Father: "Khabib was ready to fight McGregor but UFC wanted Diaz"

I think the UFC considers risk/reward.

Conor fighting Nate is relatively low risk, even at WW, but high reward. Khabib is high risk - he does have a style that would trouble Conor - but for zero reward. Khabib is not popular, fights infrequently, has missed weight, pulls out of fights....there is literally zero upside to Conor/Khabib.

Some people act as though the UFC should be giving each guy their toughest opponent style-wise every fight but that isn't how it works. The UFC is a fight promotion. Sometimes that does mean a bad style matchup is made, like when Weidman earned the right to face Anderson. Other times fighters only get 'favourable' matchups. Usually angsty anti-fans only decide a matchup is 'favourable' in retrospect, Mendes was meant to be Conor's kryptonite, Aldo had too many ways to win....

The UFC is not protecting Conor, they are protecting an investment in a situation where Conor may not have fought at all when his opponent was unfortunately forced to withdraw shortly before a fight.
Just an excellent post and really good distinctions. It really has nothing to do with Conor being afraid to fight someone, as i think some are taking it. It is simply about what is the best business decision from a risk/reward factor, like you said.

And that also includes draw as well when weighing everything. The UFC has every reason to try to ensure Conor pays out for a long time. It wouldn't make sense for them to intentionally seek the toughest short-notice fight.

I think the UFC considers risk/reward.

Conor fighting Nate is relatively low risk, even at WW, but high reward.
not a risk as far as weight classes go. nate may have fought at ww, but he's a true LW.

not a risk as far as weight classes go. nate may have fought at ww, but he's a true LW.
But that all dovetails into it - Nate probably wont beat Conor regardless of the fight being at 170, he's a lesser challenge than a name 170lb'er, but if Conor does happen to lose, *shrug* "it was at WW."

How can you be a fan of a guy that can't even make it into the cage?
He's the most overhyped fighter in the ufc right now. He's proven nothing and gets talked about like he's the next Fedor.

lol you're drunk. Nurmagomedov actually made it. 22 times. And he won 22 times.
McGregor doesn't have the smallest chance. He would lose. Bad.
Deal with it.

well they don't want Khabib to derail the hype train and go nowhere with it.[/QUO
Khabib would rape Conor literally rape him, wrestlefuck/rape whatever the hell you wanna call it he is twice the wrestler mendez is. I woud say besides jones and cormier the olympian guy whose fighitng might mouse, and a few others Khabib is the best, he is for sure the best wrestler in the lightweight division probably welterweight too.
Hell Yea! Khabib is too much for Conor, hell, he is too much for any Man and even King Kong himself ! He is a killer, a destroyer of men, an octagonal terrorist, striking fear in the hearts of men, women and children WORLDWIDE!! Khabib isn't bound to any of the laws of the land! I heard he isn't even bound by gravity! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? NO !! It's Khabib!! RUN CONOR RUUUUNNNN!!!!

Not surprised by this move from UFC......They are gonna try and keep him away from people whose bread and butter is the ground game. Mendes showed his weakness and now UFC brass gonna try its hardest to avoid such an encounter.
Only thing is, CAN'T run forever!

Khabib has a main event fight coming up. Although even if he did not no way Dana lets this happen.

We do and we don't he is from the same "russian wrestling school" In Dagestan they have some of the best teachers now. Old school Russians who like wrestling would still root for him I do, thing is most Russians are Slavic Khabib speaks Russian like I do but he also speaks Arabic and is considered more of a Russian-Arab who alot of Russians don't really consider our own. It's weird i like him tho as a fighter. But Russians as a whole would not root for him. They like Russian athletes my dad loves al capone. I was born there but came here when i was 6 so i am really More American then Russian. Still i like Khabib,

interesting. thanks for the insight.

I dont think so tim....

10979687_621138717986260_1904964206_n.jpg

Pre-Mendes: Finally, a wrestler. McGregor can't hide anymore! He's gonna get destroyed.

Post-Mendes: He didn't have enough time to prepare; full-camp Mendes wrecks McGregor.

Pre-Khabib: McGregor is fucked. Khabib gonna take him down and maul him for 5-rounds! He'll be exposed for the hype he is.

Post-Khabib: He didn't get a full-camp. McGregor is ducking full-camp grapplers! UFC is protecting him.

I don't want to see McGregor/Khabib unless they both get 6+ weeks to prepare.

For sure, I don't wanna hear more "full camp wrestler" bullshit when Conor smashes them on short notice.

Good fight, it should happen if K2 can stay healthy. I'm going to call him K2 because last time I saw him fight was 2 (!!) years ago. He deserves nothing until he shows up and fights at least one time.

Khabib is a nightmare stylistic matchup for Conor; of course Khabib would want the fight.

If the UFC booked a guy out for that long in a short notice fight people would say it is just a way for Conor to get an easy win.

Edit: Nate doesn't thrill me but okay for this. Doesn't waste a legit matchup for later. Khabib/Conor is not a match up that should be made with 10 days time.

Khabib is a nightmare stylistic matchup for Conor; of course Khabib would want the fight.
People keep saying this but I'm not sure why. Just as Conor cannot afford to grapple with Khabib, Khabib cannot afford to strike with Conor. It's that's simple. Seeing as Khabib is not exactly a finisher on the ground, I would say the odds probably favor Conor in that fight. 25 minutes to KO Khabib is a lot for Conor if you've seen Khabib strike.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/2...s-ready-to-fight-mcgregor-but-ufc-wanted-diaz

Probably cus the UFC knew that Khabib is a nightmare matchup for Conor. I think Nate is an easier fight for Conor than Aldo or Mendes. Nate is hittable as fuck and just plays right into Conor's counter punching game.
it's becuse they have a contract with fox you absolutes fools, huuuuu hes ducking11111111111 huuh the ufc protects him11111111111 no u idiots. it's about business shit

People keep saying this but I'm not sure why. Just as Conor cannot afford to grapple with Khabib, Khabib cannot afford to strike with Conor. It's that's simple. Seeing as Khabib is not exactly a finisher on the ground, I would say the odds probably favor Conor in that fight. 25 minutes to KO Khabib is a lot for Conor if you've seen Khabib strike.
Khabib has great takedowns; he doesn't have to stand with Conor

Edit: the fact that his striking sucks would actually help him; because he would focus exclusively on grappling and I doubt Conor could stop his takedowns.

Last edited:
Well im glad im not paying to see that boring ass fight. Diaz is a much more exciting choice.

Back