Father shot down drone hovering over his house as his daughters sunbathed

4Gp9USK.gif

Hail!

2ia4leajpg.gif

a flying camera into someone elses property...the man did the right thing.

Something I'm reading on another forum:

A guy I've flown with has modified his to fire 22 cal. and he targets very accurately through his OSD. I would love to see someone shoot at him with a paintball gun. I have also successfully launched a model rocket sideways from mine using a pulse switch and the onboard 12 volt power supply. With a little thought I could put some form of explosive in the nose. The drone community is way out in front of the "Imma shot dat fricker down if it crosses my property line" crowd.

Surveillance could be the least of our worries.

No, they werent. Either part.

There's a real chance that in this story, the shooter is the crazy man and the drone operators were innocent victims.

But stuff like that can happen now, it will happen more often, and the cameras will get better. I do not see an actual reason why these flying cameras need to be allowed outside of one's own private property.

Hell, watch the video I embedded. You can be vertically above your own house and film your neighbour perfectly. So I'd say that this also needs to be restricted.

There's a real chance that in this story, the shooter is the crazy man and the drone operators were innocent victims.

But stuff like that can happen now, it will happen more often, and the cameras will get better. I do not see an actual reason why these flying cameras need to be allowed outside of one's own private property.

Hell, watch the video I embedded. You can be vertically above your own house and film your neighbour perfectly. So I'd say that this also needs to be restricted.

Given the way he acted, it is almost certain h is the crazy one.

And you think what someone does on their own property with their own camera needs to be restricted? Does this apply to security cameras too? They usually see at least part of someone else's property.

But it didn't. To me, this was an act of self-defense. Seriously.

Well yes, but the way I read the story, the drone operators were pissed about their property being damaged and were about to enter his premises. I would not tolerate that, either, if I had the means to prevent it.

Right, if he threatened one guy, it might look bad, but there were 4 angry guys here.

If these same people used a really long selfie stick to film across my fence and then tried to enter my premises after I destroy said cell phone, I probably would.

you know the point is that the father didn't know what the drone was filming he merely suspected...and with suspicion he went guns a blazing.

you can't do that.

Something I'm reading on another forum:

A guy I've flown with has modified his to fire 22 cal. and he targets very accurately through his OSD. I would love to see someone shoot at him with a paintball gun. I have also successfully launched a model rocket sideways from mine using a pulse switch and the onboard 12 volt power supply. With a little thought I could put some form of explosive in the nose. The drone community is way out in front of the "Imma shot dat fricker down if it crosses my property line" crowd.

Surveillance could be the least of our worries.

They need police drones to catch all the drones that are doing this.

title2-620x330.jpg

I guess we will have to keep posting this link. They were NOT in his property. He was shooting at things in public airspace.

Serious question here, where does your property end and public airspace begin?

Who will the gun nutters shoot when Google Earth tech reaches the point where anyone with an internet connection can read the date on a quarter laying on any sidewalk anywhere in the world?

I was also thinking that border police need to use jammers at the border if they do not do that anyway. I mean, consider what this drone development means for border security. If I want to smuggle drugs across the border and I have an infinite amount of drones availabe (assuming costs will go down), I simply make a huge number of 'empty' flights.

edit: it's already being done: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7870651/drone-drugs-crystal-meth-tijuana-us-mexico-border

Who will the gun nutters shoot when Google Earth tech reaches the point where anyone with an internet connection can read the date on a quarter laying on any sidewalk anywhere in the world?

Don't think that would be released to the public.

Last edited:
So basically grown men were using a drone to take photos of teenage girls sunbathing in their yard?

I find it rather suspect the drone was hovering above a 16 year old girl until she indicated she saw what it was doing and then moved on to filming the teenage girls next door.

Serious question here, where does your property end and public airspace begin?

Navigable airspace as defined by the FAA begins at 500ft. A lot of states have clearly defined borders below that, Kentucky does not. Doesnt really matter though, the video shows the drone never crossed into his property at all.

Back