FAT GRIPZ, anyone use them?

I use them for curls and pullups sometimes. I've noticed a difference in my hand and forearm strength.

Thanks to the wonderful members of sherdog telling me that fat gripz are currently $29 on the US site.
With shipping to the UK it'll cost me half the price of what they're selling for over here. Now I can see myself investing in them haha.

I actually just use baseball bat wraps, obviously not as thick but you can always add more over time and work up to more thickness.

hey keith, thanks for all that info man it was greatly appreciated.

Do you use the grips when doing skull crushers or triceps pulldowns?

Edit: Or when doing lateral shoulder raises can you use them with that?

Honestly, you can pretty much use them on anything. Definitely read the instructions on how to orient the grips depending on the direction you are lifting (pull/push) though. You don't want the bar to slip out of the grips when it is suspended above your face, such as with the skull crushers or bench, so make sure to face the gap upwards and away from you so the bar catches in the grip's pocket.

Let us know what you think of them and how they work out for you. Also keep me posted if you try that wave technique.

Good Luck

Kind of strange that as soon as this thread was started ads for fatgrips start appearing on the side of Sherdog...

Kind of strange that as soon as this thread was started ads for fatgrips start appearing on the side of Sherdog...

It's that Google ad thing, IIRC, it scours your browser for ad words and then generates an ad.

Mine came this morning, I'll be using them tomorrow. I'll post back on how it goes!

Just received my Fat Gripz today.
I bought them with the intention of strengthening my grip, so as to apply it in grappling (grabbing wrists, ankles, locking arms, etc.).

I'm thinking of adding 3x8 High Pulls (with Fat Gripz) at the end of every other workout.

Is this a good/bad idea? Any better ideas?

Last edited:
So I was wondering what everyone uses as cheap alternatives to these?

I saw that someone said handwraps work, I'm going to have to try that next time I lift.

I was thinking of making some out of a squat maxi pad, not the ones that are cloth with some foam/whatever inside, like this:

squat%20pad%202.jpg

but the ones that are like solid foam, I can't find any pictures of it. My school gym has one, and I was thinking of just getting it and cutting it into appropriate lengths. They would have velcro on them, and are one solid piece so I think it should work. It wouldn't be as thick as training with a 2" thick bar or however thick fat gripz are, but it may be better than nothing. Partnering that with the handwrap idea may work out good too.

Your thoughts?

So I was wondering what everyone uses as cheap alternatives to these?

Your thoughts?

Most types of soft foam (bar pad, PVC pipe insulation, etc.) are probably gonna have too much "give" to be useful as a bar fattener.

The cheap alternative I've used -- with good results -- is to get a pair of boxing hand wraps and wrap them around a barbell. It takes a few minutes to set up, but you can vary the thickness and there's not much "give" to the wraps once you get them put on the bar.

Most types of soft foam (bar pad, PVC pipe insulation, etc.) are probably gonna have too much "give" to be useful as a bar fattener.

The cheap alternative I've used -- with good results -- is to get a pair of boxing hand wraps and wrap them around a barbell. It takes a few minutes to set up, but you can vary the thickness and there's not much "give" to the wraps once you get them put on the bar.

The type I'm talking about didn't really have much give in it, I tried putting 2 maxi pads on a pull up bar, one of each since we don't have 2 of the other ones, and the solid one felt pretty, well, solid.

I mentioned the wraps, too. This may be just as cheap, but way faster. I'm going to have to mess around with it.

The type I'm talking about didn't really have much give in it, I tried putting 2 maxi pads on a pull up bar, one of each since we don't have 2 of the other ones, and the solid one felt pretty, well, solid.

I mentioned the wraps, too. This may be just as cheap, but way faster. I'm going to have to mess around with it.

Okay, so it looks like my previous post was completely unnecessary. :redface:

Just ordered a pair of Fat Gripz, looks like they're on sale for $29 + Shipping, decent price IMHO. Can't wait to start using them...

Back