Favorite - Metal Gear Solid game

All this talk is making me nostalgic. I think I'll replay the whole series again soon.
Same here. "A Hind D? Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?"

"Snake! That's not Master Miller!"
"Campbell! You're too late!"
"Master Millar's body was just found in his home. He's been dead for at least three days. Mei Ling said his transmission signal was coming from inside the base'"
"So who is it?"
"Snake, you've been talking to..."

"Me, dear brother."

*Master Miller takes off his glasses and undoes his ponytail to reveal....*

"Liquid! How the..."

"You served your purpose. You may die now!"

This is, to this day, one of the biggest jaw-droppers in videogame history.

"Master Millar's body was just found in his home. He's been dead for at least three days. Mei Ling said his transmission signal was coming from inside the base'"
"So who is it?"

"Me, dear brother."

"Liquid! How the..."

Agreed!

3 for sure, MSG1 was incredible and one of my favourite PS1 games (I liked resident evil 2 more though), but MGS3 blew me away, specially Subsistence.

[Yt]T-2YuPGYabw[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

Reguardless if you had MGS2 on the top, or bottom, of your list of favorites of the series, I highly recommend this video about the subtext of the game. It presents it in a very fascinating way. Whenever I play MGS2 again, I'll be viewing it from a unique perspective what illuded me the previous dozens of times I've completed it.

Had to go with #1 after thinking it over. The gameplay, story, graphics, characters. Everything about that game raised the bar not just for stealth action games but for gaming as a whole.

Was a tough choice though and I have to admit mgs3 did have the better gameplay.

The gameplay alone for MGS4 puts it over the other games for me. You cant tell me that the gun play in the other games are anything but crap and annoying.

MGS5 is even smoother.

"So who is it?"

"Me, dear brother."

"Liquid! How the..."

The great part is the game throws hints at you. Like trying Miller on codec after taking down the hind. No answer.

i've replayed 3 the most. i just love the big boss story

The only thing about 3 I didn't care for was the camo index. It was a little too over the top for me even for a MGS game. I would have preferred as you progressed in the game and got to different areas that you could modify your camo, not just on the fly.

The gameplay alone for MGS4 puts it over the other games for me. You cant tell me that the gun play in the other games are anything but crap and annoying.

MGS5 is even smoother.

The control / camera on pt. 1 is what clearly knocked it out of the running for me. Just horrible.

[Yt]T-2YuPGYabw[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

Reguardless if you had MGS2 on the top, or bottom, of your list of favorites of the series, I highly recommend this video about the subtext of the game. It presents it in a very fascinating way. Whenever I play MGS2 again, I'll be viewing it from a unique perspective what illuded me the previous dozens of times I've completed it.

This is maybe my favourite piece of gaming journalism ever. Either that or his Dark Souls video. It definitely helps to explain wtf is happening in MGS2.

As expected, 3 and 1 tops the chart. I voted 3 myself, but I have 2 as a close second. I really like the rogues gallery in that one, and the feeling in the big shell was great. It was mystical in a way, and I bought into that digital age mumbo jumbo although it was pretentious. Speaking of pretentious I actually really enjoyed MGS4 as well. It was a rocky ride with tall peaks (Outer Haven, Psycho Mantis, stalking the resistence) and deep lows (around the end of act 2 the shooting got really tedious, and the chopper gunning in act 3 was innsufferable) but I remember having a few bears and burning through it in one night. It was enjoyable, like watching a movie with breaks for some sneak em up.

Regarding MGS1 I never played it when it was fresh and when I tried to cork it up on my widescreen LCD TV it was almost unplayable. I ended up getting the Twin Snakes version, and while the setting and story was good I found it a bit on the easy side compared to the other titles, and Snake's newly added ninja antics didn't appeal to me.

Regarding MGS1 I never played it when it was fresh and when I tried to cork it up on my widescreen LCD TV it was almost unplayable. I ended up getting the Twin Snakes version, and while the setting and story was good I found it a bit on the easy side compared to the other titles, and Snake's newly added ninja antics didn't appeal to me.

The developers of Twin Snakes dropped the ball.... big time. It's almost a completely different experience, and not in a good way.

The Matrix-like shit that Snake did in the cutscenes was horrible. Snake's a soldier, not a superhero that could defy gravity. Add to that that the voice direction was poor, they actually brought back the original voice actors to repeat their performances and without exception not a single one was as good as the original performance. Check out youtube videos of the same scenes in the different games, and you'll see I'm right.

[Yt]mFo4Dx5ZOmI[/MEDIA]
As you can hear, the voice acting is off, and in Twin Snakes they've forgotten to add in music to some of the most suspense and tension-filled moments in the cutscenes and codec conversations.

And they imported MGS2's gameplay into the MGS1 levels without properly updating the original's levels to take advantage of the gameplay advancements.

I feel sorry for anyone that's first MGS game was Twin Snakes. But I'm still hoping one day there'll be a proper remake for it using today's technology and gameplay mechanics. Kojima hinted he'd like a western developer to take another shot at MGS1 using the Fox Engine, but that was 2 years ago and nothing has been said about it since then. I'd suggest the ballsey move of using the original game's voice acting tracks, digitally enhancing them, and impliment them into the remake.

Check out one of the MGS1 youtube-movies sometime.

My first MGS game was 3 actually, so I was already hooked by the time I got to Twin Snakes.

I hear what you're saying though, although I didn't dislike Twin Snakes per say it did seem like a somewhat botched remake, as many other have pointed out. The problem is that the original game, that I own on my PS3, is borderline unplayable on a modern HD-TV. I don't have a problem with old "ugly" games, but in the original MGS the textures in the background flicker, it's like the whole scenery is moving every time you take a step. It's jarring.

I see that there's no vote option for Ground Zeroes btw. I would never have chosen it as my favorite, but m4m (minute for minute) it's a very strong MGS game in my opinion. The graphics are gorgeous, the physics stellar, the guards are active and observant on hard mode and the control is tight as hell. Regenerating health might deter some, but I don't really care that much to be honest. You could always invent some nano-machine mumbo to cover that up.

I'm replaying them right now because it has been a few years, I expect the order to change but the current ranking is 3, 4, 1, 2

My first MGS game was 3 actually, so I was already hooked by the time I got to Twin Snakes.

I hear what you're saying though, although I didn't dislike Twin Snakes per say it did seem like a somewhat botched remake, as many other have pointed out. The problem is that the original game, that I own on my PS3, is borderline unplayable on a modern HD-TV. I don't have a problem with old "ugly" games, but in the original MGS the textures in the background flicker, it's like the whole scenery is moving every time you take a step. It's jarring.

Yet another reason why I'm very hopeful for a remake. It had good graphics at the time, but by today's standards it is ugly-as-fuck, sad to say.

I missed Mei Ling's accent in Twin Snakes. Totally agreed they dropped the ball on the voice acting in that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back