Favorite MMA Takedown Setup?

whitep0wer

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What is your favorite way to set up a takedown in mma? So far my favorite is just a fake jab then shoot, but no matter what I do to setup the shot I always feel a little timid to shoot because I fear a low kick or knee to the head. So how do you guys deal with that fear? I have also figured out that the tackle shot is less risky then the traditional wrestling shot because it better prevents knees and kicks to the head as well as guillotines.

I prefer to use the cage or ropes.

Strikes -> Clinch -> wrist control -> shoot -> low on the hips -> pick up and slam.

Ive also found it best to shoot in the middle of the cage after ive thrown some strikes, and my opponent is either counter punching, or covering up.

That way when his defense is up, or he is throwing the counter strikes, the level change is less expected, and you will have a good chance of getting him down with a blast double, or low outside single leg.

Either way, always set up a shot with strikes. You could always catch a knee or kick on a shot, but its less likely when a takedown is properly set up with strikes.

What is your favorite way to set up a takedown in mma? So far my favorite is just a fake jab then shoot, but no matter what I do to setup the shot I always feel a little timid to shoot because I fear a low kick or knee to the head. So how do you guys deal with that fear? I have also figured out that the tackle shot is less risky then the traditional wrestling shot because it better prevents knees and kicks to the head as well as guillotines.

I think any punch is a great way to set it up because you keep momentum going and they may already be off balance.

do u guys ever worry about eating a knee or low kick to the head?

do u guys ever worry about eating a knee or low kick to the head?

I would be for sure.

What's with your username? Lol I can only imagine how some people on here will/would react to it

I like Jones Bones's fake takedown into a spinning elbow xD

Just saying =P

I like waiting for them to throw a low kick and shooting a double. This puts my opponent on one leg and it makes it very difficult for them to counter with a knee or a guillotine.

I've never been in an MMA match so I'm not sure on a personal level. My favorite setup's to watch are usually from GSP. He has a beautiful instinct for faking a punch and then going in for a double leg.

I throw some punches, move to clinch, do what I need to do from there. if I just came in for a single or double out of nowhere I'd be worried about a knee...For the most part though the Jab to take down set up works. Just matters how skilled the opponent is.

Eh, i can not offer mine on MMA takedowns, but when i roll with guys in our gym (when we start from standing), i like to basically just trip up their legs while moving forward (usually easy for me with long legs at 6'3). I am quite bad at double leg takedowns.

Couple strikes - bada bing boom boom, he covers up. Wrist control then Tomoe Nage to superman mount punch.

Shooting a double is easiest when they are punching you. Also, it works best to shoot on a committed power shot like a cross or left hook - change levels, head in their chest (I usually don't drop to a knee) and finish.

Also, the absolute best time to take someone down in MMA is off a kick. If you time it properly a simple bum rush will work when the guy is on one leg.

If I am shooting off my punches I like to throw an overhand right to get their lead hand very high, then I shoot for their lead leg.

wow Brian you are incredible..choked out Wilson Reis insane man. thanks for the tips every1 keep them coming!

From 2:30 - 3:10 of this vid there's a bunch of MMA takedowns I use )& a clip of me taking down Kenflo in a grappling match ;) )

YouTube - Brian McLaughlin Highlight

BTW, it's good to put a name to the face. I've definitely seen some of your grappling and MMA matches before and enjoyed them a lot. Some grappling matches in particular have stuck out to me, and I just got to see them again. Nice!

jab,fake double leg,underhooks,slam or trip

or

wait for opponent to jab,counter single leg

Back