Favorite MMA Takedown Setup?

working on shooting on kicks, its kinda scary but im having some success with it :icon_chee

What is your favorite way to set up a takedown in mma? So far my favorite is just a fake jab then shoot, but no matter what I do to setup the shot I always feel a little timid to shoot because I fear a low kick or knee to the head. So how do you guys deal with that fear? I have also figured out that the tackle shot is less risky then the traditional wrestling shot because it better prevents knees and kicks to the head as well as guillotines.
Its difficult to get kneed if you shoot from close. NEVER SHOOT FROM FAR!

Machida used that a few times, it works.

Catching kicks is by far my favorite. It can negate a powerful KO tool. Front, kicks, head kicks, if they are thrown you can shoot with high sucess.

With the hands a sure fire way to expose your opponents lower body to takedowns is to wing a power shot at them, they have to cover. If they move their head instead of covering you're still shooting anyway.

Bas rutten talks about using "clothes lines" in MMA. These are actually really useful in a fight, you can throw wide and long and smash your whole arm into your opponents guard. While its unlikely to deal knockout damage, it can knock your opponent off balance, and leave you in close ready to enter the clinch or shoot.

Machida used that a few times, it works.

You tend to see this sort of thing a lot more in striking focused sports (like Muay Thai) than you do in grappling sports without strikes i've noticed; i think it has mainly to do with the more bladed and upright stance many use when striking.

Last edited:
You see this sort of thing a lot more in striking focused sports (like Muay Thai) than you do in grappling sports without strikes; i think it has mainly to do with the more bladed and upright stance many use when striking.
dont muay thai guys fight square?

This.
Alot of newer guys think shooting is farther, but in reality its really at punching range. Ankle picks are even shorter, borders on clinch range.

I've seen him fight before. Compared to boxers and tma's he's pretty square. not saying he isnt good at dumps. Maybe he is relatively more bladed compared to grapplers.

My first statement was that i noticed 'that sort of thing' (that sort of thing meaning, that sort of cross sweep with the leg behind and arm in front) a lot more in striking sports that permit grappling than in grappling sports without strikes; the posted video is one example of many of that noticing.

You tend to see this sort of thing a lot more in striking focused sports (like Muay Thai) than you do in grappling sports without strikes i've noticed; i think it has mainly to do with the more bladed and upright stance many use when striking.
Indeed, though in MT you would rather sweep or kick the leg from under your opponent (esp. while holding his leg after his kick) in a rising arc, while in Shotokan you can execute this while darting in and unbalancing the opponent with the punch threat (if he leans) or your arm, while your leg is still close to the ground.

My favorite necro threads are the ones where someone responds urgently to a 7 year old comment. But in general yes, shooting from distance is always a bad idea. Mostly because there aren't any good setups from really far away, and shooting without a good setup in modern MMA is a recipe for disaster.

A lot of people don’t realize the same concept of the “pocket” exists in wrestling as in boxing. That range that’s no super tight but not on the outside that takes experience to be comfortable in

Back