favorite Ali match?

hell wall

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What is yous guys favorite Ali fight? Mine is him vs Douglas Jones... it is one of his early one where he actually. Gets beat on and knocked down...he wins the fight but I think Jones really won....another great one is him vs jerry quarry

Ali vs. Frazier 1 for me.. because Frazier is one of my favorite fighters ever

Clay vs Liston 1.

"I just turned 22 years old, I must be the greatest!"

TS doesn't like Ali, and he wants to troll us. HAhA I caught him first.

Probably a fight from his before his big layoff, when he could really move and was in his prime.

I do like Ali.... he is a master tactian.... him vs Oscar bonavena is a sweet match as well

a lot of his fights, a lot. Chuvalo once said that the first Liston fight was his best performance, he may be right although he wasn't experienced and physically mature yet. All the sixties defenses are great to watch, no one in heavyweight history could beat him then, he fought all kinds and made them all look bad. No telling how much more he would have done in the prime years. Post-exile? He got lazy in training, and it showed. Lots and lots of his fights are hard to watch post 70. He proved his greatness but he also looked horrible in many of his fights, some of them I can't even watch. Lucien Rodriquez or whatever his name was, was an awful performance, so was the Mathis fight. he only prepared properly when he lost after Norton wherein he went on a string of good performances, after the forman fight he began fucking around in training again and taking punishment he wouldn't have had to had he trained right. Losing to Spinks also coaxed him to wring out one last decent fight even though he had nothing left really. Then, I don't have to go into the Holmes and Berbick fights. Still, with his natural ability, 75 percent of ali was enough to kayo lots of guys for the first have of the seventies. After Frazier he never kayoed a meaningful opponent or knockedown a meaningful opponent ever again. He was shot. (also, doug Jones didn't knock him down you're thinking of Sonny Banks.

No doug jones hits him clean and knocks him into ropes..he falls into them pretty good

Toss-up between Ali vs. Liston I
and Ali vs. Foreman

Ali was terrified and Liston was mean and intimidating. Liston couldn't even touch him in the fight. Then Sonny tried dirty tricks and even that didn't work. Great story for Ali, sad story for Liston.

In 1974 Foreman was Sonny Liston. I believe this fight would've resembled Ali vs. Liston had Ali been in his prime. Foreman was powerful and feared. I think everyting about this fight has been said, but it's the biggest night in boxing history IMO.
I think I had to call this my fav Ali fight since Liston never really hit Ali that way. This fight basically answered the question "What if Liston was the same height as Ali and what if Ali didn't have his footspeed?" - Sounds like hell for Ali, but he came out on top nonetheless.

Ali vs. Tyson would've been just as good.

Probably Ali-Foreman because noone gave Ali a chance. And the historical significance of it (in my mind - Ali became GOAT HW with that win). Plus the whole year leading up to the fight, the delays, Ali living in Africa for a time, getting back to his Zen. It's a fascinating documentary if anyone has seen it.

It's hilarious hearing (David Frost is it?) yelling everytime Ali got close to the ropes and Foreman came in to whail on him.

Careful Ali...
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaareefffullllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Just screaming the whole fight. People were scared shitless for him (nobody knowing WTF Ali was doing at the time).

Back