Favorite atmosphere and setting in a horror movie

The mist. I know a lot of people don't like it but it was the first Stephen king story I ever read and immediately felt they should make a movie. A little over a decade later they adapted it perfectly imo. The fear of the unknown and giant creatures gets to me. The claustrophobia of the grocery store. Everyone descending into their cliques and the religious fanatics taking hold. All of it played realistically to me and I just enjoyed the hell out of it.
The ending was great.
Not the all happy Hollywood crap.

Ringu was a masterclass in creeping terror. You don't see much but it just has this feeling of impending dread building all the way through it.

And that wailing noise still gives me the shivers down my spine..

Another favourite of mine is Michael Mann's early curiosity The Keep. Although deeply flawed I still love this movie and the ethereal atmosphere is fantastic largely in thanks to the great Tangerine Dream soundtrack....

Alien and the Thing are classic, as is Hellraiser.

I liked the atmosphere of Constantine. Even the take on Hell was kind of interesting (if not "horrific" per se)

You can't really go wrong with a good old-fashioned haunted house though. Dark and stormy night optional.

Interesting question as I'm a huge horror fan. I really love Midian, where the monsters live in Clive Barkers Night Breed although that's more of a monster movie than a horror. Intruder was awesome. Locked in a grocery store over night getting picked off.

Carnival of Souls by Candace Hilligoss

COS_04.JPG

karnawal5.jpg

carnival-of-souls-08.jpg

8a043139e7d0a18cb618113a13aee21c.jpg

Kwaidan by Masaki Kobayashi

kwaidan.jpg

6a017d4117b2c6970c01a51191b01d970c-pi

tumblr_nz347h5ksx1rss116o1_1280.png

kwaidan.jpg

Jigoku by Nobuo Nakagawa

jigoku.jpg

Jigoku_3.jpg

jigoku.jpg

vlcsnap-000202.png

jigoku2.png

Dante's Inferno from 1911! (I'm not even joking about that date). By Francesco Bertolini and Adolfo Padovan

9-terrifying-old-movies-that-put-modern-horror-to-shame3.gif

9-terrifying-old-movies-that-put-modern-horror-to-shame4.gif

9-terrifying-old-movies-that-put-modern-horror-to-shame5.gif

9-terrifying-old-movies-that-put-modern-horror-to-shame6.gif

9-terrifying-old-movies-that-put-modern-horror-to-shame7.gif

L%2527Inferno+-+1911+-+Count+Ugolino+-+Skull+eating.png

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_l80xj8j7u11qzzxybo1_500.png

My favorite would definitely be The Thing. The Cabin from Evil Dead is also a great pick. I'd also add Night of the living dead.

NOTLD_550x238-detail-main.jpg

Zombi 2.

Set on a beautiful Island but besides the main characters it basically desolate. Very creepy knowing the dead ware walking around and there's nothing but ocean surrounding you.

Zombie+Panorama_Zombie+2.jpg

zombi2_011.jpg

Also the last shot of the zombies entering NYC is one of my favorite shots in a movie ever.

zombie+flesh+eaters+6.png

Phantasm

The mausoleum/funeral home is terrifying. The neighborhood around it peaceful yet creepy.

Phantasm-3.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-02-08-15h49m35s149.png

Demons
Imo one of if not the scariest movie setting if you really think about it. You're locked in a big dark movie theater with no way out, surrounded by vicious demons. Holy shit!

demons-1985-demons-1024x572.jpg

Theather.jpg

Event Horizon had great atmosphere and design

11.gif

EventHorizon.gif

This particular scene in Suspiria facinates me to this day

suspiria9_copy0.jpg

Eraserhead's atmosphere whenever anyone went outside was pretty terrfiying too. It seemed like Hell out there.

Event Horizon had great atmosphere and design

11.gif

EventHorizon.gif
And that's why you never travel through the warp without a gellar field.

Do you want daemons? Because that's how you get daemons.

This particular scene in Suspiria facinates me to this day

suspiria9_copy0.jpg

It was just a monster to film. They set up lenghty lines and strapped cameras to them, allowing the cameras to slide down the lines while filming just so they could get the shoots Argento wanted. It worked horribly, the cameras often falling off or smashing when they came to the lines end. So many innocent cameras lost their lives just for that scene.

Argento said that he picked such an open, public place with the ancient-looking buildings nearby because he wanted to create allusions towards Germanies Nazi past. Argento often had crazy ideas about scenes like that.

Messiah of Evil by the husband and wife team Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz. I was 100% sure this was Italian before I checked up the creators for this thread.:confused:

evil4

vlcsnap-2010-10-22-17h20m40s216.png

messiah-of-evil8.jpg

mess1.jpg

messiahofevil2.png

Jacob's Ladder is soooo disturbing. Creepiest movie ever IMO.
jacobs_ladder4.jpg

jacob-s-ladder-1992-_150445-fli_1386303417.jpg

Back