Favorite next move from failed clock choke

DMcKayBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know I probably just have to work on the details of finishing the sub, but I often fail to get the tap when hitting my opponent with a clock choke when he is turtled.

So what do you guys think is the next best move on my part?

Keep choking him and take his back. It's hard to defend the clock choke and hooks at the same time.

i switch to an anaconda choke, it is easy to turn onto the guy, its alittle harder to go all the way over his back and set the hooks if you are in a full blown clock choke.
i rarely get the anaconda, but it allows me time to transition to another position

what is hard about taking his back when he is turtled? You can keep the same grips and now he is in a sliding lapel choke instead of a clock.

some times if a guy turtles on my with the gi i sprawl to a sort of back N.S. hoping he'll grab my legs with his hands (hardly ever happens) if hes passive i grab his pants at the rear waist and lift up and back so hes almost in a pile driver position. the key is to oserve the reaction- almost immediately theyll base out an arm that you can lock or leave a hole open for a hook rather than be stood on their head. If not you can just pul a pe de pano and ride them like a surfboard

gusano said:
what is hard about taking his back when he is turtled? You can keep the same grips and now he is in a sliding lapel choke instead of a clock.
the guy isnt turtled all the way and you should be out in front of him with the clock choke.
that is a lot of movement to get to his back and expect him not to re act to it and let you get the hooks in

DMcKayBJJ said:
I know I probably just have to work on the details of finishing the sub, but I often fail to get the tap when hitting my opponent with a clock choke when he is turtled.

So what do you guys think is the next best move on my part?

You can keep your grip and move around to one side. Put your knee into his ribs (don't knee him), grab the outside arm and use your knee to drive and flip them over.

My favorite second option is to keep your collar grip. Let's say that you're on the guy's left side and gripping his collar with your left hand. You then put your right knee on top of the guy's back. Step over his head with your left leg and do a forward roll (flipping the guy over). He winds up trapped in a bad position and you have a lot more leverage to finish the choke. Be careful with this though, if the choke fails and you crank it anyways, it becomes a neck crank.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
My favorite second option is to keep your collar grip. Let's say that you're on the guy's left side and gripping his collar with your left hand. You then put your right knee on top of the guy's back. Step over his head with your left leg and do a forward roll (flipping the guy over). He winds up trapped in a bad position and you have a lot more leverage to finish the choke. Be careful with this though, if the choke fails and you crank it anyways, it becomes a neck crank.

i got to try that one out, when i do i will post on here how it turned out

guardpasser said:
i got to try that one out, when i do i will post on here how it turned out

Good luck. And remember not to crank it too hard or the guy's chiropractor will be thanking you.

Back