me by a couple seconds. Its gotta be the first fight. Gordeau vs Tuli. The anticipation of not knowing if someone was going to die or at least get a compound fracture ( I watched Bloodsport a lot at that time), the flying tooth, the commentary afterward (I'm gonna put it under my pillow).

Any of Tank's KO wins. Especially the Matua one. And the Goodridge crucifix win, as previously mentioned.

I love how I live in the neighbourhood of Kamakura gym in Holland.
And the owner is Gerard Gordeau, UFC pioneer.
Just because of that his head kick is a memorable moment for me

Everytime I see fighters nowadays putting their fingers on the mat to avoid being kneed, I can see Gordeau kicking their teeth in (or out)

method=get&s=teila-tuli-gerard-gordeau-gif.gif

Dat tooth.

^ You beat me by a couple seconds. Its gotta be the first fight. Gordeau vs Tuli. The anticipation of not knowing if someone was going to die or at least get a compound fracture ( I watched Bloodsport a lot at that time), the flying tooth, the commentary afterward (I'm gonna put it under my pillow).

came to post this. that was so awesome, i knew this was something i would enjoy after seeing that.

the dude who fought royce w a boxing glove on only one hand was a groundbreaking moment in combat sports history.

Big Jon Hess rompin' and stompin' Andy Anderson.

Remco Pardoel vs Orlando Wiet, still think it's worse than Goodrich vs Herrara because Orlando was so small and his head was pinned to the mat will he took like 10 basically 12-6 elbows to the temple, if I recall correctly Remco actually stopped before the ref stepped in too or it would have been even worse, one of the few KO's I find hard to watch.

Any of Tank's KO wins. Especially the Matua one. And the Goodridge crucifix win, as previously mentioned.

Yup, that's the answer for me.
r8cqw6.jpg

Never seen a body spasm like that before. All I could think of was that it closely resembled how dead animals were depicted in cartoons; legs up and stiff. Shit blew my mind at the time. Without a doubt, crazy.

the dude who fought royce w a boxing glove on only one hand was a groundbreaking moment in combat sports history.

Art Jimmerson, and yeah it was hilarious, submission due to takedown, lol.

Jon Hess coming out like an angry woman with scratches, slaps and eye gouges against Andy Anderson. Looked like an angry 10 year old out there.

Royce vs Shamrock 1 was the first UFC fight I saw. Rented a VHS tape around 98-99.

WWF told me Ken was the baddest man on the planet. I disagreed.

Gracie/Kimo was great, first war I had ever really seen in the UFC.

Also I use to really like seeing the small guys fight the giants, i.e Hackney/Yarborough

Are the David Vs. Goliath fights possible anymore?

Of course for seeing Royce beating bigger guys with subs. sold me on the early
days of MMA.

Back