• A Life Less Ordinary

• Millions

• Sunshine

• Trance

• Steve Jobs

• T2 Trainspotting

• Yesterday

Results are only viewable after voting.
None of you have seen Yesterday. So I voted for it. Fun film.

Yesterday

Reign supreme

Train Spotting
Slumdog
28 Days Later <------- voted this one

Honourable mention:

Shallow Grave

I loved 28 days and I think 28 Weeks might be one of the best horror opening scenes ever.

You guys ever seen Return of the Living Dead from the 80s?

Really fun movie, it makes my top 5 zombie movies. The zombies are runners and quite scary but it's mostly a comedy.

Directed by the guy who wrote Alien and Total Recall screenplays.

Sorry bro never watched return of the living the dead, but I assume that is part of the original franchise with that dude that used the chainsaw to kill the zombies on the 80s?? Didn’t they get its own Netflix reboot??

I always liked The Beach the most. Really memorable film
I'm not being all high and mighty because it was like 20 years ago since I watched the film and read the book but did you read the book? I remember the movie being pretty damned good in comparison.

Trainspotting for me, easily. Slumdog was brilliant though. The book was awesome.

Boyle does feel like one of the few directors who've resisted Hollywoods obsession with franchises and mega budgets whilst still making entertainment films.

Sorry bro never watched return of the living the dead, but I assume that is part of the original franchise with that dude that used the chainsaw to kill the zombies on the 80s?? Didn’t they get its own Netflix reboot??

Thats the Evil Dead with Bruce Campbell, that's also pretty good.

giphy.gif

I'm not being all high and mighty because it was like 20 years ago since I watched the film and read the book but did you read the book? I remember the movie being pretty damned good in comparison.

Trainspotting for me, easily. Slumdog was brilliant though. The book was awesome.

Nah I never did get around to reading the book but I've often heard it makes the movie look a lot worse. You may be the first I've seen saying otherwise. I should check it out sometime

Nah I never did get around to reading the book but I've often heard it makes the movie look a lot worse. You may be the first I've seen saying otherwise. I should check it out sometime
I didn't word that correctly. It was a really good movie that stood up really well to the book. Similar to American Psycho in that respect. It wasn't better, but it really put you in exactly the same place as the book.

Reactions: Zer
I didn't word that correctly. It was a really good movie that stood up really well to the book. Similar to American Psycho in that respect. It wasn't better, but it really put you in exactly the same place as the book.

Yeah I look at American Psycho as a movie that enhances the book through its really strong performances, even if overall the book is lot better. I suppose The Beach does the same for its book with the super memorable location

I went with Slumdog but was torn between that and The Beach

Trainspotting

I have been gaining more appreciation for The Beach lately though...despite this

5zK3.gif

Yeah the book does a way better explaining shit and there are times I watched the 2nd time after reading being like oh I get that now.

I bought that book years ago because I liked the movie and usually the books are better. But I couldn't get more than a few chapters in before I was so bored I just put it down and never finished it. Does it eventually pick up and get better? I might finish reading it sometime if it does.

Tie between 28 days Later and Slumdog for me. 28 Days Later really had the feel of a monumental horror film when it was released in my opinion. The way it was shot, the atmosphere of dread established right from the start of the film, the intensity of the early zombie scenes. It was something special. I thought the film would really lose steam once Eccleston and co. became the focus but not at all actually. It did that whole- society becomes nearly as bad or arguably worse than the zombie chaos- gimmick before it became a tired cliche.

Slumdog is just a great modern-day fable. I thought it had a really cool Dickensian element to it and that Dev Patel and the other actors knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:
Yesterday was great........up until the last 10~15 minutes. The ending ruined the movie IMO.

I kind of respect that

it didn’t try to explain what the hell had happened and didn’t neatly reverse it in typical fair tale fashion. It was not a great ending but it at least did something different, which I can applaud.

overall, it’s a fun movie. Not a great one but a fun one. I thought the dude who played the Mereenese noble who is going to marry Dany in Game of Thrones stole the movie as that good-natured roadie if I’m being honest.

The lead actor and Lily James were quite good. Sheeran’s cameo was solid.

The humor was uneven- sometimes really funny but a lot of quirky stuff that was hit or miss too.

I’m a big Kate McKinnon fan but feel like they gave her a heel comedic role she could have played in her sleep instead of a more nuanced character.

Last edited:
I bought that book years ago because I liked the movie and usually the books are better. But I couldn't get more than a few chapters in before I was so bored I just put it down and never finished it. Does it eventually pick up and get better? I might finish reading it sometime if it does.
Honestly it been a few years, but I remember really liking the book a lot when I didn't think I would since I usually stick to Sci-fi or biographies

I always liked The Beach the most. Really memorable film
I loved the beach as well. I do admit the movie didn’t do the last 25-30% very well compared to the book which was amazing. Really good book if you enjoyed the movie.

Reactions: Zer
Shallow Grave. Never saw 28 days. Guess i'll have to check it out at some point.

Back