Favorite/best ground technique against HUGE opponents with Gi

blanko said:
against the big guys... gi-chokes are you r friend

100% agreed. I routinely roll with big ogres and for the most part arm bars and the triangle are not even a consideration (can you say "getting STACKED?").
But gi chokes completely get around any weight or height disadvantages.

If I find myself with one of these big boys in my guard I push them away with my legs constently to the point of complete obnoxiousness. Then when they're frustrated and leaning foward hard >>> Airplane Sweep (basically a newaza tomoe nage for the judoka here).

For passing the guard I avoid any passes that have potential arm bar or traingle chokes built in. Instead I sit straight up and back with a knee in my opponents tail bone and my fists pushing the diaphragm very hard. Then I stack straight forward and lift their hips by their own belt and slip a knee into the crotch area and sit back down. Then I squirm my knee through to half guard and work from there.

Gravitom said:
Toe holds from any position. With big guys their feet are so far from their brain it takes a second for them to react, like a brontosaurus. I never mount big guys if my knees don't touch the ground, I work knee on belly instead.

hahaaha. I am big. Sadly, its true.

Foul Beath:
Agreed..kataguruma is nearly impossible to get out of if its sunken in well. It's very effective.
Kata Guruma is a throw, what technique are you talking about?

Half Boston Crab said:

kata guruma :icon_twis
kataguruma.gif

i think he meant triangle i think theyre named pretty similar, but i suck at judo techniques in japaneese :(

yeah against big guys, anything not involving my arm strength against theirs :) so no armbars collar chokes are nice

Half Boston Crab said:

Ohhh...sorry I missread. I was thinking about KATAGATAME! Thats a very powerful hold down for anyone. kataguruma is standing technique, I was thinking/posting about Ne-waza techniques.

IMO, keep moving on the big guys. They are too strong to just hold down, they will power out. Transitions are extremely important when rolling with someone much larger or stronger then you. Try at all cost to maintain top position, transitioning from sidemount to knee on belly, back to sidemount, and if you feel comfortable, mount them (but be careful with this, as they will probably be able to buck you off of them); I usually only take the mount in hopes of getting their back. I make sure when I do take the mount it

triso said:
IMO, keep moving on the big guys. They are too strong to just hold down, they will power out. Transitions are extremely important when rolling with someone much larger or stronger then you. Try at all cost to maintain top position, transitioning from sidemount to knee on belly, back to sidemount, and if you feel comfortable, mount them (but be careful with this, as they will probably be able to buck you off of them); I usually only take the mount in hopes of getting their back. I make sure when I do take the mount it

Blab: What do you think about using katagatame specifically on large opponents as a hold down/choke? Usually transitioning is better. But wtih Katagatame you cant really transition. Your thoughts?

Bubble Boy said:
Perfect. You've obviously rolled often against bigger players.
Your mount recommendations are spot on: loose or high.
The Kashiwazaki mount can sometimes work alright against bigger guys too.

http://www.matbattle.com/images/articles/katsuhiko_kashiwazaki.jpg
I'd like to try the Kashiwazaki mount.

I see from that picture that most of the weight is off the opponent. It looks like he is posting with both his right leg, and right arm. Is his left knee down, and left arm wrapped around the head of the opponent? Or is he posting his left hand as well?

Back