Favorite/best ground technique against HUGE opponents with Gi

Foul Breath

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I often face 240lb opponents on the ground when we roll. I am about 160 lb with no fat. I often find myself submitting with side choke while he

Triangel is very effective, i also use very much omoplata and RNC. Armdrag is also good move against a big and slow guy

I deliberately position for half guard and then work to get some space before spinning into a knee bar or toe hold. Works like a charm and is very rarely expected, most big guys expect you to defend like crazy from half guard because they're used to just smothering you.

Alot of gi chokes work well especially sodeguruma and jigoku jime, also any sub from scarf-hold works well too.

Foul Breath said:
So you must be getting submitted a lot by guys like us then. :D

For whatever reasons there's a lot of big guys at the carlson gracie school, so I'm getting subbed by a lot of big guys. I'm really new.

I like to get the mount if at all possible, cradle their head and arm and let them roll themselves into a triangle. Then as they go to stand up, just hook the leg and wait for the tap. If they stack, stop the advancing leg and you'll have them in a mounted triangle.

from my back, the kimura is my favorite.

I try to stay away from my guard when rolling with big guys, I just get flattened if I do. They are usually slower, and not as flexible so use that to your advantage.

Im 210-220, but on sunday I rolled with a guy 330+ lbs, and I must say my favorite/best technique is to out speed him to his back, and rear naked choke him. Wierdest feeling ever if you have never rolled with a bigger guy, I could wrap my legs in guard. I tried to armbar him, but he kind of put his weight on me and I couldnt pivot. Once I became explosive on the bottom, I snuck out the side with half guard and took his back. I like taking the back.

I'm 165 lbs, i've rolled with a guy that was 260 lbs and the only way i could do anything was if i could get to his back. If I didn't get to his back he was able to throw me around like i was nothing.

Ahhhh for those big guys its usually everyone for me... im 5"10 160 but i love playing spider guard and seeing the look in their eyes when i sweep them... gi of course ezekiel from mount i find its harder to armbar the really strong ones i triangle alot unless they are like taller than 6 5 then they just posture up real high and its a pain but i really just like to sweep them around like im cleaning the academy with them.. hah

oh an i almost frogot.... arm drag from open guard to their back and well you know the rest

TapouTime said:
Ahhhh for those big guys its usually everyone for me... im 5"10 160 but i love playing spider guard and seeing the look in their eyes when i sweep them... gi of course ezekiel from mount i find its harder to armbar the really strong ones i triangle alot unless they are like taller than 6 5 then they just posture up real high and its a pain but i really just like to sweep them around like im cleaning the academy with them.. hah

Yo what sweeps do you have good luck with on big guys from spider? Can you describe?

I have been constantly trying to improve my guard game and have had some success with a kimura latelty. I need to improve my half guard game.

Well, since a big guy is very heavy and probably strong and the gi is an excuisitely adapted tool for decimating this size and strength advantage of your gargantuan opponent with the aid of the brilliant leverage and finesse of the masterful brazilian jiu jitsu technique that has been honed and perfected by the Gracie family for many years I'd still say OIL CHEEEECK!!!!

Toe holds from any position. With big guys their feet are so far from their brain it takes a second for them to react, like a brontosaurus. I never mount big guys if my knees don't touch the ground, I work knee on belly instead.

Soulfly said:
Arm drag, paperclip choke, kataguruma.

Agreed..kataguruma is nearly impossible to get out of if its sunken in well. It's very effective.

Back