Fatwa on Salman Rushdie renewed with bounty compiled by Iranian media

The Ayatollah called for the death of the book's author along with anyone "involved in its publication".

Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of The Satanic Verses, was stabbed to death outside his office at Tsukuba University, the Italian translator Ettore Capriolo survived being stabbed at his apartment in Milan, and the novel's Norwegian publisher was shot three times in the back and left for dead outside his home in Oslo.

But the crusades, just ask Obama.

Question:
Not read Rushdie's books , so if he didn't have a fatwa would he have attained as much Western notoriety purely for his ability?

Question:
Not read Rushdie's books , so if he didn't have a fatwa would he have attained as much Western notoriety purely for his ability?

Would any writer? A country declared war in him and assisnated his publishers

I meant, absent the Fatwa, would he have become a cause celbre and be considered a gifted writer?

Rushdie's first novel, Grimus (1975), a part-science fiction tale, was generally ignored by the public and literary critics. His next novel, Midnight's Children (1981), catapulted him to literary notability. This work won the 1981 Booker Prize and, in 1993 and 2008, was awarded the Best of the Bookers as the best novel to have received the prize during its first 25 and 40 years.[15] Midnight's Children follows the life of a child, born at the stroke of midnight as India gained its independence, who is endowed with special powers and a connection to other children born at the dawn of a new and tumultuous age in the history of the Indian sub-continent and the birth of the modern nation of India. The character of Saleem Sinai has been compared to Rushdie.[16] However, the author has refuted the idea of having written any of his characters as autobiographical, stating, "People assume that because certain things in the character are drawn from your own experience, it just becomes you. In that sense, I’ve never felt that I’ve written an autobiographical character."[17]

After Midnight's Children, Rushdie wrote Shame (1983), in which he depicts the political turmoil in Pakistan, basing his characters on Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq. Shame won France's Prix du Meilleur Livre Étranger (Best Foreign Book) and was a close runner-up for the Booker Prize. Both these works of postcolonial literature are characterised by a style of magic realism and the immigrant outlook that Rushdie is very conscious of as a member of the Indian diaspora.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Rushdie#Major_literary_work

The Booker Prize and Prix du Meilleur Livre Étranger seem to be pretty impressive accomplishments that came before The Satanic Verses so I it's safe to assume he was considered a gifted writer of note before the Fatwa but he obviously wouldn't;t have been as famous without the Fatwa.

I meant, absent the Fatwa, would he have become a cause celbre and be considered a gifted writer?

Not in my opinion. Can't imagine he'd have been a hit with the ladies either.

rush-salman.bmp

Talk about holding a grudge, just let it go guys.

I always thought Fatwas like these were fu*king ridiculous...

I mean, a guy writes a book, called the Satantic Verses...it wasn't really a condemnation of Muhammad, and Rushdie gets a Fatwa and a bounty on his head.

Muslims kills Muslims in the tens of thousands...do we see many Fatwas against barbaric acts of mass murder ?

I

I always thought Fatwas like these were fu*king ridiculous...

I mean, a guy writes a book, called the Satantic Verses...it wasn't really a condemnation of Muhammad, and Rushdie gets a Fatwa and a bounty on his head.

Muslims kills Muslims in the tens of thousands...do we see many Fatwas against barbaric acts of mass murder ?

I
Not to mention that at this time its a really bad look for Iran to pull this stunt while they're supposed to be opening up to the world.

"Guys, we're not so bad but we still want to KILL SALMAN RUSHDIE!"

I remember reading somewhere that the IRGC was actually against the nuke deal so this sort of move isn't so surprising if that's true.

Not to mention that at this time its a really bad look for Iran to pull this stunt while they're supposed to be opening up to the world.

"Guys, we're not so bad but we still want to KILL SALMAN RUSHDIE!"

I remember reading somewhere that the IRGC was actually against the nuke deal so this sort of move isn't so surprising if that's true.

Ayatollah Khamenei has terminal cancer and the iranian public opinion is in favor of opening to the world, this is the Iranian version of republicans trying to sabotage progress through being retarded.

Ayatollah Khamenei has terminal cancer and the iranian public opinion is in favor of opening to the world, this is the Iranian version of republicans trying to sabotage progress through being retarded.
I thought about making that very same comparison but I didn't start another Republican vs Democrat spat here. But yes it certainly looks that way. At least our obstructionist nuts aren't putting a bounty out.

EDIT: If Khamenei is set to go who will replace him? He was chosen by Khomeini himself so of course that decision held weight and legitimacy but does Khamenei hold the same clout in Iran? I doubt it and if so who comes next?

Why I find it surprising is Khamenei was allegedly for the nuke deal but also seems to be behind the crying soldiers and this.

I thought about making that very same comparison but I didn't start another Republican vs Democrat spat here. But yes it certainly looks that way. At least our obstructionist nuts aren't putting a bounty out.

EDIT: If Khamenei is set to go who will replace him? He was chosen by Khomeini himself so of course that decision held weight and legitimacy but does Khamenei hold the same clout in Iran? I doubt it and if so who comes next?

Ayatollahs are chosen like Popes, by a group of 88 clerics.

Khamenei wasnt even elegible for the position since he wasnt a great Ayatollah, the assembly is certainly one of the most powerful organs in the iranian system, they are probably more powerful than the supreme leader position due to their religious influence.

Why I find it surprising is Khamenei was allegedly for the nuke deal but also seems to be behind the crying soldiers and this.

Khamenei is not an all powerful dictator like Saddam he was chosen by an assembly of clerics and he is still bound by religious tradition.

A better example would be like the Pope without the infalibility, individually he may be the most powerful person in Iran but overall he is weaker by the assembly of clerics.

Khomeini for example had to can Montazeri to save the revolution, and that almost led to the breakdown of the theocracy, but Khomeini was a grand ayatollah and everyone loved him.

I imagine appealing to rural anti-western conservatism/nationalism in Iran is a bit like Cruz and his machine gun bacon.
It's an election year...

Second thoughts on the Fatwa on Rushdie... I wonder if he would have copped it if he wasn't born with such a permanently smug look on his mug.

Ayatollahs are chosen like Popes, by a group of 88 clerics.

Khamenei wasnt even elegible for the position since he wasnt a great Ayatollah, the assembly is certainly one of the most powerful organs in the iranian system, they are probably more powerful than the supreme leader position due to their religious influence.
I know that in a strict, legal sense the assembly isn't accountable to the people but is it possible that they can see where the winds of change are headed and might moderate themselves and pick a slightly more moderate Supreme leader or do they give zero shits about the people and their opinions?

Back