Favorite Comic Book Artists

Dale Keown
516686-pitt3.jpg

and Jim lee of course. Always loved John Byrne's work.

Although I started out as a Marvel fanboy when I began reading comics as a kid, Image comics opened very shortly thereafter and became pretty much my gold standard. Pretty much anyone who worked for Image in the mid/late 90's is on my list - Jim Lee, Jae Lee, Silvestri, Texeira, McFarlane, Keown, Larsen, Liefeld.

Although I'm not a big reader of golden and silver age comics, the art of some of the early comic book pioneers like Ditko, Adams and Kirby is absolutely brilliant.

The usual suspects but silvestri was the artist i was trying to emulate back in hs. During college its all about heavy metal. Bahgawd! So many unknown talents!

Richard Corben is a goat cover artist.

Addendum to my earlier list:

Bruce Timm
Steve Rude
Mike Allred
Darwyn Cooke
Alex Toth
Chris Bachalo

I love reading those 2 top 40 worst Liefield pages every so often.

nice. that reminds me of seth fisher who probably used Moebius as an influence. it's a shame seth fisher actually died really young accidentally falling off a balcony in japan.

SethFisher_VertigoPop.jpg

Green+Lanter-+Willworld+-+p2.png

Todd McFarlane, I really enjoyed his work for Marvel. Spawn, when it debuted, was a revolutionary comic art to me when I was a kid. Loved the Spawn comics, still have the comic cards as well. Just great overall artwork.

You know who was great in the 90s, but has practically disappeared: Whilce Portacio. He had a great run on X-Men and X-Factor in the 90s.
tumblr_m4b3nwBcLy1rtbcayo1_1280.jpg

Eduardo Barreto
Jose Luis Garcia Lopez
Steve Bissette
Dave Gibbons
Bill Sienkiewicz
Steve Ditko
Jim Steranko

You know who was great in the 90s, but has practically disappeared: Whilce Portacio. He had a great run on X-Men and X-Factor in the 90s.
tumblr_m4b3nwBcLy1rtbcayo1_1280.jpg

He had a run on Stormwatch that was supposed to be about normal humans fighting against superheroes. I bought a few issues, this was probably around a decade ago. The writer was such a hack.

Currently its Andrea Sorrentino and its not even close for me.

No feet, mouths wide open, fucked up claw hands, gigantic icey cod piece, overstating the vaginal area, unrealistic feminine proportions, lines indicating flying........Just missing pouches. If you put Liefields name down instead, we'd be none the wiser.

I like the lack of Jae Lee from most people's lists , not a fan of his style.

Back